By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Leaked benchmarks for AMD Radeon RX 480 hits minimum VR spec for $199

Take the following with a pinch of salt:

AMD Radeon RX 470 and Radeon RX 460 Official Gaming Performance Revealed – Polaris 11 To Achieve 1080p / 60 FPS in eSports and MOBA Titles

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-470-460-official-performance/#ixzz4EaEaFWnc

The first official performance numbers of the Radeon RX 470 and Radeon RX 460 have been revealed by AMD themselves during a launch presentation of Polaris in Asia.

AMD Radeon RX 470 – The Fastest and Cheapest Full HD Card

The AMD Radeon RX 470 graphics card features 2048 stream processors with a clock speed of 1206 MHz. It has 4 GB of GDDR5 memory clocked at 7 GHz for 224 GB/s bandwidth and the reason why it won’t be available in 8 GB variant is because of its price and market segment. At $149 US, AMD wants the RX 470 to be the best 1080p card and that can be seen in the performance slide posted below which shows that the card will offer a smooth 60 FPS+ gaming experience in many AAA titles on 1080p with High Settings.

AMD Radeon RX 460 – The Ultimate Low Power eSports Card

The Radeon RX 460 replaces the Radeon R7 260 and Radeon R7 360 series cards. This card features 896 stream processors which deliver around 2 TFLOPs of compute performance. The card comes with 2 GB of GDDR5 VRAM which is due to its low-cost and eSports focused nature. The card has been designed to deliver best experience in MOBA and eSports titles. In comparisons made by AMD, they test the Radeon RX 460 against an R7 260X at same settings on 1080p resolution.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

I fully expect the Radeon 470 to hit those performance claims in eSports titles.
eSports titles are pretty light... This could be a massively big seller over in Asian countries if AMD prices it right.

Crysis 3 though? It can be demanding with everything dialed up to 11... Bold claim AMD. Considering the Radeon 480 struggles to hit 60fps with everything maxed out+FXAA.

The Radeon 460 though looks like a Bonaire XT/XTX, I would be super keen to see how those cards stack up, considering Bonaire is now 3 years old... Give it to me in a low-profile form factor and make it passively cooled and I will bite and upgrade a few rigs around the place.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
I fully expect the Radeon 470 to hit those performance claims in eSports titles.
eSports titles are pretty light... This could be a massively big seller over in Asian countries if AMD prices it right.

Crysis 3 though? It can be demanding with everything dialed up to 11... Bold claim AMD. Considering the Radeon 480 struggles to hit 60fps with everything maxed out+FXAA.

The Radeon 460 though looks like a Bonaire XT/XTX, I would be super keen to see how those cards stack up, considering Bonaire is now 3 years old... Give it to me in a low-profile form factor and make it passively cooled and I will bite and upgrade a few rigs around the place.

The 470 is nice mid level full HD gaming GPU and 460 a nice entry level one... AMD can get the masses market with those and the Rx480.

DoYou Want DOZENS OF NO GAEMZ?! then... Visit the Official PlayStation Vita Tread

DemoniOtaku said:
Pemalite said:

The 470 is nice mid level full HD gaming GPU and 460 a nice entry level one... AMD can get the masses market with those and the Rx480.

AMD's problem is that the 470 may put the 480 in a bad position. The 480 can't play games at 1440 at max settings... heck, as Pemalite said, it can't even play some games at 1080p at max. Why should anyone buy the 480 when the 470 isn't that far behind at 1080p but costs $50/100 less?

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

The 480 can't play games at 1440 at max settings... heck, as Pemalite said, it can't even play some games at 1080p at max.

What games are those? Even my 960 can play most games at max but 480 is 60% more powerful than 960, it will be my next card.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
m0ney said:

What games are those? Even my 960 can play most games at max but 480 is 60% more powerful than 960, it will be my next card.

As far as I know 480 can play every released game at max settings, 1080p, 30 fps. It does struggle hitting 60 fps in certain games though, namely Ashes of Singularity, The Division, Crysis 3, and Quantum Break. 

Doesn't everything struggle with Quantum Break at 60fps? xD

shikamaru317 said:
JEMC said:

AMD's problem is that the 470 may put the 480 in a bad position. The 480 can't play games at 1440 at max settings... heck, as Pemalite said, it can't even play some games at 1080p at max. Why should anyone buy the 480 when the 470 isn't that far behind at 1080p but costs $50/100 less?

I suspect we'll see a price cut on 480 before long. Between 470 and Nvidia's 1060, 480 isn't a very good deal at the current price. Knock $20-30 off the price though, and it becomes a much better deal.

If AMD does that, they'll have a PR nightmare on their hands. And that won't solve the problem, it will only make the 470 irrelevant.

Another option could be discontinuing the 4GB variant of the 480. They could use the extra performance and extra (and faster) memory, to justify the extra cost...and bundle a game or two would help too. Do a "Never Settle" promotion again.

shikamaru317 said:
m0ney said:

As far as I know 480 can play every released game at max settings, 1080p, 30 fps. It does struggle hitting 60 fps in certain games though, namely Ashes of Singularity, The Division, Crysis 3, and Quantum Break. 

That's what I meant, thanks. The 480 can play most if not all games at max and mantain 30fps, but there are games where it can't hit an average of 60fps like those you mentioned plus The Witcher 3 or Crysis 3.

shikamaru317 said:
JEMC said:

If AMD does that, they'll have a PR nightmare on their hands. And that won't solve the problem, it will only make the 470 irrelevant.

Another option could be discontinuing the 4GB variant of the 480. They could use the extra performance and extra (and faster) memory, to justify the extra cost...and bundle a game or two would help too. Do a "Never Settle" promotion again.

That's what I meant, thanks. The 480 can play most if not all games at max and mantain 30fps, but there are games where it can't hit an average of 60fps like those you mentioned plus The Witcher 3 or Crysis 3.

A new Never Settle promotion this Holiday would indeed be nice. I know they partnered with Square Enix on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, so that makes it a logical candidate for a free game. I think they also had partnerships for Hitman, Total War: Warhammer, Ashes of Singularity, Doom, and Star Wars Battlefront during the last year or so, so they could do a choose 2 games deal for 480 and choose 1 game for 470. 

RX 480 is actually pretty close to 60 fps average on Witcher 3 (not including the Nvidia Gameworks features of course). Digital Foundry has it at 61 fps average on Witcher 3, while Tom's Hardware got 65 fps average. With some overlcoking you might even be able to get minimum drops over 60 fps for a smooth v-sync experience. 

The Witcher 3 is one of those games where results vary depending on several things (like the use of AF or the kind of AA, for example). Guru3D has it at 53fps, while at TechPowerUp it gets 50.3fps.

AMD has a very good relationship with DICE, maybe they could do a Battlefiled 1 bundle this holiday.

Quantum Break was a silly ported game anyway. You could get more performance by upgrading your monitor to one with a higher refresh rate.

Also another +1 for never settle. Or AMD could partner up with the likes of Humble Bundle and give away a special bundle or two...
I don't think they can really afford to price cut Polaris all that much, it's still a fairly large chip all things considered, certainly larger than the Geforce 1060... So they need to throw games at the problem.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

shikamaru317 said:
JEMC said:

I suspect we'll see a price cut on 480 before long. Between 470 and Nvidia's 1060, 480 isn't a very good deal at the current price. Knock $20-30 off the price though, and it becomes a much better deal.

It will depends on if Nivida's 1060 delivers a performance worth the extra price...

DoYou Want DOZENS OF NO GAEMZ?! then... Visit the Official PlayStation Vita Tread