By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Leaked benchmarks for AMD Radeon RX 480 hits minimum VR spec for $199

shikamaru317 said:
Norris2k said:
Is 199$ the real price first day ? I was thinking about spending 300$, but when they announced the geforce 1070 at 379$, I was like crazy, it's a little bit expensive for me, but it's kind of cheap for such performances... then in fact in happened there are only found editions... 450$... then I watch on my local (Japan or France) amazon... 550$ !

Yes, unlike the Nvidia cards this gen, so far the RX 480 has been selling for MSRP from reputable retailers (not 3rd party resellers). $199 for the 4GB model, $239 for the 8GB model. It is sold out right now though, so you have to get on a notify list so you know when they come back in stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150771&cm_re=rx_480-_-14-150-771-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202221&cm_re=rx_480-_-14-202-221-_-Product

Thanks a lot ! I will wait a little bit to see if the geforce get to the announced price, if not, I think I'm going for a RX480 8GB.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
DemoniOtaku said:

The performance on the 480 on SLI as arround a 1080 on Synthetic tests. Close to that, and with the improvement on multi GPU options with DX12 and Vulkan, a couple of Rx480 could become the more bang for money option outhere. Specially when AMDs card gain a lot on those APIs.

BTW, this is the monitor I have on my sights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV1XBEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Crossfire isn't very good, and sometimes takes months before AMD launches a game profile supporting it. And when GameWorks is involved, those months may turn into never. Sadly.

I've only found two RX 480 Xfire reviews, at GamersNexus and TechPowerUp, and the picture isn't very bright. That's why many recommend purchasing a single and more powerfuI card (and also more expensive), than two less powerful ones.

Oh, and funnily enough, the GTX 1060 could be used in "SLI" if the game supports explicit multi-GPU.

About the monitor, it looks good, but I'd look for info regarding which frequencies it can actually achieve. Some Freesync monitors can't go much lower than the regular 60Hz, which kind of neglects the point of the whole thing.

I prefer IPS or VA monitors, but those are usually capped at 60Hz.

*Edit* I've looked a little bit and that monitor actually supports quite a wide range of frequencies, it goes from 30 to 160Hz!

My resoning behind wanting a Crossfire is actually because the DX12 and Vulkan will become standarts sooner than most people think. Lots of devs are pushing it, and a single 480 can do just fine for most standart games (indies, japanese ports, console ports, etc) and two cards can work fine on games with mainstream games supporting it via drivers, or via DX12/Vulkan... I'm thinking about one year or two from now. But I don't think will buy a couple of cards this year, only one and the monitor. Next year will update CPU, mobo and memories (have a fx8320e with 8gb ddr3 1600mhz RAM).. and then could get a second 480 or just go for a Navi?

Yeah, I looked into the monitor too, the only worry was about the outputs on the GPU supporting 120hz or more.. because I saw that most GTX 1060, founders editions and custom, models only support resolutions at 60hz max. So looked into the Rx480, and it can support 144hz using DualLink DVI to HDMI/display port adapter with Refference model, and the customs will have the dual link DVI port that support the high frequencies :D

BTW the 480 crossfire works great, almost doube on most of the games even at 2k and 4k!!, save for Anno 2205 and some others, probably this doesn't have Crossfire support even run worst at crossfire. And Batman Arkham Knight, but we all know how good this game was optimized. Fallout have some weird mixed results.. The higher the resolution the better it perform, at 1080p is worst than a single 480, but at 2k and 4k is +50% extra performance. Weird, right?

I think is worth the money, and it could improve at future, with newer drivers, or with more standarization of DX12/vulkan multigpu functions. Now, a single GPU could be worth if Navi comes arround the end of this year and fill the gap on Arround 300$ to 400$ with a GPU performing arround a GTX 1070.

DoYou Want DOZENS OF NO GAEMZ?! then... Visit the Official PlayStation Vita Tread

DemoniOtaku said:
JEMC said:

Crossfire isn't very good, and sometimes takes months before AMD launches a game profile supporting it. And when GameWorks is involved, those months may turn into never. Sadly.

I've only found two RX 480 Xfire reviews, at GamersNexus and TechPowerUp, and the picture isn't very bright. That's why many recommend purchasing a single and more powerfuI card (and also more expensive), than two less powerful ones.

Oh, and funnily enough, the GTX 1060 could be used in "SLI" if the game supports explicit multi-GPU.

About the monitor, it looks good, but I'd look for info regarding which frequencies it can actually achieve. Some Freesync monitors can't go much lower than the regular 60Hz, which kind of neglects the point of the whole thing.

I prefer IPS or VA monitors, but those are usually capped at 60Hz.

*Edit* I've looked a little bit and that monitor actually supports quite a wide range of frequencies, it goes from 30 to 160Hz!

My resoning behind wanting a Crossfire is actually because the DX12 and Vulkan will become standarts sooner than most people think. Lots of devs are pushing it, and a single 480 can do just fine for most standart games (indies, japanese ports, console ports, etc) and two cards can work fine on games with mainstream games supporting it via drivers, or via DX12/Vulkan... I'm thinking about one year or two from now. But I don't think will buy a couple of cards this year, only one and the monitor. Next year will update CPU, mobo and memories (have a fx8320e with 8gb ddr3 1600mhz RAM).. and then could get a second 480 or just go for a Navi?

Yeah, I looked into the monitor too, the only worry was about the outputs on the GPU supporting 120hz or more.. because I saw that most GTX 1060, founders editions and custom, models only support resolutions at 60hz max. So looked into the Rx480, and it can support 144hz using DualLink DVI to HDMI/display port adapter with Refference model, and the customs will have the dual link DVI port that support the high frequencies :D

BTW the 480 crossfire works great, almost doube on most of the games even at 2k and 4k!!, save for Anno 2205 and some others, probably this doesn't have Crossfire support even run worst at crossfire. And Batman Arkham Knight, but we all know how good this game was optimized. Fallout have some weird mixed results.. The higher the resolution the better it perform, at 1080p is worst than a single 480, but at 2k and 4k is +50% extra performance. Weird, right?

*charts*

I think is worth the money, and it could improve at future, with newer drivers, or with more standarization of DX12/vulkan multigpu functions. Now, a single GPU could be worth if Navi comes arround the end of this year and fill the gap on Arround 300$ to 400$ with a GPU performing arround a GTX 1070.

Forget about Navi, it won't come until 2018 according to AMD's roadmap. You're looking at Vega or two Polaris with 480 in X-fire.

Also, and I admit that I'm part of those that believe DX12/Vulkan won't become the standart APIs anytime soon, I'm worried about the multi GPU side of those tools, at least DX12. Up until now, it was the job of the devs to code multi-GPU support in their games, but AMD and Nvidia then developed their profiles to make it actually work. With DX12 neither AMD nor Nvidia can do anything and it becomes all about the developer... and we've had plenty of examples of how lazy/lame are some studios.

Lastly, what do you mean with the 1060 only supporting 60Hz? As far as I know, resolution and frequency are usually tied to the kind of connector you're using. The GTX 1060 shares the same outputs as the RX 480 with 3xDisplayPort 1.3/1.4 (that support up to 240Hz at 1080p and up to 165Hz at 1440p, source: wikipedia) and 1xHDMI 2.0b (with similar characteristics), plus DVI-D. Also Freesync only works through DisplayPort (well, now also HDMI), so that DVI adapter you talk about isn't necessary.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Aftermarket RX 480 cards may finally ship soon!

From OverclockersUK, the first store to list the Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro, we now know that the first cards will ship this same weekend, but in extremely low quantities. By next week, tho, supply will increase dramatically.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29804680&postcount=704

Posted by Gibbo:

Hi there

Right Sapphire have given me some great news this morning, their initial batches that they tested they have agreed to ship exclusively to OcUK in the world. The first batch is a real small number as of course they are not from a full scale production run but a small production batch test run.

So OcUK customers will be the first in the world to receive a Nitro+ OC card, the first batch is likely to be around only 30 units and could be with ourselves as early as next Monday!!!

Then they shall hopefully ship 1000-2000 units next weekend to ourselves to clear the remaining backorders, 4GB cards should also be in that batch too.

Hopefully the same will be true for the rest of AIB partners.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

shikamaru317 said:
^The article I posted above says that PowerColor's aftermarket card releases on July 29th. Seems they are finally releasing. This will be where things get interesting to me, comparing overclocked aftermarket 480's to overclocked aftermarket 1060's.

Most overclocked 480s bring an overclock of less than 100MHz, while many 1060s have a 150+MHz one. The 1060 will only look better.

That said, it will be interesting to see how far can those cards be manually overclocked, how much power do they use and their temps and noise.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
JEMC said:

Most overclocked 480s bring an overclock of less than 100MHz, while many 1060s have a 150+MHz one. The 1060 will only look better.

That said, it will be interesting to see how far can those cards be manually overclocked, how much power do they use and their temps and noise.

Yeah, I was referring to manual overclocking. Some of the review sites do manual overlock reviews for aftermarket cards. It'll be interesting to see if 480 or 1060 comes out on top when overclocked to the highest possible stable level on air cooling. 

The 1060 already comes on top while running at stock speeds, overclocked 1060 cards sport a higher overclock than its 480 siblings, and some have already been able to push the 1060 to 2.0GHz, while few have managed to get the 480 to 1.4GHz.

Do you really doubt which one will benefit the most from overclocking?

shikamaru317 said:
JEMC said:

The 1060 already comes on top while running at stock speeds, overclocked 1060 cards sport a higher overclock than its 480 siblings, and some have already been able to push the 1060 to 2.0GHz, while few have managed to get the 480 to 1.4GHz.

Do you really doubt which one will benefit the most from overclocking?

Yes, 1060 can be clocked much higher, but it also has 1,024 fewer cores. Also, I've heard rumors that aftermarket 480's can hit 1.5ghz, maybe even higher. Don't forget that reference 480's have an overlocking handicap due to the fact that they have a TDP that matches the combined power they can pull from the single 6 pin connector and PCI-e slot, that leaves very little overclocking headroom. Aftermarket models have one 8 pin or two 6 pin connectors (two 8 pins for ASUS), giving overclockers more power to work with, not to mention better cooling solutions than the reference model.

There's a couple to keep in mind.

• Nvidia's Pascal (like Maxwell) architecture focuses on speed over "cores". Overclocking those chips only strengthens their advantage. That's why the 970 with only 1664 cores can compete (and beat when overclocked) the 390 with its 2560 cores. Also, the 1070 with 1920 cores destroys the 2304 cores of the 480. It's no longer as easy as "more cores = more performance".
  • The rumors about Polaris achieving 1.5GHz appeared weeks before the card actually launched and came from wccftech, which is a good source of rumors, but you can't trust everything they post. Remember that those same rumors mentioned that achieving 1.4GHz was "easy", and that has already been proved wrong.
  • Some AIB partners have already said that they have modified the power system of their cards. For example, Asus has stated that their Strix card with 1x8-pin power connector gets all its power from that connection and draws 0 from the PCIe slot (article here, read the "Power to the People part"). The 8-pin powerr connector can deliver 150W, and the reference 480 also uses 150W (75WxPCIe + 75Wx6-pin), therefore it has no extra power really push the card. Sure, not all the other partners will go as far as Asus, but they could have gone for a more cautious approach given what has happened with the reference card.

JEMC said:

Forget about Navi, it won't come until 2018 according to AMD's roadmap. You're looking at Vega or two Polaris with 480 in X-fire.

Also, and I admit that I'm part of those that believe DX12/Vulkan won't become the standart APIs anytime soon, I'm worried about the multi GPU side of those tools, at least DX12. Up until now, it was the job of the devs to code multi-GPU support in their games, but AMD and Nvidia then developed their profiles to make it actually work. With DX12 neither AMD nor Nvidia can do anything and it becomes all about the developer... and we've had plenty of examples of how lazy/lame are some studios.

Lastly, what do you mean with the 1060 only supporting 60Hz? As far as I know, resolution and frequency are usually tied to the kind of connector you're using. The GTX 1060 shares the same outputs as the RX 480 with 3xDisplayPort 1.3/1.4 (that support up to 240Hz at 1080p and up to 165Hz at 1440p, source: wikipedia) and 1xHDMI 2.0b (with similar characteristics), plus DVI-D. Also Freesync only works through DisplayPort (well, now also HDMI), so that DVI adapter you talk about isn't necessary.

Yeah... mixed the names here... XD

About the 1060 not supporting more than 60hz.. Saw on the technical info about the MSI and others that suport up to 60hz, BUT on 4k resolution.. Sorry, was my mess up here. Probably at lower resolutions have faster speeds... 4k@120hz or more isn't common yet.

Thanks for that bit of info... ;D

DoYou Want DOZENS OF NO GAEMZ?! then... Visit the Official PlayStation Vita Tread

Pemalite said:

The entire 300 series was rebadges though with Fury added on top as a "Halo" product and a test vehicle for mass produced HBM and Nano reserved for a more Niche' market.

The 390 and 390X were just re-badged Radeon R9 290 and 290X parts with the bulk of the 200 series being rebadged 7000 parts.

AMD has just stagnated, not just in terms of rebadged hardware, but also prices and that reflected in their marketshare, they are turning that around... But it will sadly take another couple of years to see the fruits of AMD's new strategy.
Even the 400 series will likely be derived by a substantual amount of rebadged hardware, especially in the low-end.

If Vega doesn't launch untill next year, it might not launch under the 400 series lineup, but rather the 500 series instead, with Polaris and general GCN 1.0/1.1/1.2 rebadges.

[...]

Well, it goes without saying that there will be some refinement in production as time goes on that should result in some reduction in power consumption after a few revisions.
But it's not going to be anything significant...

For something more significant AMD will likely need to do another respin and that won't happen for a long time yet, if ever.
Basically the best refinement we can except is from custom cards.

Alby_da_Wolf said:

About APUs, I wasn't precise, I should have written the use of the latest AMD GPU cores in them, and not literally putting a 460 in a Zen APU, but simply putting the GPU power of a 460, obtained with the latest cores available, in it. Yes, a sideport for GDDR could be a nice idea to avoid wasting the GPU power of the  higher-end APUs, although faster DDR4, and organised in quad- or even better eight-channel architecture, could at least mitigate the problem.

Quad-Channel and Octo-Channel carry with it increased costs due to a substantual jump in PCB traces required, which means more PCB layers and thus more engineering to route everything properly.
It's not gonna' happen. :P Not in a consumer-grade APU anyway.

DDR4 and the bandwidth saving technology AMD has implemented in GCN 1.3/4.0 will help, but it's not going to allow you to have high-end GPU performance, mid-range maybe. Low-end certainly.

Alby_da_Wolf said:

About drivers and games, thanks for all the explanations, my doubts come from the existence of games that cannot use more than one GPU, or cannot without giving more problems than benefits, maybe it could be possible to transparently offer them at least part of all the benefits offered by multiple GPU with APIs that keep where it should be stuff that is at a level low enough to be better managed by those that designed the HW than by game devs.

That is where Microsoft is taking Direct X 12. Game developers can build their games to support their own multi-GPU implementation, this is what nVidia has backed when it comes to SLI support for more than 2 cards in games.

But... Leaving it in the hands of developers means it's never going to catch on considering that the vast majority of PC's use a single GPU and consoles all use a Single GPU, it's a waste of resources.

At the moment though if you want more than 2 GPU's for gaming, AMD is where it is at.

First of all, about all the rest, and other, thanks a lot to you two, Pemalite and JEMC, you always give a lot of useful news, infos and tech details.

About quad- and octo-channel DDR4, quad should become mid-upper mainstream quite soon, while octo will be high-end PC, server and workstation tech for a while, but I would still consider it, AMD is planning also new high-end APUs, that it will sell both as plain PC APUs and as Opteron ones, quite likely ASUS and many others will make not only expensive high-end and high overclock-ready mobos, but also well equipped mid/high-end ones at a reasonable overprice compared to average ones, in 2000 and 2004 for example ASUS was still a lot more expensive than average competitors, too much for cheap PCs, but already in 2009 I was able to choose it for very few tens euros overprice compared to others.

About drivers, I hope the resistance of half a billion users to Win 10, plus the growth of a huge Windows-free market outside of PCs wil push game devs to support again more OpenGL, and obviously Vulkan is welcome too.

JEMC said:

Take the following with a pinch of salt:

[...]

AMD Radeon RX 460 – The Ultimate Low Power eSports Card

The Radeon RX 460 replaces the Radeon R7 260 and Radeon R7 360 series cards. This card features 896 stream processors which deliver around 2 TFLOPs of compute performance. The card comes with 2 GB of GDDR5 VRAM which is due to its low-cost and eSports focused nature. The card has been designed to deliver best experience in MOBA and eSports titles. In comparisons made by AMD, they test the Radeon RX 460 against an R7 260X at same settings on 1080p resolution.

[...]

Maybe AMD still has some things to fix not only in its high-end, but also in mid/high-end strategy, but surely it's gonna give the mid and mid/low-range very interesting value for money.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

About quad- and octo-channel DDR4, quad should become mid-upper mainstream quite soon, while octo will be high-end PC, server and workstation tech for a while, but I would still consider it, AMD is planning also new high-end APUs, that it will sell both as plain PC APUs and as Opteron ones, quite likely ASUS and many others will make not only expensive high-end and high overclock-ready mobos, but also well equipped mid/high-end ones at a reasonable overprice compared to average ones, in 2000 and 2004 for example ASUS was still a lot more expensive than average competitors, too much for cheap PCs, but already in 2009 I was able to choose it for very few tens euros overprice compared to others.

We will still sit with Dual-Channel for the immediate future.

The bulk of Motherboards need to hit various price-points, which is a couple hundred brucks and under...
Tri/Quad Channel memory configurations are usually reserved for high-end motherboards in the Socket 2011 form factor on the Intel Side, which means you need to pair it up with an expensive CPU.

For cheaper boards, every dollar counts, you need to minimize PCB traces and thus layers to hit those points... And AMD usually likes to be very price competitive, having less memory channels is one way to do that.

Zen is also not going to be an ultra high-end processor competing with Socket 2011 chips.
It will be price/performance competitive with Intel's mainstream lineup though and likely selling us more CPU cores while they are at it, so it goes without saying that Dual-Channel is what will happen in AMD's lineup, even for APU's. Possibly augmented with a Side-Port like tech with HBM or GDDR5/GDDR5X.

Alby_da_Wolf said:

About drivers, I hope the resistance of half a billion users to Win 10, plus the growth of a huge Windows-free market outside of PCs wil push game devs to support again more OpenGL, and obviously Vulkan is welcome too.

Agreed.

With that said... Vulkan is OpenGL's successor... Vulkan is what Direct X 12 is to Direct X 11.

Vulkan is also built on AMD's Mantle technology... AMD realised fairly quickly that it's a long and expensive process building an API that has a wide Software and Hardware ecosystem... So they donated Mantle to the Khronos group where it became Vulkan... Now nVidia and Intel have no choice but to support it. :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--