By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (Updated now with poll) E3: Zelda Breath of the Wild Vs Horizon Zero Dawn = which one has the "wow factor"?

Which one had the biggest "WOW! Factor"?

Zelda 273 58.84%

Horizon 179 38.58%

None 12 2.59%

Total:464
Ali_16x said:
KLAMarine said:

I did watch the Horizon trailer and wished to get more information from bananaking. The reason I ask is because I don't see very many other humans during the trailer. There's a guy up atop a tower and then some guy with a beard if memory serves. There's certainly wildlife though not sure to what extent they interact with each other when left undisturbed.

Yes there were only two but correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't seen all of the Zelda footage, but were there even any NPCs in the Zelda footage they showed? Because from the ones I've seen there were 0.

I recall an NPC, a bearded man, who gives Link an apple of some sort. This occurred during the treehouse demo.

Ali_16x said:

And Horizon actually seems more dense, rather more open than the way Zelda does it. So a dense world seems more alive than a open world.

Hmm, I'd argue the real world features wildlife living farther apart from each other than how they are shown in Horizon.

Please don't mistake this as me saying LoZ is the superior game or something, I don't feel that way at all. Neither of these games are yet to release.

Around the Network

Why are these being compared? They're not that similar! I'm excited for both. The Zelda series is my favorite game series of all time, so personally, I'm more interested in Zelda. That said,
1. Horizon has more "new" stuff. Everything new in Breath of the Wild isn't new in gaming, it's just new in Zelda. Horizon has a female lead (not new, but still very rare in games) and so far, every living thing we've seen that isn't human or plant is a robot. Never seen that in game. Hence, Horizon is more unique.
2. Horizon has better realistic graphics, but Zelda has one of the best toon graphics I've ever seen, right next to Appleseed Ex Machina, 009 Re: Cyborg and CrackDown3. The explosions are more gorgeous than realistic explosions (maybe because I've realistic too many times) in the eye of this beholder. Art style is probably the only area where Zelda is more unique.
3. Anyone that has played Zelda knows how puzzle heavy it will be. They've told us there are over a 100 shrines (read: micro and mini dungeons), and if there's about 9 dungeons like there usually is, that's a lot of puzzling. Horizon's combat is bound to be deeper and more fleshed out than Zelda's. It's made by Guerrila games.
4. Horizon will have a better story, better cutscenes and probably will be fully voice acted. Zelda will probably have voice acted cut scenes, since we heard an audible voice wake Link up at the start of the game. VERY DIFFERENT GAMES!
I'm still not sure why we're comparing them. Is it because they're both open world and feature a protagonist that can wield a bow? I want to play both for very different reasons, and I'll genuinely be extremely surprised if Horizon is a better game than Zelda (not by my fanboy opinions, but by the opinion of the majority of gamers and critics). That won't stop me from playing Horizon. Why exactly are we comparing them again?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

KLAMarine said:
Ali_16x said:

Yes there were only two but correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't seen all of the Zelda footage, but were there even any NPCs in the Zelda footage they showed? Because from the ones I've seen there were 0.

I recall an NPC, a bearded man, who gives Link an apple of some sort. This occurred during the treehouse demo.

Ali_16x said:

And Horizon actually seems more dense, rather more open than the way Zelda does it. So a dense world seems more alive than a open world.

Hmm, I'd argue the real world features wildlife living farther apart from each other than how they are shown in Horizon.

Please don't mistake this as me saying LoZ is the superior game or something, I don't feel that way at all. Neither of these games are yet to release.

Ok but come on. They streamed the game for what? 5 hours? And all we saw was 1 person? We've only seen Horizon for a total of 15 minutes. This game is like the Witcher 3, there will be towns and a bunch of NPCs in which we get quests from.

Well it doesn't matter about the real world, these are video games. And we're talking about what it makes the game feel alive. If everywhere you go, you see Robot dinosaurs, I would say it's alive.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Ali_16x said:
KLAMarine said:

I did watch the Horizon trailer and wished to get more information from bananaking. The reason I ask is because I don't see very many other humans during the trailer. There's a guy up atop a tower and then some guy with a beard if memory serves. There's certainly wildlife though not sure to what extent they interact with each other when left undisturbed.

Yes there were only two but correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't seen all of the Zelda footage, but were there even any NPCs in the Zelda footage they showed? Because from the ones I've seen there were 0. And Horizon actually seems more dense, rather more open than the way Zelda does it. So a dense world seems more alive than a open world.

There were 8: The old man, four Shiekah for each shrine, and three or so Koroks. 

Plus they mentioned that they were avoiding towns for story reasons. So... 

They both look great, but I'd have to go with Zelda. Being able to do these things for the first time in a Zelda game is way more intriguing to me due to the games lore than Horizon

I will be getting both games, got the collectors for horizon preordered :D

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
Ali_16x said:
KLAMarine said:

Ok but come on. They streamed the game for what? 5 hours? And all we saw was 1 person?

I can't attest to all five hours but at the same time, I'm not claiming the game will be filled to the brim with NPCs. I play LoZ for minigames and puzzles, big and small, so I'm good with a moderate amount of NPCs as long as they're interesting.

As a matter of fact, I'm skeptical of this new direction. I'm old-fashioned: I want my dungeons, I want my gadgets and gizmos for those dungeons. Hoping the game can deliver in this respect.

Ali_16x said:

We've only seen Horizon for a total of 15 minutes. This game is like the Witcher 3, there will be towns and a bunch of NPCs in which we get quests from.

Let's reserve such a judgement until after Horizon has released.

Ali_16x said:

Well it doesn't matter about the real world, these are video games. And we're talking about what it makes the game feel alive. If everywhere you go, you see Robot dinosaurs, I would say it's alive.

Just trying to establish there's more than one way to make a game feel alive.

KLAMarine said:
Ali_16x said:

Ok but come on. They streamed the game for what? 5 hours? And all we saw was 1 person?

I can't attest to all five hours but at the same time, I'm not claiming the game will be filled to the brim with NPCs. I play LoZ for minigames and puzzles, big and small, so I'm good with a moderate amount of NPCs as long as they're interesting.

As a matter of fact, I'm skeptical of this new direction. I'm old-fashioned: I want my dungeons, I want my gadgets and gizmos for those dungeons. Hoping the game can deliver in this respect.

Ali_16x said:

We've only seen Horizon for a total of 15 minutes. This game is like the Witcher 3, there will be towns and a bunch of NPCs in which we get quests from.

Ali_16x said:

Just trying to establish there's more than one way to make a game feel alive.

Have you checked out the dungeon gameplay? They said it'll have 100 mini dungeons that are focused on puzzles and it has those gadgets so I wouldn't be worried.

Well I don't doubt that the game will have towns and quests, but for whether it's good, yes we'll have to wait.

"Just trying to establish there's more than one way to make a game feel alive."

Yeah but I guess I'm just saying what makes a game feel alive for me, and of course we all have different opinions. I find that Zelda is somewhere between a dense open world like Witcher 3 where the maps aren't really big, just packed and open open world like Just Cause 3 where it has a huge map that really isn't dense.

Horizon look far better in visuals, game world, uniqueness and realistic. Zelda open world looks like last gen and has gameplay elements of retro style which is not realistic but I agree its fun to play. For me, its horizon which has wow factor as its trying to be realistic, has complex and new gamplay style which requires strategy and more story focused so far what we have seen, where zelda is not.

EDIT:

One thing I see from many people who voted for Zelda are going blindly and biased that it will be a better game as its trying new which has not dong before in Zelda and has showed more gameplay elements in the trailer which is actually not somethign new and they just applied retro gameplay in open world game and its kind of disconnecting me due to not being realistic.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Horizon is a realistic looking videogame. Zelda BotW is art, a journey, a dream.

sam987 said:
Horizon is a realistic looking videogame. Zelda BotW is art, a journey, a dream.

Horizon is realistic? What world are you living in. How isn't Horizon a art, a journey, or a dream? Horizon has built an amazing world, with a very interesting story.