By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will the Windows 10 push nightmare actually end in July, or...?

What happens after July 29?

No more sneaky forced upgrades. 25 27.17%

Deal is extended for another year. 38 41.30%

Upgrades are forced, and ... 29 31.52%

Total:92
pokoko said:
Azzanation said:

Are you new to updating? Do you have a choice when Sony, Nintendo, and XBox ask for a firmware update? Remember what happened to the PS3 with one of their firmware updates bricking gamer’s consoles? All updates on all devices are being pushed on everyone. Windows 10 is still Windows 7 just upgraded just like when you update your console. If you’re happy to accept it on other devices but not on others says something about the individual.

Don’t tell me it’s different. It’s the same. I think a lot of people on here are complaining due to a company then the actual update itself.

Nike’s modo “JUST DO IT”

Horrible analogy that's blind to the fact as to why so many people are having trouble with Windows 10.  Microsoft had zero part in building any of my PCs and they very obviously fail at determining which PCs can safely switch to Windows 10.  This is certainly not a situation where the device is a closed system.  They're screwing up mobo, software, and driver compatibility.  None of those are issues with game consoles where all configurations are known.  This isn't like when Microsoft bricked Xbox consoles with a firmware update--that was a mistake on their part, while this is more like them not caring.

Also, I'm very much questioning W10 stability at this point.  W10 does not seem to notice when there is a problem, requiring the user to resort to the task manager.  Today, I tried to drag and drop text from a browser based ebook to an office program, which I do often for note keeping.  This time, for some reason, it froze the browser and the office program.  I left them alone for several minutes and W10 did nothing at all, even though the office program did the "stopped working" greyed out thing.  I've noticed this several times in the past, as well.  It's obvious W10 still needs some work.

Its a perfect analogy, you can update a console and have companies brick your system, eg acouple years ago with the PS3 firmware update.

I am using Win10 right now as i right this message and guess what i am having no issues with it and my PC is running 2010 hardware.  Only problem i am having is with Nortan, doesnt seem to like Win10. Apart from that, its a great OS and worth it. Go apple if you dont like MS or think they care haha.

Around the Network

I've caved in and despite being a W7 fan and hating W8 (my gf has it and I still can't learn to use it), I've installed W10 on my new gaming PC and so far I love it. I don't feel like going back to 7 to be honest.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Azzanation said:

Its a perfect analogy, you can update a console and have companies brick your system, eg acouple years ago with the PS3 firmware update.

I am using Win10 right now as i right this message and guess what i am having no issues with it and my PC is running 2010 hardware.  Only problem i am having is with Nortan, doesnt seem to like Win10. Apart from that, its a great OS and worth it. Go apple if you dont like MS or think they care haha.

It's obviously not a perfect analogy, as Microsoft did not manufacture my PC.  Perfect would mean that the two situations match completely.  They do not.  In one case, Microsoft knows and is responsible for EVERY PART of the product, including the OS.  That's why when they had a firmware update that bricked Xbox consoles, they replaced those consoles.  However, Microsoft has no such control over my PC or its confirguration.  They ONLY have control and responsibility of the OS.  If Windows 10 doesn't work with someone's mother board, you think they're buying everyone a new PC?  No.  Therefore, your analogy is not "perfect".

Lots of people haven't had a problem with Windows 10.  Lots of people have.  One does not invalidate the other in any shape or form.  Because some people never had RRoD on their Xbox 360 doesn't mean it didn't happen to others.

lol, microsoft crossed the limits with W10 marketing, they are almost forcing people to upgrade

however, I feel a bit weird cause I avoided W10 for so long until I recently updated to fix a stupid error, and W10 is totally worth it, and it's free, just sayin

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Microsoft already announced one month ago that they will remove the update request end of July:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-will-soon-stop-nagging-users-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

/thread

Around the Network

They'll probably extend it another year or just keep doing the annoying pop ups but will charge for windows 10.
Hopefully, I'm wrong about it because I'm sick of the pop ups, No, I don't want your ******* windows 10.

Conina said:
Microsoft already announced one month ago that they will remove the update request end of July:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-will-soon-stop-nagging-users-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

/thread

Knowing MS, I'll believe that when I see no more pop ups related to windows 10.

I have no issues with W10. I turned all those data mining options off and its been pretty good. I was gonna update my other laptop from W7 to it but my nephew and niece decided that it was thirsty and gave it a drink.

The automated install was a mistake for sure.

That said I have installed W10 hundreds of times now, maybe into the thousands, and have had far less issues than W8/8.1 in that time. Most of the corporations I work for are now on W10 exclusively.

Gamers will pretty much have to go W10 fairly soon or be unable to play new games. UWP aside, new generation GPUs and more advanced drivers mean that W7/8/8.1 won't be doable for gaming beyond say fall 2017 at the latest. DX12 is needed for things like feasible async compute, etc.

I absolutely know that DX12 could have been made for W7, and even Vista, because the kernel of the OS is close enough for it to have been ported back without much trouble beyond a service pack. But Microsoft wants people to update sooner and not get into another Windows XP situation where they were tied to ancient code for so long. A lot of people don't know, but W8 and W10 actually removed a lot of excess junk that was residing in W7. The proof is in the install size, W10 can be installed on absolutely tiny drives, a fresh install is well under 10GB if you disable hibernation. W7 is more like 20ish.

The funny thing to me is people saying they will switch to Mac. Apple has the WORST record with supporting hardware in the world. A clear example : I have a Macbook Pro 2006 model (Intel Dual-Core, ATI Video). I upgraded it to 4GB of ram and a 240GB SSD (got it for $39 woohoo) a little while back. Apple long ago dropped it from the OSX support, so the newest OSX you can run is basically obsolete with any new software. Well screw that, I simply installed Windows 10 on it, and it runs like a boss. I installed all the drivers manually, and everything works perfectly. I have the newest Firefox w/Ublock on it, it plays 1080p videos great, even some light gaming is fine. And that's a TEN year old system. Apple long ago gave it their middle finger, but Microsoft's newest OS runs on it perfectly. The flexibility of windows is impressive.

Linux can also be incredible with long-term support as well, but it's not quite as straightforward, and the usual problems with old versions not running newer software is still valid.

Torillian said:
Azzanation said:

Sounds like your alittle unlucky. All my updates have not caused any problems for me and 10 has been the best one. Honesty its a superior OS to 8 and 7 and with DX12 being 10 exclusive, it boosts your PCs preformance without even upgrading it. The OS also uses less resounces which means better preformance off the bat. 

Win10 will get updates like any other OS. Little problems you get will be fixed over time.

Again free upgrade, and a better OS. No loss.

And I wouldn't mind getting Windows 10 after said little problems are fixed, but I do not appreciate being forced to upgrade when OS changes often lead to issues such as this.  I want the choice.  

Luckily, i caught windows 10 before it was ninja installed. About a week ago, I kept getting a windows 10 pop up about every 10 to 15 mins. I got annoyed by it pretty quickly and payed more attention to what it said. It was a countdown to when windows 10 installed but I never okayed it. I tried to cancel it immediately but there was no option to cancel it. I had to change when it would update then I had to cancel that to finally get wins 10 not to install. 

It's disingenuous of MS to try to make it more difficult to cancel the (free) update to windows 10 by trying to hide the option to do so. The fact that I never agreed to it in the first place is a different dickhead move altogether. I do not for the life of me understand how some people get so googly eyed over anything to do with MS when microsoft does stuff like this.