By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediciton: NX will be....

Do you agree with that concept?

1. 40 24.10%

2. 28 16.87%

3. 73 43.98%

4. 25 15.06%

Total:166

http://i.imgur.com/PM7Mlw6.jpg
http://www.pixelsprite.fr/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/mario-kart-8-wii-u.jpg

Mario Kart 8 looks flat, very lacking, Ratchet looks like a Pixar film.
1.84TFlops vs 350GFlops at work people.

Around the Network

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_ratchet_clank-28510-3254_0004.jpg

JustBeingReal said:

The difference is enormous, every aspect of the details is well beyond MK8, that screen shot proves that by itself, shows you really don't get this.

I just made a doodle and spammed the link on random twitch channels.

Feel free to share this link as well. See the results.

http://doodle.com/poll/876fmsmvie62xi3b#table

JustBeingReal said:

The chips are too big for a smartphone, tablets have a bigger form factor and we're not talking about anything on the level of performance the Razer 14 uses, it packs an I7 and a GTX 970m, that GPU beats out an R9 270x in tests, in a notebook, it's more powerful than the PS4 is.

So the handheld is bigger then an 5.5 inch iphone or galaxy ? Wow.

Also see this:

The ps4 runs witcher 3 on high settings in 30 fps.

PS: Your sources: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/nintendo-merge-handheld-console,news-19043.html

"Iwata cited the very different architectures of its previous hardware as the reason Nintendo is just now trying to unite its teams."

But just give me the name on any random device thats portable, has no fences, good battery life , costs less then 400$ and has ps4-like performance. At least is able to run witcher 3. Tell me the name and ill admit that you won. If you cant give me what i asked for, you lost.

Of if you say thats not possible yet because 14nm is just coming, give me atleast the name of a device that has half the power of the ps4 (by using 28nm or anything like that). That can atleast run gta 5, a 7th gen game.

hoala said:
JustBeingReal said:

The chips are too big for a smartphone, tablets have a bigger form factor and we're not talking about anything on the level of performance the Razer 14 uses, it packs an I7 and a GTX 970m, that GPU beats out an R9 270x in tests, in a notebook, it's more powerful than the PS4 is.

So the handheld is bigger then an 5.5 inch iphone or galaxy ? Wow.

Also see this:

The ps4 runs witcher 3 on high settings in 30 fps.

PS: Your sources: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/nintendo-merge-handheld-console,news-19043.html

"Iwata cited the very different architectures of its previous hardware as the reason Nintendo is just now trying to unite its teams."

But just give me the name on any random device thats portable, has no fences, good battery life , costs less then 400$ and has ps4-like performance. At least is able to run witcher 3. Tell me the name and ill admit that you won. If you cant give me what i asked for, you lost.

Of if you say thats not possible yet because 14nm is just coming, give me atleast the name of a device that has half the power of the ps4 (by using 28nm or anything like that). That can atleast run gta 5, a 7th gen game.

WTF? You asked why the Razer 14 costs what it does, I told you, it's got an Intel i7 mobile processor (which are notoriously expensive), along with an nvidia GTX 970m, again a very expensive mobile GPU, from NVidia.

Razer also aren't gaining revenue streams from software, they're selling this device at a big profit. While Nintendo may make a profit on each NX device at launch, they're aiming to make most of their money from video games software and DLC or maybe Amiibo's.

FYI your link to Iwata's comment doesn't prove a Wii U level handheld and marginally more powerful set-top box are what Nintendo have planned with NX, actually those comments point to Nintendo just merging their game development, having  shake up internally to make the process of development more efficient.

FYI point 2, I've actually been saying that NX would likely have more than one device and that games would run on them all or at the very least all games would run on the most powerful device, in a similar way to how Apple device can all run the same Apps, Iwata's comment about that is well known to anyone that reads Nintendo news.

As I keep saying 14nm isn't out yet, just look up the capabilities of Polaris, a 40 watt GPU could produce 2.6TFlops of compute performance, since it's AMD tech it's directly comparable to PS4 or XB1 for graphical calculation metrics.

Half that puts a mobile chip, running on 20 watts producing XB1 level graphics.

An AMD Puma CPU, with 8 cores, clocked at 1.6GHz only requires 20 watts, that's a 28nm chip, scale that down to a 14nm fabrication node and you have a 10 watt CPU capable of running at the same level of performance on the CPU side as PS4. So a 30 watt SOC can easily run a GPU up to par with XB1 and a 1.6GHz CPU on the same level as PS4, if you wanted a PS4 level GPU you'd need about 40% more energy, so a 38 watt SOC can handle that.

RAM isn't particularly energy hungry, basically a notebook level power battery could easily run a handheld with the extra demands of screen, RAM, plus the SOC and either an internal HDD or SD Card reader for games, along with wifi direct or just general wifi needs and bluetooth tech.

Nintendo would likely go on the lower end of that, so more around XB1 performance for a handheld, because it would be less energy hungry.

Any console could easily pack in 2X the performance of PS4 for for way less energy than it uses, using Polaris Architecture for the GPU and Zen for CPU.

Zen is a new CPU architecture, much fresher than Puma so performance per watt is going to be much better than just a straight up die shrink from 28nm to 14nm.

As far as cost goes well AMD are targeting a release price of under $349 for their own launch Polaris Graphics Card, with specs of an R9 290, which has a 40CU GPU. Chips alone would account for 1/3rd of that total price, so a 40CU die costs AMD only $116, cut that in half and a 20CU die using Polaris only costs them just over $58.

PS4 and XB1 level tech is cheap to make now and these new 14nm wafers offer loads of chips per wafer, which means prices are very low, probably the reason why Nintendo didn't release this year, because they want that 14nm tech, it offers performance, energy efficiency and great value.

The rest of the tech required to make a handheld or a console box isn't expensive, hell this is why Sony could release a PS4 with 2X the launch horsepower for under $400, that's a 36CU unit, with everything needed for a console to run.

Now provide me a link to any source that actually hints at Nintendo going with Wii U level hardware in NX, otherwise admit that this whole idea of yours is just your own invention.

PS. Your Witcher 3 video doesn't prove a thing, for one thing Nintendo could be running games at 720p in the handheld, which would require 2.25X less power, because running 1080p is 2.25X more demanding than 720p.

I've given plenty of examples, but I'll point out that Carrizo, well I'll just leave this here:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Carrizo-Mainstream-APUs-Overview.144035.0.html

It's 28nm, has 4 Excavator CPU cores, 8 compute units and it can run as low 15 watts, to produce some pretty decent performance, the CPU can ramp up to 3.4Ghz, GPU clocks in at 800mhz, for a chip that scales up to about 35 watts. That was released last year, it's hardly expensive either.

The CPU likely destroys what's in PS4 and XB1. If Nintendo were using something like this they could have easily released way before Fall 2016, they could have even released before Fall 2015 if they didn't want something way more efficient or powerful than this.

What exactly is the point in making a platform with Wii U levels of power again? Being cheap just cheapens Nintendo's already damaged brand.

How is this idea of yours doing anything fresh in the gaming space?

Around the Network

It will most likely be more powerful than the ps4, the thing that would work is implement 3D into gaming which would be amazing.

JustBeingReal said:

Now provide me a link to any source that actually hints at Nintendo going with Wii U level hardware in NX, otherwise admit that this whole idea of yours is just your own invention.

JustBeingReal said:

FYI your link to Iwata's comment doesn't prove a Wii U level handheld and marginally more powerful set-top box are what Nintendo have planned with NX, actually those comments point to Nintendo just merging their game development, having  shake up internally to make the process of development more efficient.

you should read the title and first 2 sentences in op again i guess

What about you giving me any source about nintendo saying they will improve power with the nx? And a real statement from nintendo, no rumours, leaks and co like those two controller pictures some weeks ago. Because every rumour is telling something different (xbox one power level, ps4 power level, between xbox one and ps4, better then ps4). So all bullshit.

Here is a rumour/leak/speculation about its power:

"According to Forbes, the more likely release date for the Nintendo NX would be 2017.

Nintendo loyalists are hoping that the Nintendo NX packs power that could make it on par, and even surpass, the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. However, that is also unlikely, as Nintendo is not showing any desire or even capability to do such a feat. Setting the Nintendo NX on equal footing with the power of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One could help, but only for a few years until the next generation of consoles by Sony and Microsoft are set for release."

source: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/66299/20150706/nintendo-nx-will-not-be-as-powerful-as-the-ps4-and-why-you-should-not-believe-july-2016-launch-rumors.htm

Even at 40 wattage you need probl a fence (even intels 14 wattage ULV Cpus need a fence) and a pretty big, powerfull and expensive battery. And it will be to exepnsive. Nintendo wont do that. I sitll want the name of the device thats capable of running games like gta 5 on something like 1080p30fps mid settings without a fence. Thanks. Even without 14nm and newest generations something like this should easily be possible right now, if you want NX being able to play games like witcher 3, final fantasy 15 and co later.

JustBeingReal said:

PS. Your Witcher 3 video doesn't prove a thing, for one thing Nintendo could be running games at 720p in the handheld, which would require 2.25X less power, because running 1080p is 2.25X more demanding than 720p.

Your technical knowledge is impressive.

hoala said:
potato_hamster said:

Uhh... Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind featuring similar open world gameplay came out on the original Xbox. The only reason that wasn't available on the PS2 was because it was a paid exclusive.

1. Why can't a custom PowerPC based chip be put into a handheld? You're acting like ARM processors are magic. As for 2 screens, the DS says hello.

2.  Why wasn't the Wii U what you think the NX should be to begin with? People don't just buy new consoles for fun. I'm sure Nintendo would have been much happier milking the 100+ Wii owners than putting out the Wii U if power wasn't that big of a factor.

So your argument is that in order to sell a lot of consoles, you need to have a less powerful and cheaper console? The PS4 says hello. Not only is it the most powerful, but it's also the most expensive, but still outselling the cheaper and less powerful X1 almost 2 to 1 worldwide.

Also why on earth do you think people would buy a console that is less powerful than it's predecessor?

"Hey look at Mario Kart 9! See how it looks noticably worse than Mario Kart 7, even though it runs on much newer hardware."

I'm sure that would go over like a lead zeppelin.

Morrowind was 1 game. The xbox was way stronger then the original ps2. Games like the last of us wouldnt work either, scince you couldnt display all the emotions and co. 

PowerPCchips need fences. Thats why. They need more energy and produce more heat.Intel just manages to make x86 chips that arnt complete garbage (atom) and wont need a fence (intel core M). And those chips are expensive AF and still not much more powerfull then something like the a9x.

Because in 2012 mobile arm chips wernt as capable.

Mario kart 9 wouldnt look inferior ti mario kart 7. It would look similar (little better, litter worse) then mario kart 8.

I never said the exact game could be made on the PS2, but you could get a game with the last of us-like gameplay on the PS2. I specifically mentioned gameplay, not realism like facial expressions.

Current PowerPC chips require fences? What are you talking about? The only fences I've heard of when discussing processors are memory fences and those aren't physical things, those are processor instructions. I can't find anything about physical processor fences, much less any that make processor design require more power. So are you using some slang term I've never heard before?  Please cite specifically what you're talking about. Wikipedia is fine.

Because if the only thing stopping someone from creating a "fenceless PowerPC" is that no one has botherer to make one, then your reasoning is horse shit. It's been over a decade since the Wii came out. If Nintendo required a "fenceless powerPC" to make the design work they had plenty of time to contract out the development of one to those who know what they're doing.

Why does it matter if ARM processors weren't as capable in 2012?. Your argument continues to be that processing power is more or less irrelevant, so why weren't 2012 ARM processors good enough?

Also, my apologies mixing up Mario Kart 7 and 8. The difference however is irrelevant. Who is going to buy a new console and a new game for more or less the exact same experience - even down to the graphics that they can get now on the Wii U? Where is the incentive to upgrade over the Wii U if the NX doesn't offer any better experience over the Wii U in any way besides more games?

interesting. i used to think like that just when they first talked about NX.
but now i can only presume it would fail. but in every other logic scenario it would fail.
Unless nintendo bring somethink no one though before, and surprise everyone.

I like this theory. I hope it will be much more powerful than the Wii U, though.