By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Civil War surpasses Batman V Superman (in EVERY category. War is over.)

How do you feel?

Get schwifty! 39 63.93%

Wubba lubba dub dub! 22 36.07%

Total:61
hershel_layton said:
AsGryffynn said:

It did for me... Don't know... Perhaps I am just getting old... 

Old? Nah, i don't know that many old people who are interested in female anime characters with basketball-sized breasts.

Relatively speaking... Either that or I am a hipster... 

deskpro2k3 said:

In my opinion, Civil War was a better movie. It has everything you need.

BvS just has lots of spectacles. It has no humor, and plenty of plotholes. WB gone and completely messed it up.

I guess that's the thing... I don't like the humor parts at all... 

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:

In my opinion, Civil War was a better movie. It has everything you need.

BvS just has lots of spectacles. It has no humor, and plenty of plotholes. WB gone and completely messed it up.

Pretty disappointing, considering how you could have EASILY made it an action-focused movie if you couldn't think of a good plot. then again, was it seriously that hard to make the movie have a good story?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

WB spent a fortune promoting this movie beyond the civl war and still was outdone in less territories.

Figured this would happen. After watching the BvS trailer, I had no interest in it. It just screams rush job to try to get to DC's own Avengers, when Marvel spent several movies building up to it. Didn't help that they crammed 3 graphic novels worth into one movie, as well as shat on one of the most iconic stories in DC's history, treating it with all the importance of a Bazooka gum comic and greatly cheapening its impact.

Civil War was just the better film. It did take a little while to hit its stride, but once it did, it was great. I just think Marvel treats its characters with respect, while lately, DC has treated them as quick cash ins.

AsGryffynn said:
Runa216 said:

and Batman v Superman did?  How is that a movie that ticks with anyone?  

Lol. It must be hard for you these days to say you liked BvS better than the CW. But here is the thing, you are not getting old, the good moments in BvS trumps those of CW. BvS bad moments were really bad though. 

It's like two pop singers releasing trashy songs, one top the charts and is endorsed by the hipsters and the other one isn't. Both are microwave popcorn in the end, one has a better synthetic flavour that's liked better by the masses.

One more thing, RT scores don't reflect the quality of the movie accurately. After all, you classify your review as "rotten" or "fresh", that's dumb and very black and white. CW isn't a 9 out of 10 movie but that's how RT scoring system works. 

I guess what I am trying to say, it's ok if you don't like Civil War, it's not the masterpiece RT score makes you believe it is. You are not getting old

Around the Network
AsGryffynn said:
Runa216 said:

and Batman v Superman did?  How is that a movie that ticks with anyone?  

Civil War was a more grounded movie than the other Marvel super group films. It had a deeper plot than Batman vs Superman and actually had a plot twist that was coherent with the overall progression of story. The movie managed to have more than one plot twist which really kept things interesting. Batman vs Superman had zero indication of true motivation for Lex Luthor and left you to connect the contextual dots yourself for the random events ( from different stories) which eventually build up to the battle between Batman and Superman. One thing I love about the Captain America movies opposed to the other Marvel movies is that the scripts since Winter Solider have been like a slightly lesser version of a bond flick in its writing when it comes intel, spy games and action. The last part with Stark was like Bond learning that Vesper was a double agent in relevance to the plot.

And....you're saying youre getting older? Its cool to say that you like Batman vs Superman more than Civil War but to say it was more adult oriented in level of causes me to beg to question this.

Batman vs Supermans plot was more forgivable by a child because the most coherent thing about the movie was the battles opposed to the intellect applied to the story progression.

To tell you the truth Captain America was felt more like Superman than Superman in Batman vs Superman. A symbol of hope, loyalty and truth in a world thats falling apart. His character development in Civil War was such that he seemed like a moral grey area until you actually understood his side of the story. Tony Stark was more of a boy scout this time around, but had his own reasons which were understandable as well. Superman in Batman vs Superman was a confiused soul that still didnt know who he was nor why hes in the predicament hes in even though hes the most powerful person on earth. Batman vs Superman proved he isnt the most powerful person on earth. In realistic circumstances he would fared better but meh...its in the past now.

BvS is a more uneven film, some times bordering on being laughably bad, but somehow it kinda ... works, lol. And when it does I found it better than Captain America.

Maybe I just like the characters of Superman and Batman more, they're just more mythic, the characters in the Marvel movies just feel like "dude in a suit".

Also while BvS may get blasted for shoe horning in characters, the way Spider-Man was shoved into Cap 3 was laughably stupid and such a blatant "lets stop this movie for 10 minutes so we can randomly set up the next Spider-Man movie".

Another weakness of Cap 3 is I feel like Captain America has zero character development. He's always right, or at least he always thinks he's right, which comes off as smug and asshole-ish in a way. I think it would have been better if he started the film leaning towards signing or being conflicted and then as the film goes on coming to the conclusion that he can't support what Tony is doing.

There aren't any real emotion stakes in Marvel movies either. They're enjoyable, but they're almost borderline comedies with all the little jokes, you don't ever really fear or feel anything for the characters other than "ha, this dude is cool and funny". There's no sense of danger. The end fight with Cap and Tony raised the temperature a bit at least.

Soundwave said:

BvS is a more uneven film, some times bordering on being laughably bad, but somehow it kinda ... works, lol. And when it does I found it better than Captain America.

Sums it up perfectly for me. Zack Snyder should take the themes he wanted to present to the audience and apply them to superheros of his own creation so that doesn't he feelt the need to meet people's expectations. Maybe then, we won't have to watch two characters fighting a completely avoidable fight just because it's in the title of the movie, and we also won't put up with needless scenes setting the stage for Justice league and whatnot.

Was there ever any doubt?