By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can the PS4 keep its 50% Market Share even if the NX is included?

PS4 > XONE + Wii U + NX?

YEAH!!!!! PS4 Domination! 206 69.59%

NOPE! NX will do quite well! 90 30.41%

Total:296
fatslob-:O said:
LipeJJ said:
Can it? Yes. Will it? Only if the NX is a truly massive failure.

Let's say the Xbox One ends up this generation somewhere around 40-50m. The Wii U will be around 14m. That's already 54-64m; making the PS4 need to reach 108-128m to keep its 50% marketshare.

Now, let's say the NX turns out to be a bigger flop than the GameCube and sells only 20m. That would represent a toal of 74-84m; making the PS4 need to reach 148-168m.

You see, even if the NX flops, it will be very hard... unless you think the PS4 will surely outsell the PS2.

Umm, your numbers don't make much sense ... 

74-84m/148-168m =/= 50/50 

The PS4 would only just have to sell the as much or more than the X1, WII U, and NX combined so why would it have to double them combined ? 

Good call actually.

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:

Let's say the Xbox One ends up this generation somewhere around 40-50m. The Wii U will be around 14m. That's already 54-64m; making the PS4 need to reach 108-128m to keep its 50% marketshare.

Now, let's say the NX turns out to be a bigger flop than the GameCube and sells only 20m. That would represent a toal of 74-84m; making the PS4 need to reach 148-168m.

You see, even if the NX flops, it will be very hard... unless you think the PS4 will surely outsell the PS2.

Except percentages don't work like that at all. PS4 needs to sell as much as the other consoles combined to achieve 50%, so it would be easy enough. Besides, why are people including the Wii U? It's a different generation.

LipeJJ said:

You're right, this doesn't make any sense. I don't know, my bad..... always sucked at math.

I'm off to bed after this one, bye.

Now if only this thread got renamed to "Can the PS4 get a 66% Market Share even if the NX is included?" XD 

Risthel said:
LipeJJ said:

Except percentages don't work like that at all. PS4 needs to sell as much as the other consoles combined to achieve 50%, so it would be easy enough. Besides, why are people including the Wii U? It's a different generation.

Thank you!!! Once a console is succeeded, it is exempt. You don't see PS3/360 marketshare blended into PS4/Wii U/Xbox One marketshare.

If you tally up the total for everything that's not discontinued (wii u, xbox one, PS4, 3DS, PS vita) at the moment, the PS4's market share isn't 50%. The reason why I included everything because market share is divided by everything in production or by gen or by home console/handheld. NX is a 9th gen home console. It wouldn't share a part of the market share with 8th gen home consoles.

Around the Network

Lol. Weren't people saying NX as "next gen". So it's current gen? Even if NX released PS4 will wash it away. No chance.

Aeolus451 said:
If you tally up the total for everything that's not discontinued (wii u, xbox one, PS4, 3DS, PS vita) at the moment, the PS4's market share isn't 50%. The reason why I included everything because market share is divided by everything in production or by gen or by home console/handheld. NX is a 9th gen home console. It wouldn't share a part of the market share with 8th gen home consoles.

PS3 is not discontinued.

Easy, 'cause once NX will be out, WiiU will go down and down in the weekly, and PS4 will have a user base of 58-59M by that time. This Gen is just PS4 domination; but who cares, we have to enjoy the game experience, and NX will be another option, so everybody is happy.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Ofc.

The wiiu will stop selling once Nx come, and i really don't think it will be a success (it could even be worse than WiiU).

boypita said:
NX is going to surprise us all.

That´s all I´m going to say :)

But surprise in a good or a bad sense?