By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spencer/Microsoft flip-flopping on Scorpio already....

Wright said:
Guitarguy said:

There will be if we start seeing upgraded games running at 1080P with higher frame rates/effects compared to standard though yes?

Eh, no, because then again, those games that buffer at 4K won't be visible in non-4K TVs.

Lol good luck with that buddy.

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:

You're the one that's seeing a contradiction where there's none. In fact, you agreed with Pokoko and his very first words were "Not a contradiction [...]".

Microsoft intend Scorpio to be a 4k gaming console, but they can't prevent developers to offer other improvements to games with the extra power, that's all.

Tim and The Princes...

This all about MS trying to cover the fact that sparingly few X1 games could hit 1080p in the first place. They're just pulling this '4K gaming' stunt to convice people that X1 is the most powerful console on the market

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Wright said:
Guitarguy said:

You're the one that's seeing a contradiction where there's none. In fact, you agreed with Pokoko and his very first words were "Not a contradiction [...]".

Did not state what part of his post I agreed with(that latter part).

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:

But the later part is a consequence of admitting that it is not a contradiction...

Wright said:
Guitarguy said:

But the later part is a consequence of admitting that it is not a contradiction...

Read on its own, maybe. But I do see those two quotes as being complete contradictions really. I see them as conflictin statements. One says you will see no benefit from the Scorpio if you don't have a 4K TV and the other strongly implies that is will be possible to see benefit even with a 1080P TV. We will find out in time though.

They designed it with 4K in mind, but it's not mandatory for game devs to make games in 4k, see those 900p games upscaled to 1080p in a lot of games? oh right.....

fleischr said:
This all about MS trying to cover the fact that sparingly few X1 games could hit 1080p in the first place. They're just pulling this '4K gaming' stunt to convice people that X1 is the most powerful console on the market

I don't think anyone is under that impression right now, not with the current ps4/X1 models out there.

Phils statements about the Scorpio are going to contradict a small bit, on one hand he has the sales team telling him that he has to sell the X1 and X1-S consoles for the next 18 months, those systems have to be put forwards as market leaders until Christmas of next year, so he is going to be some what downplaying what the Scorpio will do for standard 1080p gaming on the X1 until it's closer to launch, no one wants to tell their current customers that the current product they're buying is inferior for what they want to do with it which is 1080p gaming.

I think most people would agree that with 6teraflops of power it would be very difficult to make the X1-Scorp run a 720p or 900p game at a stuttering 20fps or so, just... it would take actual skill to manage this.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Guitarguy said:

Read on its own, maybe. But I do see those two quotes as being complete contradictions really. I see them as conflictin statements. One says you will see no benefit from the Scorpio if you don't have a 4K TV and the other strongly implies that is will be possible to see benefit even with a 1080P TV. We will find out in time though.

People already have pointed out how this works. I'll try to explain it with logic connectors:

Phil Spencer said Console A will be able to play X games and you need X Televisions to fully grasp at them. Those who don't have X televisions won't enjoy the full potential of X games.

At the same time, Phil Spencer admits that X games aren't being enforced, and the developers can make Y games if they want. Y Games can be enjoyed in both X Televisions and Y Televisions. If you get a X Game, though, Y Television won't be able to fully grasp its potential.

X Games can only be enjoyed in X televisions (4K ones)

Y Games (When the developer don't work in 4K) can be enjoyed in both X and Y televisions.

Scorpio won't enforce developers to create X Games only. Meaning you won't need an X Television to fully enjoy All scorpio games, but Some.