By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can the PS4 keep its 50% Market Share even if the NX is included?

PS4 > XONE + Wii U + NX?

YEAH!!!!! PS4 Domination! 206 69.59%

NOPE! NX will do quite well! 90 30.41%

Total:296
javi741 said:
I find it amazing how people quickly forget how bad of a state Nintendo looked like in 2016 with the Wii U, many people today think the Switch was expected to succeed before launch. However, at the time that was clearly not the case, most people had the Switch only selling 20-40M in it's lifetime with some thinking it'll fail again like the Wii U. Whoever thought this system would sell 100M or even 70M were thought to be crazy or Nintendo fanboys at the time. This poll shows you how little faith there was at Nintendo at the time after the disaster of the Wii U.

Believe me, I haven't forgotten. That was such a dark time for Nintendo that I was thinking of quitting VGChartz just cos Nintendo discussion was almost entirely doom and gloom.

As has been said, it just goes to show how quickly and drastically things can change; Nintendo went from their lowest point since they joined the gaming industry to being on top of the world and breaking records left and right in just a few short years.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
javi741 said:
I find it amazing how people quickly forget how bad of a state Nintendo looked like in 2016 with the Wii U, many people today think the Switch was expected to succeed before launch. However, at the time that was clearly not the case, most people had the Switch only selling 20-40M in it's lifetime with some thinking it'll fail again like the Wii U. Whoever thought this system would sell 100M or even 70M were thought to be crazy or Nintendo fanboys at the time. This poll shows you how little faith there was at Nintendo at the time after the disaster of the Wii U.

Believe me, I haven't forgotten. That was such a dark time for Nintendo that I was thinking of quitting VGChartz just cos Nintendo discussion was almost entirely doom and gloom.

As has been said, it just goes to show how quickly and drastically things can change; Nintendo went from their lowest point since they joined the gaming industry to being on top of the world and breaking records left and right in just a few short years.

Yeah, Nintendo threads back in 2015-2016 (When I became active in VG Chartz) were pretty much like this. But the comeback after the Wii U was incredible.

After the storm, the Sun will shine again.

E3 2015 had me so low! Metroid Prime 4 was supposed to be unveiled back then :D

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: First Look! RetroTINK 2X Multiformat Preview - Bit-Sized, Episode 5

StuOhQ said:
E3 2015 had me so low! Metroid Prime 4 was supposed to be unveiled back then :D

It wasn't just you; shortly afterwards I stopped even going on gaming sites like VGChartz because it was all so depressing. It really felt like Nintendo were in an inescapable downward spiral of constant disappointment. I'm so glad those horrible days are over.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

With this week's numbers, PS4 is now below 50% market share vs just Xbone and Switch.

Around the Network

I don't think the NX will sell as much. A lot of the kids I work with all have said they can't be bothered if they're was a 4k Switch, especially the girls. Maybe that's just a thing in my place of work, but I wouldn't be surprised if the NX pulls a WiiU.

But I can very much see this coming gen being 40/30/30. Ps5 with 40 and the difference shared equally between the other two. I think they're is more reason for PS owners to buy a S series and a gamepass at the low cost than another overpriced Nintendo product that didn't release much software and had games that never dropped much in price.

Question is, will NX be seen as a next gen console or midgen upgrade and therefore add to switch sales.

Fei-Hung said:
I don't think the NX will sell as much. A lot of the kids I work with all have said they can't be bothered if they're was a 4k Switch, especially the girls. Maybe that's just a thing in my place of work, but I wouldn't be surprised if the NX pulls a WiiU.

But I can very much see this coming gen being 40/30/30. Ps5 with 40 and the difference shared equally between the other two. I think they're is more reason for PS owners to buy a S series and a gamepass at the low cost than another overpriced Nintendo product that didn't release much software and had games that never dropped much in price.

Question is, will NX be seen as a next gen console or midgen upgrade and therefore add to switch sales.

Uh, "NX" is the Switch. This is a topic started in 2016, asking whether PS4 would retain 50% marketshare or more compared top Switch, Wii U, and Xbox One combined.

javi741 said:

Then those people were basically ignoring the install base of the handhelds. There are more just handheld gamers alone on Nintendo devices, each generation, than that 20-40 million you mentioned. Anyone who thought the Switch would sell less than 60 million lifetime was silly lol. The device is a continuation of both their handheld and home console market and clearly appeals to both markets based on its sales.