By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA on NX support: "If it makes sense for us - we'll be there"

Your interpretation:

Strong NDA 29 13.74%

Unprecedent tired joke 59 27.96%

It's a big no 102 48.34%

Other... 21 9.95%

Total:211
pokoko said:
Aielyn said:
It was basically them wanting to be the ones running the online store, which was never going to happen.

As always, I call BS on that one unless someone supplies a souce beyond an anonymous redddit post.  That makes no sense whatsoever.

Can you offer an alternative reason for them having an "unprecedented partnership", only to begin sabotaging the few games they were making for the system before the system even released? It can't be how well the Wii U sold, because they sabotaged Mass Effect 3 prior to release by announcing Mass Effect Trilogy for the other systems before it released. They sabotaged Madden and Fifa by basing them on older engines, so that they were far inferior to the PS3/360 versions. And they sabotaged Need for Speed by delaying it (they could easily have provided a bit of extra funding to get it finished on time) and then announcing that they weren't going to support the Wii U any more before NfS even released.

So clearly *something* happened behind the scenes between Nintendo and EA, and I can see no other explanation.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
JRPGfan said:

Thats just it.... why is it like this?

With sony, 3rd party dont go "we ll wait and see how things turn out".

They support the system from the start (which in turn helps the system sell).

3rd party dont treat nintendo the same way.

Because the way Nintendo and Sony have historically treated third parties is like night and day.

Nintendo's history is well known.  There really is no reason to list everything from the past but, as an example, EA was once ready to go PC-only until Sega came along, simply because Nintendo was choking the life out of developers.  Yeah, that was a long time ago but some of that attitude still remains.

On the other hand, Sony and Microsoft treat third party developers and publishers like business partners.  They create an environment that is beneficial to them and they maintain constant communication.  It's not just about total installed base.  Sony and Microsoft have helped developers build consumer bases that follow their products and they've done it consistently over generations.  The problem for Nintendo is that they haven't done that so now third parties would have to start from scratch.  Is it worth it?  I'm willing to bet they've run a lot of projections and know far better than we would.

Imagine if console were malls and Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo were mall developers.

Nintendo builds a mall.  They tell retailers, "you can come rent a space now."  Most of the customers just come for the Nintendo brand store, though, and Nintendo doesn't give the retailers any more thought.

Sony and Microsoft don't just build a mall, though.  They talk to retailers about location, unit size, parking, lighting, and everything else first.  Then they build the mall.  After that, they run programs to pull in customers to the retailers, they help with the advertising, and they do their best to support the entire mall instead of just the Sony/Microsoft brand store.

Is that how Nintendo is going to be for the NX?  I don't know.  However, they would still have to fight all that history.  Nintendo would have to go above and beyond just to reach parity, if it's even possible at this point.  

You're over complicating this: its simple, Nintendo has a far stronger first party lineup than Sony or Microsoft. Sony fans for example tend to be loyally hardcore more for the companies hardware than software. I'm not even going to explain the gigantic missing front for Microsoft's first party games..... then you have Nintendo, with their Mario Kart, Smash, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.- the point is that that Nintendo, of the hardware manufacturers, by far has the most known and consumer powerful software

Of course its going to be more attractive for an EA or Activision to bring their titles to platforms in which their games are the stars, front and center. Since Nintendo releases so many of its own popular million selling exclusives, they slightly turn off third parties, because the software sales pool is already in a way taken

What comparable IPs are Sony or Micro releasing that distract system owners at the level that Mario Kart or Pokemon do Nintendo owners? Answer: almost none

Nintendo's software success in itself is what has damaged their ties with third parties.. their own IPs sell too well for an EA to feel comfortable investing a lot in releases (that and arguably demographic issues)

Nintendo fans at the start of a gen: '' I only buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games!''
Nintendo fans mid gen:'' Where the fuc* are third party games?''
Nintendo fans at the end of a gen:'' screw third parties, I'll only buy the next Nintendo console for Nintendo games!''

Don't forget game developers are not in the business to break even

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

We need as many publishers as possible on NX

They simply don't want to take the time to create something unique on another platform that won't receive that game well, and thus not create enough profit for the time and money it spent to create that software. It makes sense, and that's why Nintendo needs the NX to be something simple and unique to stay on par with current consoles

Around the Network
Peh said:
Means if enough consoles are sold, they'll try to release some games on it.

Well its more dependent on how EA titles sell there, userbase and software sales don't necessarily go hand in hand. I mean EA games were doing well on Xbox One when the userbase was a lot smaller.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

JRPGfan said:
pokoko said:
It all depends on Nintendo. The ball is in their court.

Thats just it.... why is it like this?

With sony, 3rd party dont go "we ll wait and see how things turn out".

They support the system from the start (which in turn helps the system sell).

3rd party dont treat nintendo the same way.

I used vgcharts numbers but...

Nintendo's average for home console sales is 46.81 mil. 

Sony's average for home console sales is 97.2 mil. I counted the PS4 at 40 mil btw.

Microsoft's average for home console sales is 43.7 mil. The xbox one is counted at what vgcharts has it at.

Sony is better at selling consoles and more importantly it tries to cultivate a lucrative relationship with devs/pubs with deals on ports/funding/marketing/exclusivity. MS pays for all the same stuff as sony does but mostly only with western devs/pubs. That's probably why xbox consoles don't really have any japanese game support.  It seems nintendo doesn't pay for anything to grease the wheels on getting ports from 3rd party especially with the west.  

If sony does all of this extra stuff to get exclusives, ports and extra content when their consoles sell better than their competition then what the hell is nintendo doing or rather not doing? And people wonder why nintendo consoles don't really get 3rd party support.

Demographics likely play a major part too. Lets be honest, Nintendo doesn't really appeal to the "jock audience". Generally speaking most third party major titles are either A) Violent action games or B) sports/driving simulator. Oh and then you have wacky Japanese action game with girl with giant tits that will have to be censored in the US market causing the 250 people who were planning to buy it to rage out.

But that's kind of a microcosm of the market. Truth be told even in the Super NES days, EA's sports games while they did sell well on the SNES (so did things like NBA Jam) still sold better on the Sega Genesis.

Nintendo isn't "cool" in that way, so they struggle with these types of third party games because they don't attract the audience that buys them.

N64 was probably the last Nintendo system that really had some foothold of appeal to this type of gamer, but this is now almost 20 years ago since GoldenEye (!) and since then Nintendo has probably regressed backwards as a brand to this audience. Gone are things like Perfect Dark, Eternal Darkness, NBA/MLB games, Star Wars games, etc. and as wonderful as Splatoon is, it's not exactly making up for that style of game.

*Maybe* as such Nintendo should perhaps offer to pay for the porting costs of EA titles for the first year or two. Even though EA is far from perfect being completely shut out of the NFL, FIFA, and Star Wars licenses are fairly damaging and plus it will likely cause other big Western developers to back off from providing major support as well. Though Nintendo won't do it, and the results will be somewhat predictable.

They better have an amaze-balls gimmick for the NX and it better be something Sony/MS cannot copy easily, because I gauruntee one of the things MS/Sony would do over about that last gen would be to copy the Wiimote much earlier.

Soundwave said:

Demographics likely play a major part too. Lets be honest, Nintendo doesn't really appeal to the "jock audience". Generally speaking most third party major titles are either A) Violent action games or B) sports/driving simulator. Oh and then you have wacky Japanese action game with girl with giant tits that will have to be censored in the US market causing the 250 people who were planning to buy it to rage out.

But that's kind of a microcosm of the market. Truth be told even in the Super NES days, EA's sports games while they did sell well on the SNES (so did things like NBA Jam) still sold better on the Sega Genesis.

Nintendo isn't "cool" in that way, so they struggle with these types of third party games because they don't attract the audience that buys them.

N64 was probably the last Nintendo system that really had some foothold of appeal to this type of gamer, but this is now almost 20 years ago since GoldenEye (!) and since then Nintendo has probably regressed backwards as a brand to this audience. Gone are things like Perfect Dark, Eternal Darkness, NBA/MLB games, Star Wars games, etc. and as wonderful as Splatoon is, it's not exactly making up for that style of game.

*Maybe* as such Nintendo should perhaps offer to pay for the porting costs of EA titles for the first year or two. Even though EA is far from perfect being completely shut out of the NFL, FIFA, and Star Wars licenses are fairly damaging and plus it will likely cause other big Western developers to back off from providing major support as well.

Nintendo really screwed up by not giving the Gamecube any real online capabilities.  They essentially abandoned the audience Rare and other western 3rd parties built on the N64 and just handed them over to Microsoft (and to a lesser extent, Sony) without a fight.

I also agree that Nintendo should chip in on some of the porting/publishing/advertising costs for some of the big western 3rd party titles until Nintendo can prove that there's a viable audience for their games on the NX or until Nintendo just gives up on western 3rd parties.  And I think that's going to be the biggest thing that Nintendo has to prove with the NX (if they want consistent support from western 3rd parties); that western 3rd party games can sell decently enough on it to make it worth their time because as far as I can remember, except for the N64, Nintendo's core fans have largely only cared about Nintendo games and Japanese 3rd party games.

Honestly, If  Nintendo is really serious about getting western 3rd parties back on board then they need to suck it up and try to create a couple of new, marquee 1st party franchises that can be used as entry titles for people to get warmed up to the types of games that western 3rd parties make.  Microsoft has them with franchises like Halo and Gears of War.  Sony has them with Naughty Dog games, Killzone and others.  What does Nintendo have?  Metroid (specifically the Prime series) -- a franchise that they're doing nothing substantial with.

chapset said:
Nintendo fans at the start of a gen: '' I only buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games!''
Nintendo fans mid gen:'' Where the fuc* are third party games?''
Nintendo fans at the end of a gen:'' screw third parties, I'll only buy the next Nintendo console for Nintendo games!''

Don't forget game developers are not in the business to break even

You forgot Nintendo fans end gen: "Where the fuc* are my Nintendo games?" I never really went through the second phase. I just wanted a Metroid....