By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It it me? Or did Uncharted 4 get steamrolled by Doom and Overwatch?

Did Uncharted 4 Get Steamrolled By Doom and Overwatch?

Yes 60 16.76%

Somewhat 44 12.29%

No 254 70.95%

Total:358

There was almost an air of arrogance in the "Making of Uncharted 4" videos.

It was like: "We are Naughty Dog, we are enthusiastic about our game, and you know it’s gonna be good. Even the delays seemed arrogant. There was no urgency to get the game out. I'm not saying that they needed to rush, but the multiple delays leading up to release (especially the last one) killed a lot of the momentum the title had following the release of the February trailer.

It was like: "Our game is guaranteed to succeed, we could delay it as much as we like...especially to print more copies of our game for the gullible audience"

The game was well received by critics but it wasn’t “The Last Of Us” level of acclaim. This coupled with a week long wait between the reviews and release killed a lot of the hype. Early release by some retailers during this period did nothing to help.

Eventually the game was released and gamers finally had a chance to play the game. Digital Foundry praised Naughty dog for their technical achievements and everything seemed to be going as planned except...

Doom arrived on the scene.

Not only did doom arrive, but the game was just as spectacular graphically as Uncharted 4... with one major surprise: It achieved all this at 1080p (on PS4) while still keeping the frame rate at 60 fps. And we all know that the main campaign of Uncharted 4 operates at 1080p 30.

While Naughty Dog gloated about their graphical expertise, Doom actually surpassed them in this very department.

But the reall killer blow was Overwatch. Long thought to be a PC exclusive, it flew under the console radar until it was surprisingly announced as cross platform.

Their Pixar quality animated shorts really blasted Overwatche’s hype through the roof.

When Overwatch was released a few weeks after Uncharted 4, widespread critical acclaim literally flooded the gaming scene from console to PC. Battleborn was drowned in the flood and Uncharted 4 multiplayer was rendered obsolete after less than a month on the market.

Glance at Twitch and you will not see Uncharted 4 in the top 20 videos being watched. The game is relegated to (my opinion) the third tier, "below average" streams, while Overwatch competes with the Top tier titles like Counter Strike and Dota 2.

How ironic it is…less than a month after release, Uncharted 4 is a distant memory. And though technically accomplished, it was not the best showcase of console quality graphics.

Doom and Overwatch combined to humble the increasingly arrogant Naughty Dog who are probably regretting delaying Uncharted 4 from its original March release to the month of May where all the alpha males were turning up, willing and ready to stake their claim for the top spot.

Around the Network

This happened with every game. The game releases. A new game releases and the older game gets less attention.

No, but non-ps4 owned can get excited for doom as well so there's a bigger potential fan base.

I'd say it got a ton of attention and was very well received critically, but the hype surrounding Doom and unexpected huge success of Overwatch might have cut into its moment in the spotlight a tad.

Still, 2.7 million sales in the first work is nothing to scoff at. Much like the Rockstars and Blizzards of the world, Naughty Dog can strut their stuff a little as they've earned that right via consistently great releases. I didn't get any real "arrogance" vibe from them, though.

Focus shifted to new titles, yes, but Uncharted 4 was certainly a success.

Wait, a dedicated multi-player game is getting more views on Twitch than a game where single-player is the primary focus?

That's madness.

Around the Network

There's no hype for U4 anymore. Game launched with pretty big sales and great reviews, but then... died off quickly (big drop in charts etc). Also... doubt it will be a serious goty contender.

Surprised to see it struggling so much on Twitch. I was wondering how well the MP was received.

Uncharted doesn't seem like a game that would be popular on twitch, even more unlikely being exclusive to ps4. So comparing it to Overwatch makes no sense since that game was expected to be huge, even if it's on console most people will play it on pc

Meret said:

There's no hype for U4 anymore. Game launched with pretty big sales and great reviews, but then... died off quickly (big drop in charts etc). Also... doubt it will be a serious goty contender.

Where are the charts? Also based on what, did you play the game?

I mean... Overwatch has memes so....

http://kotaku.com/the-internet-has-turned-overwatchs-play-of-the-game-int-1780136388

As well as waifus!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850