By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (Updated now with poll) E3: Zelda Breath of the Wild Vs Horizon Zero Dawn = which one has the "wow factor"?

Which one had the biggest "WOW! Factor"?

Zelda 273 58.84%

Horizon 179 38.58%

None 12 2.59%

Total:464

I was actually dissapointed with Horizon Dawn. I wanted it to be a 3D Action game (more similar to Zelda), but it looks like just another shooter with an action adventure paint over it. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe shooting or bow&arrowing isnt the only combat option, but if I get a PS4 (which I'm seriously considering after this E3) and they showed all the combat in HZD, I'm not getting this game.

And I still haven't seen that much of Zelda, but what I've seen and read through Twitter, I am very satisfied (and as a guy who dislikes all 3D Zelda, it looks fantastic). But I still think they can screw it up. Let's not call it "Best in the franchise" yet.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
I was actually dissapointed with Horizon Dawn. I wanted it to be a 3D Action game (more similar to Zelda), but it looks like just another shooter with an action adventure paint over it. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe shooting or bow&arrowing isnt the only combat option, but if I get a PS4 (which I'm seriously considering after this E3) and they showed all the combat in HZD, I'm not getting this game.

And I still haven't seen that much of Zelda, but what I've seen and read through Twitter, I am very satisfied (and as a guy who dislikes all 3D Zelda, it looks fantastic). But I still think they can screw it up. Let's not call it "Best in the franchise" yet.

While I am okay with it, it does indeed feel like Far Cry meet Witcher in gameplay aspects. So I understand the concern. However I still feel I will like Horizon will be better for me. 

Wyrdness said:
Normchacho said:

No...It's like the other games because I'm sitting here watch them play it and it looks like a 3D Zelda game. It's certainly evolved, and it's adopted things from modern open world rpgs, but the way it looks and the way it appears to play are Zelda through and through.

Which isn't a dig at Zelda in any way, but saying Horizon looks standard when comparing it to a Zelda game is silly.

Except no Zelda game utilizes and combines sandbox and survival elements, I've watched Horizons gameplay walkthroughs as well so I can see where he was coming from as the game looks technically good but the gameplay didn't match the technical achievements. The new Zelda only vaguely resembles the previous games.

I...what? There are new systems in the new Zelda...but the combat and most of the actual gameplay itself is nearly identical to previous Zelda games.

Also, your argument is different than the one I was responding to. You just seem to be more interested in Zelda, which, whatever, that's fine. The person I was responding to said that Horizon was basically Shadows of Mordor with dino-robots and that Zelda was more than a Zelda game.

Breath of the Wild is way more like other 3D Zelda games than Horizon is like SoM.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

This thread is literally asking for console warfare.

I personally don't get much out of Horizon. I'm hoping they escalate the gameplay, or the plot, or something, because right now there isn't much in it for me.

Zelda looks excellent but is still got some clear issues left to fix, and I can only hope the NX version looks better because while the game is gorgeous, it's clearly pushing the Wii U's limits.

But to answer the question: Who cares? They're not really comparable games and it's going to come down to a simple Sony v Nintendo argument almost every time if you try to compare them.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Horizon looks better but I trust Zelda more as a franchise then something brand new from Guerilla TBH. Never the less, gameplay wise I am far more intrigued by Horizon, if it delivers, and waiting for a new handheld Zelda myself

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
pokoko said:
1) more impressive? -- Horizon, without doubt.

2) more unique? -- I'll give this to Zelda. At this point in the industry, Zelda-type games are less common.

3) More intriguing? -- Horizon, without a doubt. I want to explore that world and understand it.

4) more fun? -- Horizon combat obliterates anything Zelda has shown. Watching both trailers, I was almost itching to get my hands on Horizon and fight some of those monsters. It looks like you have an absolute ton of options, including hacking technobeasts. That's awesome. Horizon combat looks incredibly fun. The Zelda combat in the trailer (that's all I've seen) is nowhere near as interesting or exciting. And game-play is king, right?

I feel like your opinion is one of the ones I respect most due to it not being charged with petty bias.

edit: (petty in this case meaning trivial details blown up to huge proportions to the point of being almost false)

Thank you.  I try to be somewhat objective.  In this case, I think we're dealing with two games that will both be very, very good, though each of them might appeal to different people.  Honestly, I think I would enjoy both of them.  

Right now, I feel like I know a lot more about the actual game-play of Horizon so comparing them doesn't feel that meaningful.

I think Zelda will have the edge in exploration, puzzling and maybe even weapon variety. I was never and am still not sold on Horizon to be honest.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

vivster said:

I can't really understand all the wow about the trailer. Then again considering which forum we're on it's understandable. They showed us a poorly rendered empty open world with "new" gameplay mechanics from the stone age. It looks good but I cannot see any WOW in that trailer.

Comparing it with the Horizon gameplay trailer is actually a pretty bad insult.

pretty much this.

i dont understand whats impressive about the Zelda Trailer. after playing a game like The Witcher 3, zelda just looked empty, static and... average. 

Horizon is putting so much effort into making the world feel alive, inhabited by both humans and the mech robots, while still feelings like nature has overcome the ruins of "the old ones". and when it comes to combat and gameplay, well, just look at the videos and see for yourself. Horizon looks like its on another level. 

I'm a Zelda fan so Zelda of course :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

bananaking21 said:
vivster said:

I can't really understand all the wow about the trailer. Then again considering which forum we're on it's understandable. They showed us a poorly rendered empty open world with "new" gameplay mechanics from the stone age. It looks good but I cannot see any WOW in that trailer.

Comparing it with the Horizon gameplay trailer is actually a pretty bad insult.

pretty much this.

i dont understand whats impressive about the Zelda Trailer. after playing a game like The Witcher 3, zelda just looked empty, static and... average. 

Horizon is putting so much effort into making the world feel alive, inhabited by both humans and the mech robots, while still feelings like nature has overcome the ruins of "the old ones". and when it comes to combat and gameplay, well, just look at the videos and see for yourself. Horizon looks like its on another level. 

You just cannot see anything beyond graphics do you? Honestly I doubt you have touched a single Zelda game in your entire life so it comes as a no surprise you dont see the hype.