By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware and software up!

Teeqoz said:
Can we get precise numbers for R&C, or is 207.5k all we get?

Really interested in knowing how well this game does.

Should be 10 million easy, 90% of sales coming from you! :-| :p

Around the Network
Aquamarine said:

Wonder what happened to Creamsugar this month?

Sometimes creamsugar takes a while to appear.

Aquamarine said:
ExtremeBrawler said:
Quantum Break is much less than what I expected, damn at those COD bundles, Star Fox is a bit lower than what I expected, while Bravely Second had a relevant drop compared to Bravely Default, even if it was available for less days than Bravely Default in its debut month.

I wonder how both Nintendo games sold digitally, though. I suppose Bravely Second's digital share was higher than SF0's. Aqua, I hope this isn't a stupid request, but is there a digital share average for Nintendo titles? That would be useful for digital estimates.

7.9% is the digital share average for software as of FY3/16. Nintendo tends to be a lot lower than companies like Activision / EA / Ubisoft because their games are primarily bought and sold by children and families....and you have to buy a separate harddrive for Wii U digital titles.

It can vary significantly with titles, though. More niche titles (like RPGs) tend to have greater digital dissemination. I would expect >30% digital for Bravely Second, easily.

This digital share average is for the software released overall in this gen so far or just for the past fiscal year? I'm asking because I tend to think digital shares for Nintendo titles have been growing in the most recent times, just like the rest of the industry, even if on a significantly smaller scale due to the reasons you mentioned. 

Also, it's true it can vary a lot depending on the titles considered.

Aquamarine said:

But I literally have permission from NPD to give out this information this month...thanks to my NPD contact.......who they banned -_-

I know.  You stated that very clearly before. (Which really makes Gaf look dodgy) ...  Still, thanks for what you do!  We really appreciate it here. 

ExtremeBrawler said:
Aquamarine said:

7.9% is the digital share average for software as of FY3/16. Nintendo tends to be a lot lower than companies like Activision / EA / Ubisoft because their games are primarily bought and sold by children and families....and you have to buy a separate harddrive for Wii U digital titles.

It can vary significantly with titles, though. More niche titles (like RPGs) tend to have greater digital dissemination. I would expect >30% digital for Bravely Second, easily.

This digital share average is for the software released overall in this gen so far or just for the past fiscal year? I'm asking because I tend to think digital shares for Nintendo titles have been growing in the most recent times, just like the rest of the industry, even if on a significantly smaller scale due to the reasons you mentioned. 

Yes, it's just for this fiscal year, and yes, Nintendo digital % shares are growing rapidly with the rest of the industry in terms of percent change.

Last fiscal year, for example:

FY3/2015: 4.6%

At the beginning of the gen the average was virtually non-existent. Now it comprises a very real percentage of titles.

Around the Network

So... there was a lot of speculation going around that Neo would hurt PS4 sales.
PS4 winds up flat in April and up YoY through May.

Xbox One on the other hand was on sale with free games under $299 and dropped 10% YoY while being down YoY through May. Is it okay to say that Xbox One sales were hurt by 1.5 rumors... or is it okay to say that Neo rumors hurt Xbox One sales?

Wii U... well obviously their sales are hurting and will continue to be hurt by Nx until March 2017 I can't wait for the first NPD with Nx in it.  Should be great.

Aquamarine said:
ExtremeBrawler said:

Yes, it's just for this fiscal year, and yes, Nintendo digital % shares are growing rapidly with the rest of the industry in terms of percent change.

Oh, so it should reach or come near 10% average by March 2017, quite the progress! And, soon, the world! M.Bison: Of course!

Seriously, though, didn't think Nintendo was still this low on average, given there were reports of several games having pretty good digital shares (Smash 3DS, Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, first examples in my mind), but it surely depend on the game, those were probably major positive outlets. But I suppose the real factor is that (my theory, probably I'm wrong) Nintendo's will to not drop prices digitally as often and as quickly as Sony and MS do on their titles affects digital shares in the long time: people just prefer buying games at retail, especially considering how prices at retail drop quicker than on the eShop.

ExtremeBrawler said:
Aquamarine said:

Oh, so it should reach or come near 10% average by March 2017, quite the progress! And, soon, the world! M.Bison: Of course!

Seriously, though, didn't think Nintendo was still this low on average, given there were reports of several games having pretty good digital shares (Smash 3DS, Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, first examples in my mind), but it surely depend on the game, those were probably major positive outlets. But I suppose the real factor is that (my theory, probably I'm wrong) Nintendo's will to not drop prices digitally as often and as quickly as Sony and MS do on their titles affects digital shares in the long time: people just prefer buying games at retail, especially considering how prices at retail drop quicker than on the eShop.

Yes, Nintendo's stubbornly-high digital prices are a culprit. The lack of dedicated Wii U storage space is another culprit.

Also, remember that Nintendo has a robust back-catalog of evergreen titles that continue to sell to children and families like Pokemon, Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8...these kids buy almost exclusively physical.

Not to mention, the non-Nintendo retail titles that release for Nintendo platforms are almost exclusively for children these days as well (like Skylanders, LEGO games from Warner Bros., etc.)...which are again bought physically.

...But as core-leaning titles like Fire Emblem gain larger prominence within Nintendo's overall lineup, the digital average will rise precipitously.

Aquamarine said:
Mr. Sega said:
Quantum Break sales is a disaster.

It's not possible to have a precise number for Ratchet & Clank?

Teeqoz said:
Can we get precise numbers for R&C, or is 207.5k all we get?

Really interested in knowing how well this game does.

We'll see...I may post it later on (like a few days from now). I'll check to see if what I posted is too excessive, and if I get the greenlight I'll share it.

Wonder what happened to Creamsugar this month?

Maybe he feels the same way you do about that place. It is getting ridiculous. I think the mods have some type of jealousy towards popular members.

And wow at you asking to be unbanned and getting no response. They had no problems before with you taking a break and coming back. That's some BS.

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

Massive drop for Bravely Second from the first one, Time for SE to port it to its most profitable sector!