By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spencer/Microsoft flip-flopping on Scorpio already....

Ganoncrotch said:
crissindahouse said:

Not sure where the problem is? In one quote he says that the console is designed for 4k and you won't see the benefit of it if you don't have a 4k TV.

In the other quote he says that devs can still decide to use the power for something else which could be used for better visuals on a 1080p TV.

So, for MS the main reason for Scorpio was 4k and that's why he said that only with a 4k TV you will really profit from what the console was mainly designed for but it's up to the devs where their priorities are with more power. You will obviously benefit from Scorpio with a 1080p TV if games will look better then but you won't see 4k on a screen not supporting 4k and with that “no difference if you have no 4k screen“. Well, it would be still better even on a 1080p screen but you obviously don't get a higher resolution to see.

You see no contradiction between those two statements?

I think even if all of the games on the X1 ran at 1080p you would still surely question why the 6teraflops would not make for a more stable framerate but the X1 library is littered with games which run at sub 1080p resolutions or dynamically dip from it when things get busy onscreen. Those games should all see a benefit from the Scorpio, suggesting they will not is just PR speak for "please continue to buy the system we're selling until holidays 2017"

I believe Spencer want to make sure of is that people who purchase the Scorpio do not get it in their head they will see significant improvement to those older games.  If the Scorpio is 500 bones while the X1 S is 300 to 250, people might not see a dramitic enough difference to justify the price difference unless they are on a 4K TV where HDR, image resolution and higher frames let the system shine.

A game that is running at 900P now probably would not see no image enhancement and if its funning at 30fps really see no real improvement enough to justify the price for the new console.  Developers do have the option to patch the game but lets be honest, most will not.  Even when the scorpio comes out there is no real reason for developers to do anything more than build for the base level Xbox and probably just have a dynamic res so that the Scorpio can run the game t 1080P/60 all the time which is nice but definitely not that great dependong on scorpio cost.

Around the Network

So the Scorpio was barely announced, releases in +12 months, and you guys not only know its specs, but also the resolution of all of its games? Impressive...

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
So the Scorpio was barely announced, releases in +12 months, and you guys not only know its specs, but also the resolution of all of its games? Impressive...

Apparently half of the gaming community has a crystal ball that can predict the future.  

Slarvax said:

Just considering what it could do based on all that power under the hood, but at times it is getting compared to what that amount of teraflops in a PC GPU would do, which I think wont be the exact same quality when it comes to the X1, Games can be optimized so much more for a closed system like the X1 than on the PC, there wont(shouldn't) be games going onto that system which wont know what hardware they need to interact perfectly with.

Still though, it's fun to imagine what we'll be playing in 2 years :)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

smroadkill15 said:
Slarvax said:

Apparently half of the gaming community has a crystal ball that can predict the future.  

and the other half apparently only live in this second and can never anticipate what might come based on past events, May fly gamers must be the new trend!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I think even if all of the games on the X1 ran at 1080p you would still surely question why the 6teraflops would not make for a more stable framerate but the X1 library is littered with games which run at sub 1080p resolutions or dynamically dip from it when things get busy onscreen. Those games should all see a benefit from the Scorpio, suggesting they will not is just PR speak for "please continue to buy the system we're selling until holidays 2017"

I believe Spencer want to make sure of is that people who purchase the Scorpio do not get it in their head they will see significant improvement to those older games.  If the Scorpio is 500 bones while the X1 S is 300 to 250, people might not see a dramitic enough difference to justify the price difference unless they are on a 4K TV where HDR, image resolution and higher frames let the system shine.

A game that is running at 900P now probably would not see no image enhancement and if its funning at 30fps really see no real improvement enough to justify the price for the new console.  Developers do have the option to patch the game but lets be honest, most will not.  Even when the scorpio comes out there is no real reason for developers to do anything more than build for the base level Xbox and probably just have a dynamic res so that the Scorpio can run the game t 1080P/60 all the time which is nice but definitely not that great dependong on scorpio cost.

I'm not sure though, would games need to be patched, if you take the graphics card out of your PC and slot in another better card you don't actually have to go through each and every game you own and say, hey.... you know... there is a new card here so imma need you to not stutter to a single digit of fps when that pile of rocks explodes into a billion particles, games just use the power as it comes, sure you need to change the graphics cards driver, but still you don't need to alter the games to run on the new hardware.

Sure you would need to change settings to alter things like 720/900p up to 1080p since that won't just auto change in games, but still any framerate issues with older X1 titles should be completely eliminated on the new machine.

Guitarguy said:

When asked on Twitter if developers can instead go for 1080p with 60 frames per second and "massively upgraded visuals," Spencer replied, "We'll talk more about this later, but we never said we'd mandate 4K frame buffer, we won't."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-scorpio-wont-make-4k-mandatory-devs-could/1100-6441045/

And thennnnnn.....

“Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don’t have a 4K TV, the benefit we’ve designed for, you’re not going to see. Clearly, you can buy Scorpio, and if and when you decide you want to buy a 4K television to take advantage of the increased performance, obviously the console will be ready for you.”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2016/06/16/microsoft-dont-buy-xbox-scorpio-if-you-dont-have-a-4k-tv/#f8e1c3f33057

The first quote was made after the latter quote... Is this not a clear contradiction?

No, I don't see a contradiction going off of what you've quoted.

I do see what looks like a contradiction in your post: your

Guitarguy said:

And thennnnnn.....

implies that the first quote was made before the latter quote but then you state

Guitarguy said:

The first quote was made after the latter quote...

Ganoncrotch said:
smroadkill15 said:

and the other half apparently only live in this second and can never anticipate what might come based on past events, May fly gamers must be the new trend!

It's called the wait and see approach. Past events don't predict what might happen, and over half the time, things turn out very different than what people imagined. I.E the last 2 generation of consoles. And yet people continue to act like they know what's going to unfold. 

Ganoncrotch said:
crissindahouse said:

Not sure where the problem is? In one quote he says that the console is designed for 4k and you won't see the benefit of it if you don't have a 4k TV.

In the other quote he says that devs can still decide to use the power for something else which could be used for better visuals on a 1080p TV.

So, for MS the main reason for Scorpio was 4k and that's why he said that only with a 4k TV you will really profit from what the console was mainly designed for but it's up to the devs where their priorities are with more power. You will obviously benefit from Scorpio with a 1080p TV if games will look better then but you won't see 4k on a screen not supporting 4k and with that “no difference if you have no 4k screen“. Well, it would be still better even on a 1080p screen but you obviously don't get a higher resolution to see.

No, because one statement was about how you don't see the benefit of 4k on a TV not 4k and the other statement was about other possible visual enhancement which you don't need a 4k TV for. 

He said:

"Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don’t have a 4K TV, the benefit we’ve designed for"

So, he says Scorpio was designed for the benefit of 4k and you obviously don't see 4k if you don't have a 4k TV. But just because Scorpio was desigend for this benefit doesn't mean that devs can't use Scorpio for other stuff. That is just not the main reason why Scorpio was designed and with that, without a 4k TV you won't see the benefit for what the console was designed for which is 4k. 

Pretty logical and as someone who hasn't English as native language I have no idea where people have a problem to differentiate between these statements. 

I have no idea what devs will really do for people who have no 4k screen but that the Scorpio won't bring you 4k to your 1080p screen even if the Scorpio was designed for 4k is nothing surprising...

Guitarguy said:

When asked on Twitter if developers can instead go for 1080p with 60 frames per second and "massively upgraded visuals," Spencer replied, "We'll talk more about this later, but we never said we'd mandate 4K frame buffer, we won't."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-scorpio-wont-make-4k-mandatory-devs-could/1100-6441045/

And thennnnnn.....

“Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don’t have a 4K TV, the benefit we’ve designed for, you’re not going to see. Clearly, you can buy Scorpio, and if and when you decide you want to buy a 4K television to take advantage of the increased performance, obviously the console will be ready for you.”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2016/06/16/microsoft-dont-buy-xbox-scorpio-if-you-dont-have-a-4k-tv/#f8e1c3f33057

The first quote was made after the latter quote... Is this not a clear contradiction?

Why did you write this as if the second quote was made after the first? To be confusing? 

In order this is a complete non story.  Sounds like MS directly responding to a question and clarifying that they are not FORCING devs to release at 4k.  What MS wants and what they are mandating are 2 different things it appears.