By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (Updated now with poll) E3: Zelda Breath of the Wild Vs Horizon Zero Dawn = which one has the "wow factor"?

Which one had the biggest "WOW! Factor"?

Zelda 273 58.84%

Horizon 179 38.58%

None 12 2.59%

Total:464
Wyrdness said:

Well this makes more sense now, on what we're debating I disagree as it comes down to the overall execution of the game, cool features I mentioned make up for that short coming because the world is designed in such a way to encourage their use. A common problem with many open world games in general is that they have these lush envirionments but what you do in them is pretty uninteresting, after the novalty of looking at the nice landscape has passed the game starts to suffer.

The Zelda seems geared towards what you as the player can do to engage yourself while having a good artistic look for the world as opposed to being overly lush. You may not have thousands of NPCs running around but it's looking like you'd have a tonne of different things to do or play around with.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Especially the bold. My point this whole time, has been that some people aren't happy with that focus, and for them, the world seems empty because it doesn't have the lushness or density they are looking for.

It's a matter of someones tastes not lining up with the games focus. The reason there was an argument over it, is because there were insinuations that the people that felt that way did so because they didn't know what they were talking about. I was mearly pointing out that it was a valid opinion to hold.

As I've said a few times now, this won't stop me from buying and enjoying the game though.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

It seems to me that you've never seen a studio Ghibli film. Zelda looks closer to cell-shaded.

Really? Its so damn obvious this looks like Ghibli that it hurts, and yes i have seen every single movie the company has done, this is clearly inspired by that style.

Yes, really. In any case, I've never watched a studio Ghibli animation that looks so dead and lifeless.

Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Really? Its so damn obvious this looks like Ghibli that it hurts, and yes i have seen every single movie the company has done, this is clearly inspired by that style.

Yes, really. In any case, I've never watched a studio Ghibli animation that looks so dead and lifeless.

You must be completley blind if you think the game looked dead, but I think you have already proven that by not seeing how obviously based on the Ghibli artstyle it is. 

Horizon in all 4 categories for me. While the artstyle of LoZ is nice, it's just not very impressive. I assume that was the Wii U version we saw, because if that's what NX is going to be outputting it's disappointing.

I'm definitely more interested in discovering Alloy's world, so now it's on GG to make it the discovery a pleasurable experience. Pedigree-wise it's clear Nintendo has a major reputational advantage in being able to deliver on what looks promising.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Normchacho said:
Wyrdness said:

Well this makes more sense now, on what we're debating I disagree as it comes down to the overall execution of the game, cool features I mentioned make up for that short coming because the world is designed in such a way to encourage their use. A common problem with many open world games in general is that they have these lush envirionments but what you do in them is pretty uninteresting, after the novalty of looking at the nice landscape has passed the game starts to suffer.

The Zelda seems geared towards what you as the player can do to engage yourself while having a good artistic look for the world as opposed to being overly lush. You may not have thousands of NPCs running around but it's looking like you'd have a tonne of different things to do or play around with.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Especially the bold. My point this whole time, has been that some people aren't happy with that focus, and for them, the world seems empty because it doesn't have the lushness or density they are looking for.

It's a matter of someones tastes not lining up with the games focus. The reason there was an argument over it, is because there were insinuations that the people that felt that way did so because they didn't know what they were talking about. I was mearly pointing out that it was a valid opinion to hold.

As I've said a few times now, this won't stop me from buying and enjoying the game though.

I'll be honest, you haven't been making that too clear.  One of the reasons it isn't clear, I think, is the way you phrase the stuff you say.  

Around the Network
Normchacho said:

1. I can't tell if you're being serious? The Witcher is an open world game. Uncharted is not. Zelda, is an open world game. Why are we even talking about this?

2. When someone is comparing something to something else, they don't need to be at opposite ends of a spectrum to be different. So when someone says the world is "empty" they don't actually mean they think Nintendo started the stream, and it was litterally a perfectly flat, baren stretch of nothingness.

3. I agree 100%. However, the world in BotW isn't one step away from having towns every 100 feet or being crowded in any way. If you doubled the amount of trees and animals, and obsticals, ect. in the world. It still wouldn't feel crowded.

4. I'll refer you back to 2 and 3 for the first part of this point. The world in Far Cry 4 has a lot more going on in it than BotW seems to. That doesn't nessicarily mean that the player has objectives all over the place. Just that the game world has lots of other things in it besides just things that the player needs to interact with to progress through the game.

5. I recommend you go back and read some more of this thread. you'll find the posts you seek. That 5 (4 actually) hours of gameplay was different people playing in the same area. How many times did those people go over the same areas and do the same things? How much of that time was spend travelling from one thing to another?

Your last two lines are litteraly the point. The game is "emptier" than some other games. Some people feel that makes the game worse.

1. The Witcher 3 is semi-open world.  You can't walk from white orchard to novigrad without going through an instanced screen, for example. This is obviously not the case with Zelda. My point is that world density has much more to do with genre than whether the world is open or not. 

2. Okay, did I assume that? The game is still not empty. Literally in the first 20 minutes of the live-stream Link meets an old man, gets five weapons, cuts down trees, burns entire bushes on fire, explores three different locales (including a ruined church, a lake, and a road toward a mountain path), walks past some of the dead machine enemies (foreshadowing future encounter), and kills two camps of Bokoblin. And that was only a scratch of the surface of the live-stream. When somebody says a world is "empty" the most common implication is that there is nothing to do in the world, not that the environments aren't super detailed. 

3.  What is the point of doubling the number of trees and animals? For starters, these are resources in the game that one can used, so it is important they aren't overabundant. Especially since one theme of the game is survivalism. I think there is a good number of trees and animals anyway (you find them in herds, and for this reason it feels more alive and less videogamey.) Having forests forever is not interesting, either. It makes it difficult to distinguish environments, and produce an internal world map. I don't feel the game is "empty", it might be "emptier" than a certain RPG game, just because it is larger, but I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. I like that there are distinguishable locations that are easily recognizable, and not Bandit camp #100 in a forest area that looks so similar to the one right next to it you get lost. 

4. Really? Most of the world of Far Cry 4 has nothing you can do in it. You can only find stuff at checkpoints (Skyrim-style.) It sure is a detailed and realistic world, but in order to do anything you have to travel a good bit. I'd say you have to travel much more than you do in BotW, from what I saw, to encounter anything really. 

5. Very little. Almost every time they played they showed a different part of that single area. And within that area you had snowy landscapes, forests,mountains, rivers, lakes, and deserts (much more than an entire map of some of the RPGs people would not call "empty.") And this game is "fuller" than many other acclaimed open-world games. For example, I'd say Fallout 4 is much "emptier" than BotW and that was released last year. The only game I can think of that is denser is The Witcher 3, and that is because the game is exceptionally dense, but it comes at the cost of repetitive environments that aren't always unique. Please explain how Far Cry 4 is fuller though. This map gives a good idea of how dense Far Cry 4 is. Wherever there is a map marker there is something to do. Everywhere else is just scenery. 

One worry I have about Horizon is monologing. Too much monologing while your playing kinda makes one yearn for the silent protagonist. Monologing is a more subtle way of giving hints in a game than having big hint messages flashing up on screen, but it should be used after the player has spent some time faffing around seeming to not know what to do next, not to be pro actively telling you what's next all the time.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Zelda manages to excite me cause i already know what to expect.

Horizon quite honestly bores me. I'm sure i will get it eventually, but i'm not excited for it or anything. I don't know. Part of it is indeed that i don't know what to expect, but also the combat, characters and giant dinos failed to captivate me.

Horizon, that's not even a question, it felt unbelievable the first time we saw it.

While Zelda trailer didnt really give the wow expected, even seemed a bit empty

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

As someone more familiar with Zelda (and the creators), I go with Zelda on 3 and 4. Tie on 2, Horizon on 1 (really, it's not much of a contest). I see the potential on Horizon, I just don't know I can trust the game to live up to what it's showing off. At least I have seen a lot of what is in Zelda and feel like I can have more confidence in the game delivering.

Also, I don't think Horizon is as "original" as people say. When I first saw the trailer, I thought that the story's setting was a bit generic, though I was thinking that it was okay because it's a game and probably a first for gaming (at least on the "AAA" scale). I am interested in seeing how the game will turn out. Hope it does end up as good as it seems to promise, but we've seen a lot of promising games fall flat lately.