By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware and software up!

So have Xbox One sales been down YoY every month this year so far?

Around the Network

Too bad for Quantum Break, guess Sony has the monopoly on Cinematic Action Adventure Games because the audience is where it is.

Microsoft's fans will always be shooters and with the userbase not exactly as good as last gen, new IPs will be a hard sell. Too much risk for few rewards.

Aquamarine said:

Comments on the sell-through 

snip

Thanks for the numbers. Excellent showing for DkS III. Glad the game sold well, it truly deserves it. Second best in the series behind DeS in my opinion. Interested to see what FromSoft will do next.

Any chance we could get a Dark Souls 3 split or ballpark estimate? I imagine it's between 3:1 and 4:1, not sure why Xbox guys don't really like the Souls games, maybe they just don't like Japanese games, but the Souls games are very westernized in gameplay and theme.

No numbers for Ratchet, but would 250-280k be an accurate range? I know Insomniac said it also sold well digitally. Great game but hope they ditch the movie if they decide to remake R&C2 since the movie was a major flop in reviews and revenue. 

It looks like PS Vita is undertracked on VGChartz! ^^

I really love how Sony is finding the balance of AAA,mid-tier and indie on PS4. That's what always been missing last-gen, other game genre just can't compete because of developers and pubs were busy shooting for that AAA stars and failed to cultivate what has always been the safest route to success.

Around the Network
FIT_Gamer said:
So have Xbox One sales been down YoY every month this year so far?

Down in January, February and April, up in March. Down 6% YoY for the first 4 months combined.

Aquamarine said:
ExtremeBrawler said:

Oh, so it should reach or come near 10% average by March 2017, quite the progress! And, soon, the world! M.Bison: Of course!

Seriously, though, didn't think Nintendo was still this low on average, given there were reports of several games having pretty good digital shares (Smash 3DS, Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, first examples in my mind), but it surely depend on the game, those were probably major positive outlets. But I suppose the real factor is that (my theory, probably I'm wrong) Nintendo's will to not drop prices digitally as often and as quickly as Sony and MS do on their titles affects digital shares in the long time: people just prefer buying games at retail, especially considering how prices at retail drop quicker than on the eShop.

Yes, Nintendo's stubbornly-high digital prices are a culprit. The lack of dedicated Wii U storage space is another culprit.

Also, remember that Nintendo has a robust back-catalog of evergreen titles that continue to sell to children and families like Pokemon, Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8...these kids buy almost exclusively physical.

Not to mention, the non-Nintendo retail titles that release for Nintendo platforms are almost exclusively for children these days as well (like Skylanders, LEGO games from Warner Bros., etc.)...which are again bought physically.

...But as core-leaning titles like Fire Emblem gain larger prominence within Nintendo's overall lineup, the digital average will rise precipitously.

Do we have any demographic data on the Wii U suggesting that it has any higher demographic of children compared to current gen or last gen consoles? The only data I know of is an eShop chart from Unite 2014, and it showed only 6% were under 18 (another interesting tidbit is a whopping 93% male), however the methodology for gathering the ages isn't the best as it's only for eShop, and parents would be likely to set up an account for their children. Regardless, it does really seem like this "Nintendo appeals to children" is based more on the products Nintendo pushes (bright, colorful games, soft edges, anthropomorphic characters, simplified online, amiibo dolls, few mature games, etc) rather than their actual demographic which appears to be inconsistent with what they're pushing (and I think they should really ditch the kiddy, family friendly image, but that's for another time)

It really seems to be the ever diminishing Nintendo faithful that grew up with Nintendo that buys it and their games every gen, not so much for children. I guess anither alternative is that these Nintendo faithful buy their children Wii U because they grew up with Nintendo and want their children to experience it as well.

Games like Minecraft and LEGO and Skylanders and other children games seem to do well on last gen especially (as adults give their children their old consoles as they buy the new console), but does the data suggest that they skew towards Wii U in any significant way? 

kurasakiichimaru said:

I really love how Sony is finding the balance of AAA,mid-tier and indie on PS4. That's what always been missing last-gen, other game genre just can't compete because of developers and pubs were busy shooting for that AAA stars and failed to cultivate what has always been the safest route to success.

PlayStation has always been about variety and as a result appealed to a wide range of tastes, which is why it is the most successful console globally. Last gen was the same story, but maybe with XBLA it could be argued that Xbox had the early advantage over PS3 with indies. 

I do agree though that indies and mid tier are important. The rise of prominence of indies is one of the best trends this gen imo, I've had some of the best experiences this gen with Resogun, Geometry Wars 3, N++, Race the Sun, Rogue Legacy, Shovel Knight, etc. Never understood the notion of people just dismissing indies and only caring about AAAs. 

CosmicSex said:

So... there was a lot of speculation going around that Neo would hurt PS4 sales.
PS4 winds up flat in April and up YoY through May.

Xbox One on the other hand was on sale with free games under $299 and dropped 10% YoY while being down YoY through May. Is it okay to say that Xbox One sales were hurt by 1.5 rumors... or is it okay to say that Neo rumors hurt Xbox One sales?

Wii U... well obviously their sales are hurting and will continue to be hurt by Nx until March 2017 I can't wait for the first NPD with Nx in it.  Should be great.

Xbox 1.5 Rumors are the ones who hurted the sales of Xbox One on USA, Microsoft gave a Official pronunciation about Upgradable consoles in March 1, they saw the Sales declining like a Rocket and made a Price cut for April, they also made another Official Statement to Spin over the first  announcement for the sake of Xbox One's Sales.

Aquamarine said:
ExtremeBrawler said:

Oh, so it should reach or come near 10% average by March 2017, quite the progress! And, soon, the world! M.Bison: Of course!

Seriously, though, didn't think Nintendo was still this low on average, given there were reports of several games having pretty good digital shares (Smash 3DS, Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, first examples in my mind), but it surely depend on the game, those were probably major positive outlets. But I suppose the real factor is that (my theory, probably I'm wrong) Nintendo's will to not drop prices digitally as often and as quickly as Sony and MS do on their titles affects digital shares in the long time: people just prefer buying games at retail, especially considering how prices at retail drop quicker than on the eShop.

Yes, Nintendo's stubbornly-high digital prices are a culprit. The lack of dedicated Wii U storage space is another culprit.

Also, remember that Nintendo has a robust back-catalog of evergreen titles that continue to sell to children and families like Pokemon, Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8...these kids buy almost exclusively physical.

Not to mention, the non-Nintendo retail titles that release for Nintendo platforms are almost exclusively for children these days as well (like Skylanders, LEGO games from Warner Bros., etc.)...which are again bought physically.

...But as core-leaning titles like Fire Emblem gain larger prominence within Nintendo's overall lineup, the digital average will rise precipitously.

Yeah, those sound like reasonable factors influencing digital share of sales. Having a bigger family-friendly focus than the other two hardware makers bring in lower digital shares on average, even if more "core-focused" titles have a much higher-than-average share. Thanks for sharing what you can as always, Aqua. And thanks for the good conversation, as usual.

...And, if possible, give us Bayonetta 2's LTD, please. I know I asked it last month as well, but I hope this time it's possible to share anything on the matter XD