By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA on NX support: "If it makes sense for us - we'll be there"

Your interpretation:

Strong NDA 29 13.74%

Unprecedent tired joke 59 27.96%

It's a big no 102 48.34%

Other... 21 9.95%

Total:211
RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

If the case is though that they're going have a home console with little/no third party support like the Wii U does, then I think long term they may as well just cut a deal with Sony.

- Agree to put specific "big" titles on Playstation home consoles. Sony agrees to waives licensing fees so Nintendo gets full profit. Nintendo can make their own Playstation controller on which they keep the profit.

- Sony in return agrees to support Nintendo portable consoles with software titles and encouraging third party partners.

Because what then really is the point of a Nintendo console if its just going to play Nintendo games? Nintendo receives no royalty fee revenue from developers so the console is basically just there for Nintendo games, might as well then just allow the games to be distributed for a wide audience so long as Sony doesn't charge them licensing fees.

There's no point in having a console that's only going to sell 10-15 million units.

This reminds me of a recent post of yours where you stated that the whole point of consoles is to collect royalty fees from third parties. You did some maths (something along the lines of 50 third party games selling an average of 700k units) and came up with the result of $280m per year. Do you know what else amounts to $280m? A Nintendo game that sells ~10m copies. Suddenly royalty fees don't look that awesome anymore, because Nintendo sells a lot more than 10m first party games per year.

IIRC a NeoGAF thread had cumulated data for the percentage of Nintendo's revenue that comes from third party royalty fees. It has been quite consistently between 5-7% throughout the years. This means it's more of a bonus rather than the main reason to make a console.

Your 10-15m consoles sold reasoning has no merit when Nintendo's future is going to be more like Super Smash Bros. 4, a game that is available on more than one system.

Train wreck said:

Isn't sucking up?  Is this 1992? It tells us that the NX is not on any western 3rd parties radar and why would it?  Nintendo can't even make money on two consoles they have a monopoly on these past four years.

If NX has no expensive hardware features that are rejected by the market, then Nintendo won't be in a situation where they have to sell hardware at a loss. That in turn is going to improve Nintendo's bottom line significantly over the Wii U/3DS era, even if overall hard- and software sales would be the same in both generations.

So what would stop a Nintendo 1st party game from selling 10 million on a different platform? *crickets*. You falsely frame this as an either/or when it's not.

Nintendo would still have portable hardware, they'd just move maybe the 6-7 console IP they have that really sell anything that noteworthy to a more mainstream platform rather than being stuck on a home console that doesn't sell much. For that I'm sure Sony would likely offer them a fairly nice sweetheart deal and Nintendo could insist on their support for their handheld as a bonus.

If 80% of your own buyers purhcase the handheld unit in a "unifed platform" rather than the home console, a home console that has little/no developer support then really are you even in competetion with something like a PS4/PS5? No, you are basically a handheld company, so I don't see the harm in that scenario in offering some IP to Playstation's massive audience if you can get a favorable deal in return.

Of course licensing fees are the main motivator to have a platform as well, why wouldn't EA just make their own console for example? Why pay someone else $8 of every game you make for no reason?

Receiving royalty fees from developers is what offsets the headaches and risks of making a platform (chipset investement, marketing, manufacturing, etc. etc.). That's the whole point of why Nintendo made the Famicom/NES with its licensing fee model for devs, which is the standard business model that exists to this day in the business.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

This reminds me of a recent post of yours where you stated that the whole point of consoles is to collect royalty fees from third parties. You did some maths (something along the lines of 50 third party games selling an average of 700k units) and came up with the result of $280m per year. Do you know what else amounts to $280m? A Nintendo game that sells ~10m copies. Suddenly royalty fees don't look that awesome anymore, because Nintendo sells a lot more than 10m first party games per year.

IIRC a NeoGAF thread had cumulated data for the percentage of Nintendo's revenue that comes from third party royalty fees. It has been quite consistently between 5-7% throughout the years. This means it's more of a bonus rather than the main reason to make a console.

Your 10-15m consoles sold reasoning has no merit when Nintendo's future is going to be more like Super Smash Bros. 4, a game that is available on more than one system.

Between 5-7% of their total revenue?  That's pretty sweet, actually.  Considering it's a stream with almost no overhead, that should translate to a much higher percentage of their total profit.

@trainwreck, you generalized, wii u isn't being sold at a loss since 2014, same for 3ds since 2012... 3D and tablet were very expensive.... 3DS because of the 3D was priced at 249$ in the beginning, what an ''attractive'' price for a handheld console, slow sales were expected, I can't fathom what Nintendo was thinking!
The urgent price drop of 80$ made 3ds to be sold at loss albeit sales skyrocketed, anyway this was reversed, 3ds xl with same manufacturing cost with 3ds, was priced at 199$ and sold very well...
Perhaps Nintendo shouldn't have slashed the price so much!
For the wii u, tI talked previously about its coslly tablet controller...

Nintendo has a long history of being profitable, just three years of losses in 128 years... And don't forget ds and especially wii! they profited so much on them so that they can afford NX to be a bust ( and even more flops), NX would lose 500m at most! No need to worry yet, or rather why worrying? As far as I know you're not a Nintendo fan/gamer or caring about Nintendo in general, for the indursty's sake or the fanbase! Am I wrong?

P.s Better be profitable with 20m sales instead of losing 3-5 billion with 80m sales...

Same as all multiplat devs... if there is money to be made they will try and get it... but we always have those conspiracy talks about people wanting to screw Nintendo on support just for the fun of it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Since NX will be dead on arrival, EA won't make a single game. I stopped buying EA games when they announced that they will no longer make Wii U games and I haven't bought a single EA game since then and won't buy any EA game in the future. For me EA is dead.

Around the Network
Gamemaster87 said:
Since NX will be dead on arrival, EA won't make a single game. I stopped buying EA games when they announced that they will no longer make Wii U games and I haven't bought a single EA game since then and won't buy any EA game in the future. For me EA is dead.

I am not a big fan of them either, I stopped buying their games long before they left WII U, but their games sell and they can push systems, the way I see it Nintendo has software gaps not only hardware or online technology

EA helped the X1 with titanfall when it cameout as an exclusive, these online shooters WII U lacked, and it was before Dysteny, Microsoft and Sony didn't achieve memberships and subscribtions out of the blue, Even if they where forced to sell their consoles with a loss they still got the XBox live & PSN money to back them up as they expand a market share

3RD parties can fill that gap, I do put Nintendo machine above the others and I buy most software on their platforms but they still need 3rd parties, they can't cover all areas alone

Maybe Nintendo should had put more effort into Left Field.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Darwinianevolution said:
JRPGfan said:

Thats just it.... why is it like this?

With sony, 3rd party dont go "we ll wait and see how things turn out".

They support the system from the start (which in turn helps the system sell).

3rd party dont treat nintendo the same way.

The problem with lack of support at release is a self fulfilling prophecy. People see there are no games, so interest for the device diminish. With less interest for the hardware, less interest for 3rd parties to bring their games to the console. And it becomes a cycle. This doesn't mean a strong support from the beginning can save a system, but it's annoying to see this kind of trend being ignored, specially by companies. Bring your games to test the waters or don't support at all, but don't say "we're waiting to see how the console performs".

Here's the simpliest solution that would make gamers and the game publishers/devs happy.

Nintendo could just pay for the ports of popular 3rd party games or games that might fit their platform until it's user base gets big enough or until 3rd party devs are comfortable with porting games on their own to NX.  It would show to everyone that Nintendo is willing to seriously invest in it's own hardware.

i can understand 3rd party devs and publishers reluctance with the NX. it's not a safe bet or investment. Nintendo home consoles are known for not selling that well. 

To be blunt if NX lacks 3rd party i'll get it when its at a pretty low price

Gamemaster87 said:

It's way too soon to assume that when we have no idea what the NX is yet.