By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spencer/Microsoft flip-flopping on Scorpio already....

I dont get it.

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
Ganoncrotch said:

You see no contradiction between those two statements?

I think even if all of the games on the X1 ran at 1080p you would still surely question why the 6teraflops would not make for a more stable framerate but the X1 library is littered with games which run at sub 1080p resolutions or dynamically dip from it when things get busy onscreen. Those games should all see a benefit from the Scorpio, suggesting they will not is just PR speak for "please continue to buy the system we're selling until holidays 2017"

No, because one statement was about how you don't see the benefit of 4k on a TV not 4k and the other statement was about other possible visual enhancement which you don't need a 4k TV for. 

He said:

"Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don’t have a 4K TV, the benefit we’ve designed for"

So, he says Scorpio was designed for the benefit of 4k and you obviously don't see 4k if you don't have a 4k TV. But just because Scorpio was desigend for this benefit doesn't mean that devs can't use Scorpio for other stuff. That is just not the main reason why Scorpio was designed and with that, without a 4k TV you won't see the benefit for what the console was designed for which is 4k. 

Pretty logical and as someone who hasn't English as native language I have no idea where people have a problem to differentiate between these statements. 

I have no idea what devs will really do for people who have no 4k screen but that the Scorpio won't bring you 4k to your 1080p screen even if the Scorpio was designed for 4k is nothing surprising...

Maybe this is the issue here, perhaps you could link to a post of someone asking will this console bring 4k visuals to a 1080p screen and I could explain to you what they mean.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Machiavellian said:

I believe Spencer want to make sure of is that people who purchase the Scorpio do not get it in their head they will see significant improvement to those older games.  If the Scorpio is 500 bones while the X1 S is 300 to 250, people might not see a dramitic enough difference to justify the price difference unless they are on a 4K TV where HDR, image resolution and higher frames let the system shine.

A game that is running at 900P now probably would not see no image enhancement and if its funning at 30fps really see no real improvement enough to justify the price for the new console.  Developers do have the option to patch the game but lets be honest, most will not.  Even when the scorpio comes out there is no real reason for developers to do anything more than build for the base level Xbox and probably just have a dynamic res so that the Scorpio can run the game t 1080P/60 all the time which is nice but definitely not that great dependong on scorpio cost.

I'm not sure though, would games need to be patched, if you take the graphics card out of your PC and slot in another better card you don't actually have to go through each and every game you own and say, hey.... you know... there is a new card here so imma need you to not stutter to a single digit of fps when that pile of rocks explodes into a billion particles, games just use the power as it comes, sure you need to change the graphics cards driver, but still you don't need to alter the games to run on the new hardware.

Sure you would need to change settings to alter things like 720/900p up to 1080p since that won't just auto change in games, but still any framerate issues with older X1 titles should be completely eliminated on the new machine.

Do not forget that if a game is designed to render at 900P, it does take code to change its rendering engine to render at a higher res.  Yes the Scorpio can upscale the image to 1080P but then again this is already done with your current X1 so it would not eliminate the same issues with textures you have with the current system besides frame rate.

Machiavellian said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I'm not sure though, would games need to be patched, if you take the graphics card out of your PC and slot in another better card you don't actually have to go through each and every game you own and say, hey.... you know... there is a new card here so imma need you to not stutter to a single digit of fps when that pile of rocks explodes into a billion particles, games just use the power as it comes, sure you need to change the graphics cards driver, but still you don't need to alter the games to run on the new hardware.

Sure you would need to change settings to alter things like 720/900p up to 1080p since that won't just auto change in games, but still any framerate issues with older X1 titles should be completely eliminated on the new machine.

Do not forget that if a game is designed to render at 900P, it does take code to change its rendering engine to render at a higher res.  Yes the Scorpio can upscale the image to 1080P but then again this is already done with your current X1 so it would not eliminate the same issues with textures you have with the current system besides frame rate.

You mean, don't forget that line above which I wrote about resolution not changing.... like exactly as I said.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

The only answer that makes technical sense is the one Spencer gave on Twitter, I'd be surprised to see games below 1080p on either the Neo or Scorpio...4K would be entirely possible, depending on the level of details they choose to target, and the desired grame rate.... but 4K would never be optimal for a GPU in the envelope they have in those machines (unless you count upscaling or image reconstruction techniques, but this is NOT like native 4K).

Around the Network

It doesn't matter how powerful your game console is. Once developers reach a peak with it, all games won't run as smoothly because developers are competing with each other to have the prettiest looking game to show gamers.

Lube Me Up

Ganoncrotch said:

You mean, don't forget that line above which I wrote about resolution not changing.... like exactly as I said.

This would only be correct if there were already settings in those games to change how the game natively renders its image within the frame buffer.  This is why a patch would be needed because I highly doubt as a developer if you did not already have this setting that its somewhere hidden in the game. Changing how the game natively render its image isn't something that would be a settings change unless it was designed that way.  If you are locking the game at 30fps and 900P, you probably do not have code in their to render natively at 1080P/60.