By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will the Windows 10 push nightmare actually end in July, or...?

What happens after July 29?

No more sneaky forced upgrades. 25 27.17%

Deal is extended for another year. 38 41.30%

Upgrades are forced, and ... 29 31.52%

Total:92

I use windows 7... no way they get me to upgrade. 7 is the best one.

Around the Network
Bryank75 said:
I use windows 7... no way they get me to upgrade. 7 is the best one.

It used to be. A few options in 10 have made it surpass windows 7. These are strictly HTPC related though so they probably wont matter to almost anyone except HTPC users.

Well, those paranoid they will force an upgrade AND make you pay for it can relax. Microsoft is being sleazy with this but they know their legal boundaries. Forcing people to pay would leave them legally exposed in a HUGE way. Their legal team won't allow them to do that. I could see them extending the deal if they are determined in their closed-garden goals.

I hope they stop. This is just annoying. When has Windows been so desperate to be installed? Surely Linux and MacOS aren't catching up that fast :O

It's not MS.. It's Skynet.. And when everyone has it installed.. Judgement Day will begin

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Well I believe they said that they won't do the free upgrades anymore after July. Most likely what will happen is people will get notifications of "special promotions" and etc to encourage them to upgrade.

But most importantly, I think what they will do is stop supporting Windows 7 with security updates and etc in order to force people to upgrade. As of right now, people that don't upgrade and stay with Windows 7 will still get security updates but if they stop with those updates like they did with Windows XP. then people and business will have no choice unless they want to have giant security holes in their system.

I think that will be the final nail in the coffin cause I really don't see how people will stay when MS announced they will stop support for Windows 7. And that's one of the main reasons why I upgraded to Windows 10... 

Honestly, its better to do it when its free than when you gotta pay for the thing cause eventually, unless you want to go Linux or OSX, you will have to upgrade. Cause there is no way they are going to continue to support Windows 7 for much longer imo

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Ljink96 said:
I hope they stop. This is just annoying. When has Windows been so desperate to be installed? Surely Linux and MacOS aren't catching up that fast :O

Because they're pushing the Windows App Store.  That's the direction they want to go, where they end PC being an open platform and turn it into a Microsoft platform.  Not only does that mean money for them, it also means control.

Personally, I have W10 but the app store can go die.  I won't put money into it unless I have no other choice.

Hiku said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well I believe they said that they won't do the free upgrades anymore after July. Most likely what will happen is people will get notifications of "special promotions" and etc to encourage them to upgrade.

But most importantly, I think what they will do is stop supporting Windows 7 with security updates and etc in order to force people to upgrade. As of right now, people that don't upgrade and stay with Windows 7 will still get security updates but if they stop with those updates like they did with Windows XP. then people and business will have no choice unless they want to have giant security holes in their system.

I think that will be the final nail in the coffin cause I really don't see how people will stay when MS announced they will stop support for Windows 7. And that's one of the main reasons why I upgraded to Windows 10... 

Honestly, its better to do it when its free than when you gotta pay for the thing cause eventually, unless you want to go Linux or OSX, you will have to upgrade. Cause there is no way they are going to continue to support Windows 7 for much longer imo

Well, they continued supporting XP with security updates for 12 years. Right now Windows 7 has been out for almost 7 years, so I hope they'll continue for a few more years at least. Then I'll see what I'll do.

Yea but they didn't have much incentive to get people to upgrade like they do now... If they keep their promise of ending their free upgrade in July, then I don't think Windows 7 will get the same cycle as Windows XP did. If anything, business might continue to get security updates through their extended support program but consumes... To me it seems like the best way to force people to upgrade if I was MS.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Hiku said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea but they didn't have much incentive to get people to upgrade like they do now... If they keep their promise of ending their free upgrade in July, then I don't think Windows 7 will get the same cycle as Windows XP did. If anything, business might continue to get security updates through their extended support program but consumes... To me it seems like the best way to force people to upgrade if I was MS.

I agree, but I can also see cutting long term support for their OS's by almost half as a risky move as well. It's one thing to push people towards a new, "better" version of the things we've come to expect from an MS OS. But to drastically lower our expectations of their long term support for those systems to the point where it becomes unpredictable and untrustworthy (if it's 12 years for XE, then 7 years for Win7, who's to say it's not going to be 3 years for Win 10?), then people will become increasingly cautious with where they invest their time and money. Having such a long term of support for XP earned them a good reputation mainly among businesses and schools that couldn't afford to upgrade their computers or OS's often enough.
Even if they go completely Free-to-use, that won't help those who don't have the hardware to support a new OS.

While that is true and its a very good point, MS did say Windows 10 will be their last Windows OS so... I think thats how they will market it and go the Apple route. And I do think it will be mainly for consumers they will stop the security updates and not businesses. Even Windows XP gotten extended support for businesses that used Windows XP through their extended support program well after they officially stopped supporting it.

I really do hope that is not the case but like, Windows 7 isn't really making them much money from the consumer standpoint since they don't sell them as much as they sell Windows 8 and 10 anymore in retail locations and on top of it, Windows 7 doesn't have their app store or their ad placements and etc. While I don't think they will stop supporting it like right after the free upgrade ends, I really don't think Windows 7 will get the same cycle for consumers as their other OS's did.

But we will see! Fingers crossed T_T

Edit: And honestly, if they cared what consumers think, they wouldn't have forced PCs to upgrade which seems to cause anywhere from being annoying to breaking computers 

NiKKoM said:
It's not MS.. It's Skynet.. And when everyone has it installed.. Judgement Day will begin

LOL yes. 

Its also recursive and tracels back in time to program itself.