By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Florida Pulse gay club attacked.

Soundwave said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Guns are not to blame for this tragedy. It is bad man who bought a high powered gun and carried out an unspeakable terrorist attack. If more people had guns they may have stopped this guy from carrying out this terrorist attack.

He would not have been able to kill probably even 70% of those people if he didn't have access to an AR-15. There was an ARMED off duty police officer at the front of the club, he couldn't do anything to stop this guy because he was overwhlemed by the amount of fire power the guy had. 

That's completely false. He could have used a bomb, poisons/type of chemical to kill probably even more americans without being able to catch him easily. If someone wants to commit mass murder or acts of terrorism, they'll learn of different ways to do so even if you take all of the guns in the world away. People can't be disarmed to the point where murder or mass murder is no longer commited. It's truly a fantasy to think otherwise. 

Guns are just the most convenient way to kill another person but not the most effective. A ban of guns would not translate to a safer america or world because the root problem is not being addressed in most cases. For example, street violence is commited by people with a certain mindset that justifies it and a way of life that condones it, that breeds more individuals with a similar way of thinking. If you want less street violence, the individuals behind it, their mindset has to be changed one way or another. Same thing with islamic extremism or religous extremism. 

Which way would prevent further attacks like the one in orlando from happening, banning some semi-auto rifles or changing/forcibly removing the belief system of that guy that justified his actions in his mind? Which way would bear the most fruit world wide?

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Soundwave said:

He would not have been able to kill probably even 70% of those people if he didn't have access to an AR-15. There was an ARMED off duty police officer at the front of the club, he couldn't do anything to stop this guy because he was overwhlemed by the amount of fire power the guy had. 

That's completely false. He could have used a bomb, poisons/type of chemical to kill probably even more americans without being able to catch him easily. If someone wants to commit mass murder or acts of terrorism, they'll learn of different ways to do so even if you take all of the guns in the world away. People can't be disarmed to the point where murder or mass murder is no longer commited. It's truly a fantasy to think otherwise. 

Guns are just the most convenient way to kill another person but not the most effective. A ban of guns would not translate to a safer america or world because the root problem is not being addressed in most cases. For example, street violence is commited by people with a certain mindset that justifies it and a way of life that condones it, that breeds more individuals with a similar way of thinking. If you want less street violence, the individuals behind it, their mindset has to be changed one way or another. Same thing with islamic extremism or religous extremism. 

Which way would prevent further attacks like the one in orlando from happening, banning some semi-auto rifles or changing/forcibly removing the belief system of that guy that justified his actions in his mind? Which way would bear the most fruit world wide?

Well, for one no civilized country in the world has the gun problems the US has, the US has more gun violence than like all of Europe and Canada and Australia and Japan combined despite having a lower population. 

So if it doesn't make one bit of difference, why not allow people to purchase bazookas or rocket launchers? I've never really been a gun guy, but a bazooka seems pretty cool, that would fall under the "right to bear arms", why not allow people to carry say a rocket launcher? Or grenades?  

We don't even know what belief system this guy had in his head, it sounds like he had serious issues with his own sexuality and this may have more in common with just a standard mass shooting, I mean who spends 3 years going a gay bar on a monthly basis just to "case" the place? How exactly are you going to "forcibly remove a belief system" from someone's mind? Good luck with that if they're mentally ill on top of that. 

Soundwave said:
Aeolus451 said:

Well, for one no civilized country in the world has the gun problems the US has, the US has more gun violence than like all of Europe and Canada and Australia and Japan combined despite having a lower population. 

So if it doesn't make one bit of difference, why not allow people to purchase bazookas or rocket launchers? I've never really been a gun guy, but a bazooka seems pretty cool, that would fall under the "right to bear arms", why not allow people to carry say a rocket launcher? Or grenades?  

We don't even know what belief system this guy had in his head, it sounds like he had serious issues with his own sexuality and this may have more in common with just a standard mass shooting, I mean who spends 3 years going a gay bar on a monthly basis just to "case" the place? How exactly are you going to "forcibly remove a belief system" from someone's mind? 

As soon as you mentioned bazookas, I gave up all hopes of having a rational conversation with ya.

Aeolus451 said:
Soundwave said:

We don't even know what belief system this guy had in his head, it sounds like he had serious issues with his own sexuality and this may have more in common with just a standard mass shooting, I mean who spends 3 years going a gay bar on a monthly basis just to "case" the place? How exactly are you going to "forcibly remove a belief system" from someone's mind? 

As soon as you mentioned bazookas, I gave up all hopes of having a rational conversation with ya.

I think you know you can't win on that point. And honestly I would definitely be down to go to a rocket launcher range, guns are lame by comparison but a rocket launcher? So why can't we have rocket launchers? 

Or does common sense have to factor in at some point. 

If it's all down to mindset, then are there not criminals in places like Canada and UK and Germany and Australia? How come they have very little gun violence by comparison? 

Soundwave said:
Aeolus451 said:

I think you know you can't win on that point. And honestly I would definitely be down to go to a rocket launcher range, guns are lame by comparison. So why can't we have rocket launchers? 

It's a mute point because that no one has brought up wanting those things in a serious way. We're talking about semi-auto guns not grenades and bazookas but you know that. *Rolls eyes  Could you stop exaggerating?

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Soundwave said:

I think you know you can't win on that point. And honestly I would definitely be down to go to a rocket launcher range, guns are lame by comparison. So why can't we have rocket launchers? 

It's a mute point because that no one has brought up wanting those things in a serious way. We're talking about semi-auto guns not grenades and bazookas but you know that. *Rolls eyes  Could you stop exaggerating?

The 2nd ammendment technically doesn't specify guns it says "right to bear and keep arms", so why then are there arbitrary lines? Why not allow citizens to purchase say a grenade launcher? The reason why is some dumb fuck could take that and level a city block with it, so we don't allow it. The point is the 2nd ammendment is not a be all end all for anyone to have to right to own whatever they want, we have limitations already that even probably the most nutjob NRA types would agree with. 

If there are arbitrary lines based on common sense, then maybe it is common sense that some random guy off the street should not be able to purchase an assualt weapon like an AR-15 that's so powerful that it can overwhelm even an armed police officer sitting infront of a night club and kill 50 people in a matter of minutes. 

Apparently there were actually *two* armed off duty cops sitting outside this club and they couldn't do jack shit to stop this guy because he had a weapon that they were completely ineffective in countering. And if it's just down to "bad people with bad minds" then why does the US have so many more disturbed individuals versus other 1st world countries? It must just be a coincidence that the most country with the most guns has (shock and awe) the most gun violence. 

Goodnightmoon said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Our capitalist system killed more people communism? I don't understand this statement. I mean its estimated communism has killed like 100 million people, maybe you need to elaborate your point.

The system the middle east has doesn't need to be perfect, but its a fucking mess. More importantly, its a mess that kills people in the west because our way of life is an afront to them. They need to be wiped out and maybe there just isn't a place in this world Islamic extremist.

Yeah, and when you combine all the conflicts caused for Capitalism since S.XIX the number is way higher than that, there's even some estimations that go up to 1.5 billions of deaths, and while is hard to get exact information from very old conflicts, we dont need to go so far in time, more accurate estimations says that EEUU has killed around 20m of people since 2nd world War in more than 200 operations, more deaths than the Holocaust, 2m just in relatively recent wars, of course this is that kind of data TV never shows specially in USA so people dont get their american ego hurt and maybe they start to question if there is something wrong with their system.

My extreme left wing propaganda senses is tingling.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Hiku said:

1. My original point here was that this particular chart you provided was intentionally misleading, as Norway would not even have been on that list if it didn't just focus on a few select years, let alone be above the USA. And when you compare Norway to a US state, it's still a USA problem, as the government has authority over all their states. But earlier you said mass-shootings, not gun violence. Those are different. For the former, the law can reduce the likelyhood of incidents, but can't fully prevent them, or control where the next unstable person will emerge. One single individual can alter the statistics drastically in this regard, unlike general gun violence.
The latter requires a lot more comparisons between the states and their laws than simply "one has stricter gun laws". If one state for example has significantly more immigration, segregation, poverty, etc than the other, that state having more gun violence in spite of having stricter gun laws than another state with less gun restrictions is not evidence of it not having a positive effect. Easy legal access from surrounding states is another factor. But you already know all that. Let's not ask questions we already know the answer to, and try to stick to the main points that gets the discussion moving forward. After this post I will start start focusing on the more relevant parts and condense my thoughts.

2. The manufacturing purpose and sales of those guns change along with the law. If guns were completely banned for civilians, the only guns legally manufactured would be for military and law ennforcement, etc. And the price of guns on the black market would also rise, discouraging more people from obtaining them illegally.

3. It's not high noon in the wild west any more. And perhaps an outside perspective may be needed for some people to realize that. But I'm sure most locals understand that it's not aplicable in any realistic scenario today, without it beainf treason. And either way, everyone knows that it would lead to a certain death.

4. That a much more strict nationwide gun control might save no lives but increase killings instead is an absurd notion without strong evidence to support it. Cherry picking situations without having anywhere near the full effect of the gun reform in place is not an indication of how things will be with the full effect in place. Would 1 day in jail for any crime discourage most crimes? No, obviously not. There is a line to cross, and US is far from evenn apprioaching it. Just accidental gun deaths alone caused by lack of gun safety in the US is nearly a 1000 a year. But if hell freezes over, then at least the nation tried.

5. If the laws were to copy Australia's exactly, you can keep a gun into your home for some reasons, such as being a member of a target shooting club, as long as you attend a certain amount per year. I didn't suggest to copy paste Australia's laws exactly though. As you know, in the US you have a right to protect yourself in your own home with a gun. You don't have to take that law away, but you can certainly implement more restrictions and concept of gun safety around it to reduce the high amount of accidental deaths.

6. In the USA of course. "Unlicensed persons may sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer a long gun or long gun ammunition to a person of any age."
Federal law provides no minimum age for the possession of long guns or long gun ammunition.
http://smartgunlaws.org/minimum-age-to-purchase-possess-firearms-policy-summary/

So you can sell a rifle to a 5 year old as long as they have cash. Lovely.

7. Suggesting that rational means that have proven positive effects would have the adverse effect is always a silly notion unless backed by very strong evidence. That's not the genuine argument any more than me suggesting that the argument against banning alcohol is that it would cause even more liver failure. It may cause other problems, but I wouldn't bet on that being one of them.  No, it's because people want to get f**d up. And people just don't want to have their guns taken away.
I don't know the ins and outs of the US's budget and economy, but there are plenty of people who do, who want a much more strict gun reform. If there's anything worth spending money on, it's things like this.

8. Regardless of how you and I may feel about him, many people apparently listen to him.

1.     Isn't the argument that mass shootings in the U.S are increasing over time? I would think a recent sample size that is limited to recent years would make the list even more biased toward that argument. Additionally, Norway wasn't the only European country above the U.S. There were 10 other countries above the U.S. "Because the government has authority over all their states" first; this is a non-sequitur. It is unclear why this means we shouldn't consider different crime-rates in different states in our analysis, especially when many of the gun laws are on the state level. Secondly, the U.S Federal government is co-sovereign with the states, meaning - no it doesn't have authority over the states, but rather shares authority.

So you agree that there is more to it than increasing or decreasing gun laws. Obviously there are extra factors to determine crime. So if it is unfair to compare states, why compare even more distinct entities like countries? I noted a solution to homicide rates that is much better than gun control, which you mostly ignored/side-stepped. I will describe it again.

As for a solution to homicides and crime, the statistics show that a majority of crime is drug related. And if we look closer it is evident that it is mostly the effects of drug prohibition. Why do people join drug cartels and drug selling gangs? They need to make money. Why do they stay involved in these cartels and gangs? It is insanely hard to leave, and even if they do they might have a felony record preventing them from getting jobs. Why do their kids also fall into such activity? Their parents are sent to prison for decades, not being able to contribute to their well-being. Why do these cartels and gangs exist? Drug prohibition makes the market uncompetitive. What should be done? Decriminalize drugs, and treat addiction as a health issue not a crime. Will this solve all homicides? No. But will it end many? Yes, and it will also end a vicious cycle of poverty.

2.        Except this is not how it works. If the supply is still large enough the price is not going to increase. The whole point of making guns illegal is to reduce the supply. How are you going to reduce such a large supply?

3.        This argument is always silly considering the “wild west” had stricter gun laws than the industrialized east in the 1800’s. Why? Because the sheriff had more power over people’s lives, and the rule of law was sparser, hence the name “the wild west.”  Also the second amendment wasn’t just designed for government tyranny, but also any uprisings within the country and foreign attacks. For example, let’s say there was a coup, the citizens would have to be armed so that they could participate in the militias. And then there is the issue of state vs. federal sovereignty. The discussion is much more complex than you are making it. It only happens that people think the intent is obsolete because the country has been mostly at peace for centuries. That will not always be the case.  

4.      I don’t think it is absurd at all. Drug prohibition and alcohol prohibition both increased criminal activity in this country, and lead to more homicides than there were before them. They also led to more brutal police activity. I could only imagine what gun prohibition would do. We have a long precedent of outlawing things biting us in the ass.

5.       Okay, so you recognize that the laws need to be more nuanced and not simply a direct copy of Australia to work. So why then is it not reasonable to think that what we have now (via voting) and the process by which we are doing it represents the ideal balance for Americans?

6.       I watched the video and edited my post. The reason he was able to buy that hunting rifle was because he had adults with him. At that age (13) hunting is a big sport for most people in rural or suburban areas, and I see no reason why the kid couldn’t have used his own money to buy a gun privately under adult supervision. No right-minded private seller would sell to the kid without an adult, and the kid probably wouldn’t have even been allowed into the gun show. And believe it or not, most people at gun shows ask for background checks to protect themselves. They don’t want to go to jail.

7.       It isn’t silly really. These are basic concepts in statistics, data collection, and the scientific method. Different sample groups have different lurking variables which make it hard to apply conclusions found in one group to another.

Your alcohol example is actually a good one for my argument. When the federal government amended the constitution and banned the sale of alcohol organized crime increased, and more deaths by alcohol also occurred because the alcohol wasn’t created safely. That is why alcohol prohibition was lifted.

We have a long history of prohibition backfiring in this country. The wars on alcohol and drugs have made things worse not better. I don’t see how this would be any different for guns. In fact, in the current militarized and tense police-civilian environment, it is quite obvious how such laws would make things worse – leading to more police brutality on minority populations, and more police-on-minority deaths, possibly exceeding any lives saved. 

As for the people who might want strict gun policies as the ones you are proposing, they are certainly in the minority. Otherwise, they would have enough clout to get their stuff done. And if you believe it or not, support for gun control has dwindled with time (on average) spiking only immediately after mass-shootings. 

8.       8. Yes, a small minority of gun rights advocates like him. 

Mr Puggsly said:
Goodnightmoon said:

But our capitalist system shouldn't be as extremelly savage as it is, it has already killed way more people than comunism did, big wars nowadays are just because the money, our system works better than theirs, but is really fucked up and we should be trying to change ourself first, and not only forcing the rest of the world to change, or to basically accept that we have the right to kill them when we want money, because that's hatefull.

Our capitalist system killed more people communism? I don't understand this statement. I mean its estimated communism has killed like 100 million people.

It is estimated that Capitalism is responsible for over 200 million deaths----and that's just looking at American activity alone.
http://www.petersaysstuff.com/2014/05/attempting-the-impossible-calculating-capitalisms-death-toll/

Then there's India, where Capitalism is responsible for even more deaths in about half time.  "Overcoming amnesia, suppose we now apply the methodology of the Black Book and its reviewers to the full story, not just the doctrinally acceptable half. We therefore conclude that in India the democratic capitalist "experiment" since 1947 has caused more deaths than in the entire history of the "colossal, wholly failed...experiment" of Communism everywhere since 1917: over 100 million deaths by 1979, tens of millions more since, in India alone."
http://spectrezine.org/global/chomsky.htm

Villify Communism all you want for that 100 million figure--my sig should make it clear how I feel about any death and 100 million is a Hell of a lot--but try not to let cognitive dissonance excuse the deaths resulting from Capitalism.

Mr Puggsly said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Yeah, and when you combine all the conflicts caused for Capitalism since S.XIX the number is way higher than that, there's even some estimations that go up to 1.5 billions of deaths, and while is hard to get exact information from very old conflicts, we dont need to go so far in time, more accurate estimations says that EEUU has killed around 20m of people since 2nd world War in more than 200 operations, more deaths than the Holocaust, 2m just in relatively recent wars, of course this is that kind of data TV never shows specially in USA so people dont get their american ego hurt and maybe they start to question if there is something wrong with their system.

My extreme left wing propaganda senses is tingling.

Because is more easy than accept the sad reality, I'm not a comunist dude, dont worry, but if we are not able to see the problems of our system we'll never get better and if everytime that someone points at those problems people call them extremist, then we'll never change.