By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Leaked benchmarks for AMD Radeon RX 480 hits minimum VR spec for $199

DemoniOtaku said:
shikamaru317 said:

I suspect we'll see a price cut on 480 before long. Between 470 and Nvidia's 1060, 480 isn't a very good deal at the current price. Knock $20-30 off the price though, and it becomes a much better deal.

It will depends on if Nivida's 1060 delivers a performance worth the extra price...

Checking out the reviews, it turns out that it does.

TechPowerUp has a section in its review for Performance per dollar (note that they also have a 1060 with a third party cooler and overclocked)

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1060_Gaming_X/26.html

The MSI GTX 1060 is $289, and the Founders Edition is $299, so yes, the 480 still gives better performance x dollarthan those two cards. But if you can find a 1060 at $249, that will be the card to get.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
DemoniOtaku said:

It will depends on if Nivida's 1060 delivers a performance worth the extra price...

TechPowerUp has a section in its review for Performance per dollar (note that they also have a 1060 with a third party cooler and overclocked)

The MSI GTX 1060 is $289, and the Founders Edition is $299, so yes, the 480 still gives better performance x dollarthan those two cards. But if you can find a 1060 at $249, that will be the card to get.

Nah only the Mini 1060 are at that price, not that I overclock that much, but I like to have the option...  compared to the reference Rx480 even the personalized models lose... and I just found a 24" monitor at 144hz with FreeSync that i want... So, as FreeSync only works with AMD cards.. when I change monitor (Monitor with Nvidia G-sync are about 100$ expensiver) I will change to a AMD GPU arround the end of the year... the prices should be stable and cheaper.

DoYou Want DOZENS OF NO GAEMZ?! then... Visit the Official PlayStation Vita Tread

Well. The Geforce 1060 beats the Radeon 480 in most benchmarks.
But it is also slightly more expensive at $399 AUD for the Geforce vs $379 AUD for the Radeon 480 8Gb.

Probably need the pricing to settle as the 1060 just launched...
AMD will need to drop the price on it's Polaris GPU's though in order to try and stay competitive... It's sad, because if these cards were launching in a year or two... No one would be recommending the Geforce due to the plethora of Direct X 12 titles being available and how well AMD does in them.

Pretty much can be summed up as this; Direct X 12 benchmarks/games+Hitman the Radeon 480 should always win.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

For next year the difference in performance on DX12 and Vulkan will be more notable, because more and more games will use, this same year, a big mainstream game like Deus Ex will use DX12 a LOT.

And the 1060 doesn't support SLI, but 480 does support Crossfire.. some mid level snthusiast would like that.

DoYou Want DOZENS OF NO GAEMZ?! then... Visit the Official PlayStation Vita Tread

shikamaru317 said:

^It's funny, LinusTechTips on Youtube has the RX 480 beating the 1060 in price/performance in every game they tested, which is contrary to TechPowerUp's price/performance chart that JEMC posted above:

3:56 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF4S5ZaXdgE

Not sure what is causing the discrepancy. Could be Linus used the cheaper 4GB 480 for their tests, could be down to the silicon lottery, could be the games that Linus tested (though they were all DX11 games so I don't think that's it). 

Because of which games they pick.

Techpowerup picked alot of games that favor nvidia, or older DX11 games.

LinusTechTips probably used newer games, or more DX12 ones.

Around the Network

Is 199$ the real price first day ? I was thinking about spending 300$, but when they announced the geforce 1070 at 379$, I was like crazy, it's a little bit expensive for me, but it's kind of cheap for such performances... then in fact in happened there are only found editions... 450$... then I watch on my local (Japan or France) amazon... 550$ !

DemoniOtaku said:
JEMC said:

Nah only the Mini 1060 are at that price, not that I overclock that much, but I like to have the option...  compared to the reference Rx480 even the personalized models lose... and I just found a 24" monitor at 144hz with FreeSync that i want... So, as FreeSync only works with AMD cards.. when I change monitor (Monitor with Nvidia G-sync are about 100$ expensiver) I will change to a AMD GPU arround the end of the year... the prices should be stable and cheaper.

Only the mini? The GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE is $249.99 at Newegg (obviously, it's out of stock now).

But I agree with you about FreeSync and G-Sync.  Freesync monitors may have a lower range of frequencies, but every month there are more and more of them and offer better value than G-Sync ones.

shikamaru317 said:

^It's funny, LinusTechTips on Youtube has the RX 480 beating the 1060 in price/performance in every game they tested, which is contrary to TechPowerUp's price/performance chart that JEMC posted above:

3:56 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF4S5ZaXdgE

Not sure what is causing the discrepancy. Could be Linus used the cheaper 4GB 480 for their tests, could be down to the silicon lottery, could be the games that Linus tested (though they were all DX11 games so I don't think that's it). 

In that video, Linus is only using 4 games while TechPowerUp used 16. And then there's other things that have an impact in performance like the CPU used, for example.

Still, I used that TPU chart to show that the 1060 offers good/great value for its money (unlike the other Pascal cards). And again, this just reinforces my opinion that it's worth checking more than one review to see the whole picture.

DemoniOtaku said:

For next year the difference in performance on DX12 and Vulkan will be more notable, because more and more games will use, this same year, a big mainstream game like Deus Ex will use DX12 a LOT.

And the 1060 doesn't support SLI, but 480 does support Crossfire.. some mid level snthusiast would like that.

That's something that we'll have to pay attention, because the lack of SLI could have a real effect. There are many mid-level gamers that are used to get two x60 cards and SLI them to get close to x80 performance, but for less. Will they get a 1070? Will they go AMD? Will they shop for a used 980/980Ti card?

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
DemoniOtaku said:

Only the mini? The GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE is $249.99 at Newegg (obviously, it's out of stock now).

But I agree with you about FreeSync and G-Sync.  Freesync monitors may have a lower range of frequencies, but every month there are more and more of them and offer better value than G-Sync ones.

DemoniOtaku said:

That's something that we'll have to pay attention, because the lack of SLI could have a real effect. There are many mid-level gamers that are used to get two x60 cards and SLI them to get close to x80 performance, but for less. Will they get a 1070? Will they go AMD? Will they shop for a used 980/980Ti card?

The performance on the 480 on SLI as arround a 1080 on Synthetic tests. Close to that, and with the improvement on multi GPU options with DX12 and Vulkan, a couple of Rx480 could become the more bang for money option outhere. Specially when AMDs card gain a lot on those APIs.

BTW, this is the monitor I have on my sights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV1XBEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

DemoniOtaku said:
JEMC said:

The performance on the 480 on SLI as arround a 1080 on Synthetic tests. Close to that, and with the improvement on multi GPU options with DX12 and Vulkan, a couple of Rx480 could become the more bang for money option outhere. Specially when AMDs card gain a lot on those APIs.

BTW, this is the monitor I have on my sights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV1XBEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Crossfire isn't very good, and sometimes takes months before AMD launches a game profile supporting it. And when GameWorks is involved, those months may turn into never. Sadly.

I've only found two RX 480 Xfire reviews, at GamersNexus and TechPowerUp, and the picture isn't very bright. That's why many recommend purchasing a single and more powerfuI card (and also more expensive), than two less powerful ones.

Oh, and funnily enough, the GTX 1060 could be used in "SLI" if the game supports explicit multi-GPU.

About the monitor, it looks good, but I'd look for info regarding which frequencies it can actually achieve. Some Freesync monitors can't go much lower than the regular 60Hz, which kind of neglects the point of the whole thing.

I prefer IPS or VA monitors, but those are usually capped at 60Hz.

*Edit* I've looked a little bit and that monitor actually supports quite a wide range of frequencies, it goes from 30 to 160Hz!

When is the 470 coming out?