By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will the Windows 10 push nightmare actually end in July, or...?

What happens after July 29?

No more sneaky forced upgrades. 25 27.17%

Deal is extended for another year. 38 41.30%

Upgrades are forced, and ... 29 31.52%

Total:92

Im surprised how PC gamers havnt upgraded to Win 10 yet. Windows 7 is limited to DX11. If you havnt upgraded, i recommand it for the best preformance.

Around the Network

Why wouldn't anyone take a free upgrade is the real question.

tinfamous12 said:

Copy and pasted from the last time I explained this:

"Personally I wasn't too enthused about "upgrading" because the last time they forced something like this on me (8.0 to 8.1 patch) it broke my HDMI out and I found out that the drivers hadn't been updated for that patch.  Every major OS change comes with little niggles like that and I'm ok with that if I choose to update my OS but if it's forced upon me those little issues become much more major in my mind.  

Thankfully the update to 10 (which I was tricked into) did not seem to break anything but my wife's computer's calculator no longer works.  Again, that's a small complaint, but if you're forcing an update on me and it breaks something I consider important for how I use my computer I'm going to be rightfully annoyed.  "

Torillian said:
tinfamous12 said:

"Personally I wasn't too enthused about "upgrading" because the last time they forced something like this on me (8.0 to 8.1 patch) it broke my HDMI out and I found out that the drivers hadn't been updated for that patch.  Every major OS change comes with little niggles like that and I'm ok with that if I choose to update my OS but if it's forced upon me those little issues become much more major in my mind.  

Thankfully the update to 10 (which I was tricked into) did not seem to break anything but my wife's computer's calculator no longer works.  Again, that's a small complaint, but if you're forcing an update on me and it breaks something I consider important for how I use my computer I'm going to be rightfully annoyed.  "

Sounds like your alittle unlucky. All my updates have not caused any problems for me and 10 has been the best one. Honesty its a superior OS to 8 and 7 and with DX12 being 10 exclusive, it boosts your PCs preformance without even upgrading it. The OS also uses less resounces which means better preformance off the bat. 

Win10 will get updates like any other OS. Little problems you get will be fixed over time.

Again free upgrade, and a better OS. No loss.

Azzanation said:
Torillian said:

Sounds like your alittle unlucky. All my updates have not caused any problems for me and 10 has been the best one. Honesty its a superior OS to 8 and 7 and with DX12 being 10 exclusive, it boosts your PCs preformance without even upgrading it. The OS also uses less resounces which means better preformance off the bat. 

Win10 will get updates like any other OS. Little problems you get will be fixed over time.

My old laptop ran worse, fan almost constantly on high and started randomly rebooting. Back to 7.
Lots of annoying little things too like the hardware volume buttons not working anymore.
Free downgrade for a worse OS. Lost a full day doing a factory reset as the revert to windows 7 didn't fix it.

Anyway I've been screwed before with automatic updates and auto restarts, as long as updates are forced in win 10 I won't put it on my new laptop no matter how much they fix the little problems. Don't fix what's not broken.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Torillian said:

And I wouldn't mind getting Windows 10 after said little problems are fixed, but I do not appreciate being forced to upgrade when OS changes often lead to issues such as this.  I want the choice.  

Azzanation said:
Im surprised how PC gamers havnt upgraded to Win 10 yet. Windows 7 is limited to DX11. If you havnt upgraded, i recommand it for the best preformance.

I've heard that song and dance with all the past direct X's. I stopped caring.

Azzanation said:

TONS of people are a "little unlucky."  W10 has been a disaster on my quad core AMD.  

Windows 10 is an upgrade in some regards, a side-grade in most regards, and a downgrade in several key areas.  Before anyone moves to W10, they should read up on the subject and decide what is important to them.  It's certainly not a situation where W10 is the best solution across the board.

Some of the things I DON'T like about W10:

• You have no control over updates.  A few days ago, W10 was downloading a GPU driver I had already installed and it was using ALL my bandwidth.  I couldn't turn it off, I couldn't stop it, and I couldn't connect to ANY webpages (I specifically came to check for an email response from a professor).  That's ridiculous.  It also comes preset to restart whenever it wants but, thankfully, you can turn that off--kind of.
  • W10 is basically spyware.  Same difference, really.  You can turn a lot of that off but not all of it.
  • Two control panels with different settings is stupid.
  • If you have metered bandwidth and an ethernet connected PC, you might be out of luck.  W10 uses your bandwidth when and how it wants.  You might only be able to change this with a wireless connection, depending on your service method.
  • It doesn't work well with some older hardware and software, if at all.  Drivers have to be updated.  If they aren't then you're screwed.
  • Customization has gone backwards in a lot of areas.  Many people hate tiles but Microsoft REMOVED features from the W10 beta that would have let you change your Start Menu to be more like W7.
  • W10 will install apps (or whatever it wants) without asking.

Those are of the things I've noticed or looked into myself.  It's not all rainbows and kittens.  That being said, I will probably stay with W10 because the file structure is improved (it can get muddled with an upgrade from W7, as you'll have leftover elements) and the boot is quicker (on new hardware--old hardware, you might have to turn off Microsoft's Fast Start solution or it will crash your PC).

Azzanation said:
Torillian said:

I did hear about Windows 10 having some problems with drivers/certain programs not working during the first few months for a fair few people so I can understand not wanting to upgrade right away for businesses and people that rely on their computer for work since it's better to be safe than sorry.

However from what I gather, it's getting better in that regards. Still not as stable as Windows 7 though.

My own personal opinion of Windows 10 is that it is a big upgrade in absolutely every way that I use it. I personally have not had a single problem with it but I don't use my PC to game much or to do much more than surf the web, use some apps/programs, and use Microsoft Office for school projects. My favorite thing about Windows 10 is that it is so quick. From a cold start to the time I'm on the desktop usually takes less than 15 seconds.

Windows 10 fucked up all of my Nvidia drivers when I did it...and there was like a 3 month period when I had to update all of my drivers (for several things) manually.

Everything is fine now luckily. But I can certainly are why people would be apprehensive.

Also, I don't find 10 noticeably better than 7...but whatever.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.