By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will the Windows 10 push nightmare actually end in July, or...?

What happens after July 29?

No more sneaky forced upgrades. 25 27.17%

Deal is extended for another year. 38 41.30%

Upgrades are forced, and ... 29 31.52%

Total:92

I hope they stop. Not interested in getting Windows 10, so this whole mess is just annoying.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Azzanation said:

Sounds like your alittle unlucky. All my updates have not caused any problems for me and 10 has been the best one. Honesty its a superior OS to 8 and 7 and with DX12 being 10 exclusive, it boosts your PCs preformance without even upgrading it. The OS also uses less resounces which means better preformance off the bat. 

Win10 will get updates like any other OS. Little problems you get will be fixed over time.

Again free upgrade, and a better OS. No loss.

And I wouldn't mind getting Windows 10 after said little problems are fixed, but I do not appreciate being forced to upgrade when OS changes often lead to issues such as this.  I want the choice.  

Your not being forced because if you were forced you would already have Windows 10. 

Look at it this, you get Window's Edge which is notably faster than Explorer and as quick as other search engines. You have access to DX12 for gaming which is nothing more then a plus in all aspects and is so far the best API on the market so far. And you have access to some X1 exclusives. All that for free. 

Its up to you, if you choose to wait theres nothing wrong with that. I upgraded on day one and my 5 year old PC is running like a new machine. And i havnt paid 1 cent. Just my personal opinion. 

Azzanation said:
Torillian said:

And I wouldn't mind getting Windows 10 after said little problems are fixed, but I do not appreciate being forced to upgrade when OS changes often lead to issues such as this.  I want the choice.  

Your not being forced because if you were forced you would already have Windows 10. 

Look at it this, you get Window's Edge which is notably faster than Explorer and as quick as other search engines. You have access to DX12 for gaming which is nothing more then a plus in all aspects and is so far the best API on the market so far. And you have access to some X1 exclusives. All that for free. 

Its up to you, if you choose to wait theres nothing wrong with that. I upgraded on day one and my 5 year old PC is running like a new machine. And i havnt paid 1 cent. Just my personal opinion. 

I do have Windows 10, and I was forced.  It was upgraded while I had the computer on for something else without any confirmation from me.  Changing the meaning ofthe "x" to "agree" is done to trick people that have come to expect that "x" means to close the update.  I got tricked by that and my computer updated randomly during the day.  It hasn't seem to break anything, but I do not appreciate how I was forced to uprade or tricked into upgrading.  

Torillian said:
Azzanation said:

I do have Windows 10, and I was forced.  It was upgraded while I had the computer on for something else without any confirmation from me.  Changing the meaning ofthe "x" to "agree" is done to trick people that have come to expect that "x" means to close the update.  I got tricked by that and my computer updated randomly during the day.  It hasn't seem to break anything, but I do not appreciate how I was forced to uprade or tricked into upgrading.  

I am sorry to hear that, however thats not forced, thats just a mistake on your part. Forced is when you dont have a choice, if you clicked the wrong option then thats clearly your error. (If i read what you wront correctly)

I know what you mean by the [X] to confirm, thats the system there using now.

All OS's will have problems on launch, iv never had an OS that doesnt have any issues, the best thing about this situation is that MS is giving you the update for free and the benefits out weight the negatives by a fair mile. Win10 is futuring proofing your PC, i only use mine solely for gaming and media so from that perpective its the best thing you can do to your PC and its free.

My wife was trying to help a friend via text chat tonight. Her friend is 90 and her pc automatically updated. Now she can't read anything anymore as the words are too small. Nor can she find the search option, display options or anything else, she barely knew how to use the pc yet managed at 90. Class act MS, not like she'll be a valued customer much longer anyway...

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Torillian said:

I am sorry to hear that, however thats not forced, thats just a mistake on your part. Forced is when you dont have a choice, if you clicked the wrong option then thats clearly your error. (If i read what you wront correctly)

All OS's will have problems on launch, iv never had an OS that doesnt have any issues, the best thing about this situation is that MS is giving you the update for free and the benefits out weight the negatives by a fair mile. Win10 is futuring proofing your PC, i only use mine solely for gaming and media so from that perpective its the best thing you can do to your PC and its free.

That's a crappy argument. You can say that for any OS upgrade. The point is: why is this a thing to begin with? Once someone says no, that's it. Never bother them again. Never put it in the update section. And never do any form of popup taskbar spam. It's the same nonsense with MS Silverlight. You say no. But only for that version. Once a new one comes up. It shows up again, in the list. And when was clicking X, the same as accept. You'd bitch if it was a 3rd party program that installed weatherbug, by you clicking X. 

I don't care about the problems of the OS. Or the benefits. I don't care about their store or DX12. I just want to keep Windows 7. I use my PC for everything. Including work. But thanks to these sneaky tactics. I had to disable updates. And have to perodically check on news articles, to avoid this crap. Then, manually update what's important, since Febuary. Doing stuff. That I shouldn't be doing. This is just as anoying as Sprint spaming text messages in getting a iPhone 6. You can't block them.

archer9234 said:
Azzanation said:

That's a crappy argument. You can say that for any OS upgrade. The point is: why is this a thing to begin with? Once someone says no, that's it. Never bother them again. Never put it in the update section. And never do any form of popup taskbar spam. It's the same nonsense with MS Silverlight. You say no. But only for that version. Once a new one comes up. It shows up again, in the list. And when was clicking X, the same as accept. You'd bitch if it was a 3rd party program that installed weatherbug, by you clicking X. 

I don't care about the problems of the OS. Or the benefits. I don't care about their store or DX12. I just want to keep Windows 7. I use my PC for everything. Including work. But thanks to these sneaky tactics. I had to disable updates. And have to perodically check on news articles, to avoid this crap. Then, manually update what's important, since Febuary. Doing stuff. That I shouldn't be doing. This is just as anoying as Sprint spaming text messages in getting a iPhone 6. You can't block them.

No need to get mad, if you dont like Windows or MS or PCs i suggest stop using them completely. Windows 7 is a thing of the past. Just like everything else. If your foolish enough to update your old OS to a superiour OS by mistake then thats on you. Twist it anyway you like. I knew what i was doing when Windows 10 came out, i knew how not to upgrade to it and im not a nerd to figure that out.

Azzanation said:
archer9234 said:

No need to get mad, if you dont like Windows or MS or PCs i suggest stop using them completely. Windows 7 is a thing of the past. Just like everything else. If your foolish enough to update your old OS to a superiour OS by mistake then thats on you. Twist it anyway you like. I knew what i was doing when Windows 10 came out, i knew how not to upgrade to it and im not a nerd to figure that out.

So you knew a certain KB update had the windows 10 spam alert and avoided it, on your own? I avoided all this nosense too. But That doesn't mean what MS does is right. That's the point. You say no, that's it. And you don't put it in security updates. You lable it as: "WINDOWS 10 FREE UPDATE INSTALLER" Not KB303805

archer9234 said:
Azzanation said:

So you knew a certain KB update had the windows 10 spam alert and avoided it, on your own? I avoided all this nosense too. But That doesn't mean what MS does is right. That's the point. You say no, that's it. And you don't put it in security updates. You lable it as: "WINDOWS 10 FREE UPDATE INSTALLER" Not KB303805

Are you new to updating? Do you have a choice when Sony, Nintendo, and XBox ask for a firmware update? Remember what happened to the PS3 with one of their firmware updates bricking gamer’s consoles? All updates on all devices are being pushed on everyone. Windows 10 is still Windows 7 just upgraded just like when you update your console. If you’re happy to accept it on other devices but not on others says something about the individual.

Don’t tell me it’s different. It’s the same. I think a lot of people on here are complaining due to a company then the actual update itself.

Nike’s modo “JUST DO IT”

Azzanation said:

Are you new to updating? Do you have a choice when Sony, Nintendo, and XBox ask for a firmware update? Remember what happened to the PS3 with one of their firmware updates bricking gamer’s consoles? All updates on all devices are being pushed on everyone. Windows 10 is still Windows 7 just upgraded just like when you update your console. If you’re happy to accept it on other devices but not on others says something about the individual.

Don’t tell me it’s different. It’s the same. I think a lot of people on here are complaining due to a company then the actual update itself.

Nike’s modo “JUST DO IT”

Horrible analogy that's blind to the fact as to why so many people are having trouble with Windows 10.  Microsoft had zero part in building any of my PCs and they very obviously fail at determining which PCs can safely switch to Windows 10.  This is certainly not a situation where the device is a closed system.  They're screwing up mobo, software, and driver compatibility.  None of those are issues with game consoles where all configurations are known.  This isn't like when Microsoft bricked Xbox consoles with a firmware update--that was a mistake on their part, while this is more like them not caring.

Also, I'm very much questioning W10 stability at this point.  W10 does not seem to notice when there is a problem, requiring the user to resort to the task manager.  Today, I tried to drag and drop text from a browser based ebook to an office program, which I do often for note keeping.  This time, for some reason, it froze the browser and the office program.  I left them alone for several minutes and W10 did nothing at all, even though the office program did the "stopped working" greyed out thing.  I've noticed this several times in the past, as well.  It's obvious W10 still needs some work.