By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediciton: NX will be....

Do you agree with that concept?

1. 40 24.10%

2. 28 16.87%

3. 73 43.98%

4. 25 15.06%

Total:166
hoala said:

we dont even know if square knew what NX is then saying they would port it.

Games like DQ11 could also run on wii u. Hell even 3ds can play wii u games (hyrule warriors), so a wii u like console could easily play ps4 games. 

It takes an incredibly naive amount of faith to believe that a multimillion dollar publisher would anounce a game for a platform they know nothing about when they ignored the previous iteration of that platform.

It doesn't matter if it could run on Wii U. They don't want to put in the time and money to do it. NX is obviously giving them reason to. That reason it parity.

Obviously.

Around the Network
spemanig said:

It takes an incredibly naive amount of faith to believe that a multimillion dollar publisher would anounce a game for a platform they know nothing about when they ignored the previous iteration of that platform.

It doesn't matter if it could run on Wii U. They don't want to put in the time and money to do it. NX is obviously giving them reason to. That reason it parity.

Obviously.

Thats not obviously. I really doubt that nintendo gave Square already DETAILED information about the NX when the DQ11 on nx release was "announced".

Nintendo is keeping NX a BIG SECRET. 

Also DQ11 doesnt even really look demanding on ps4. Doesnt look better as what we saw so far from zelda wii u. Could easily be ported to a device with similar as wii u´s level.

Square released DQ X on wii u btw.

Im pretty sure square heard about NX the same moment nintendo revealed that information last year. DQ11 was probl planned to may release on wii u or skip the system because of low sales (its doing as good as the ps4 in japan so very likely it was planned on wii u).

With NX announcement Square just moved the game from Wii U to NX without evening knowing what NX it but speculating its a new home console / successor of the wii u.

very, very possible.

hoala said:
Darwinianevolution said:

If they want to get 3rd parties back they have to do two things: make a console powerful enough to bring their games without needing major downgrades, and an architecture easy to develop for. 

They already did exactly that with the wii u.

Stronger then Ps3/xbox 360, nontheless multiplattform games like Dark souls, GTA, COD, Fifa, Assassins Creed, Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock and co skipped the system. Many games skipped the system even before it was known as a failure.

And as far is I heard the powerpc based wii u is similar to the xbox360 and porting from x360 isnt at least nearly as difficult as to port from x360 to ps3. And the ps3 sold 80mio anyways.

The definitely did not do this on the Wii U. It was way more difficult to develop for than the PS3/PS4/X360/X1. The developer tools alone are severely lacking in comparison. it definitely wasn't easier to port an X360 game to Wii U than it was to port it to PS3. Not even close.

zorg1000 said:
hoala said:

I think they did that because of the great success of the wii. That console sold 100mio so it was worth the risk (if wii u would be as successfull they could made alot money on it).

I doubt a Nintendo console, thats a successor of an 13mio sold units machine that already prooved them nintendo fans dont buy their games on nintendo hardware will make them releasing their IPs again on a nintendo console BEFORE it prooved to be successfull.

Sure if the NX will sell 15mio + units first year AND is capable for playing ps4 games they will start porting their games. The third party support for the wii also started AFTER the wii already was a success (Call of Duty 4 and co skipped the system first, got released later).

But i doubt a ps4 like machine made by nintendo without third party support in the beginning will be able to even get successfull, though.

So its pretty much a "doom loop".

Only chance for nintendo is to NOT rely on third party support and that failed with the wii u. If they make a wii u like device thats also portable, gets double the amount of nintendo games AND is just half priece of the wii u = success is likely. And then they even might get some third party games like fifa. 

they did it because all major consoles get decent support at launch because those publishers dont want to miss out in case the device is a success.

its not just a successor to a 13 million selling console, its also a successor to a 58 million handheld if its a unified platform, so its a successor to devices with a 70+ million install base.

but i agree that Nintendo cant rely on 3rd party mainstream western support and shouldnt bend over backwards for them.

Just curious, if the NX comes out and actually isn't a unified platform,. and is a Wii U replacement only, how long will you spend apolizing on this site?

potato_hamster said:

The definitely did not do this on the Wii U. It was way more difficult to develop for than the PS3/PS4/X360/X1. The developer tools alone are severely lacking in comparison. it definitely wasn't easier to port an X360 game to Wii U than it was to port it to PS3. Not even close.

"In the case of porting, Ubisoft EMEA MD Alain Corre says that doing so is quite easily. Ultimately though, Corre feels that unique experiences tailor-made for the GamePad will provide the most interesting experiences."

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/ubisoft-easy-to-port-to-wii-u-unique-gamepad-experiences-will-be-most-interesting/

"https://twitter.com/ShawnLong85/%22">@ShawnLong85 I am not a programmer, but from what I gather the Wii U is not more difficult to develop for than other platforms.

— Jools Watsham (@JoolsWatsham) https://twitter.com/JoolsWatsham/statuses/422072634830880768/%22">January 11, 2014"

Source: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/harder-develop-games-wii-u-case-says-renegade-kid/

"Ubisoft has today revealed that development costs for the Wii U simply are not as expensive as once believed. CEO Yves Guillemot has gone on record to say that his company "doesn't have a huge investment" in the next-gen console, despite a strong showing at this year's E3"

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-23-ubisoft-says-wii-u-ports-costing-under-USD1-3-million

"Developer explains what it’s like developing for each console: PS3 being the hardest

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/developer-explains-what-its-like-developing-for-each-console-ps3-being-the-hardest#FIS5yzbHvs0y26oa.99"

Source: http://gamingbolt.com/developer-explains-what-its-like-developing-for-each-console-ps3-being-the-hardest

Bayonetta was ported from x360 to ps3 and later to wii u. Here are the results:

Yeah sure bro. Tell me more.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:

Just curious, if the NX comes out and actually isn't a unified platform,. and is a Wii U replacement only, how long will you spend apolizing on this site?

Thats very very unlikely. The handheld so far is nintendo biggest market and they really need to replace it at latest by 2017 (3ds released in 2011). 

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

they did it because all major consoles get decent support at launch because those publishers dont want to miss out in case the device is a success.

its not just a successor to a 13 million selling console, its also a successor to a 58 million handheld if its a unified platform, so its a successor to devices with a 70+ million install base.

but i agree that Nintendo cant rely on 3rd party mainstream western support and shouldnt bend over backwards for them.

What do you mean? I dont know what apolizing is.

The OP is talking about a hypothetical unified platform, what else am I supposed to discuss in a thread about a unified platform? Also take note of the word IF in my last post.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

hoala said:
potato_hamster said:

"In the case of porting, Ubisoft EMEA MD Alain Corre says that doing so is quite easily. Ultimately though, Corre feels that unique experiences tailor-made for the GamePad will provide the most interesting experiences."

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/ubisoft-easy-to-port-to-wii-u-unique-gamepad-experiences-will-be-most-interesting/

"https://twitter.com/ShawnLong85/%22">@ShawnLong85 I am not a programmer, but from what I gather the Wii U is not more difficult to develop for than other platforms.

— Jools Watsham (@JoolsWatsham) https://twitter.com/JoolsWatsham/statuses/422072634830880768/%22">January 11, 2014"

Source: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/harder-develop-games-wii-u-case-says-renegade-kid/

"Ubisoft has today revealed that development costs for the Wii U simply are not as expensive as once believed. CEO Yves Guillemot has gone on record to say that his company "doesn't have a huge investment" in the next-gen console, despite a strong showing at this year's E3"

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-23-ubisoft-says-wii-u-ports-costing-under-USD1-3-million

"Developer explains what it’s like developing for each console: PS3 being the hardest

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/developer-explains-what-its-like-developing-for-each-console-ps3-being-the-hardest#FIS5yzbHvs0y26oa.99"

Source: http://gamingbolt.com/developer-explains-what-its-like-developing-for-each-console-ps3-being-the-hardest

Bayonetta was ported from x360 to ps3 and later to wii u. Here are the results:

Yeah sure bro. Tell me more.

I'm just going off of my own personal experiences developing for these platforms.  Developing for the Wii U gamepad itself is a huge pain in the ass that adds another level of complexity to making a game on that platform, and that has nothing to do with how easy it is to recompile your X360 build to run on a Wii U. In both the Wii U and Vita games I made my primary work was on controller touch-screen, platform specific features, so that probably skews my experience developing for those platforms slightly. But it was definitely a huge pain in the ass compared to just making multi platform PS3/PS4/X360/X1 games.

This is hardly something that is marketable.
The set-top boxes like Amazon's Fire TV aren't gaming centered devices, they just add some gaming features to a device that was designed to either bring smart TV functionality or stream TV Shows and Movies digitally through the internet, so it's fine for them to be that weak.
I doubt Nintendo would want to be one among many of those kinds of devices and get lost in the crowd of an even busier space than the dedicated console market.
Nintendo would be better off becoming a 3rd party publisher than doing the set-top box, tablet with some gaming functionality type of thing.

For Nintendo they're making a dedicated gaming platform with NX, so the core features need to be gaming focused, not an afterthought.

Most likely NX is at it's core an OS that can run Nintendo's future games on a multitude of devices Nintendo wants to release them on. Iwata's own comments likening NX to how Apple and Android Apps can run on multiple types of devices eludes to this likely being the case.

We haven't had any rumors pointing to NX being a marginal step up from Wii U in performance or sitting around that level of power, we have however had comments from fairly reliable sources like Emily Rogers or Nerdleaks hinting at it being pretty good compared to PS4 or beyond that,.
We've even had leaks stating that it's 2X PS4, around PS4K and potentially features some kind of supplementary cloud processing system (this was shown in Nintendo's own filed patents).

There's also been a patent showing a handheld, with tech closest to XB1 in performance that can stream gameplay to your TV through a HDMI dongle (that kind of a thing would negate the need for a Vita TV style box).
It's possible that Nintendo are just going to market NX as an OS, that they can run on a bunch of different devices and that's why we're not hearing about a single console or one specific set of specs.
The fact that sites like Wall Street Journal said Nintendo were sending out "software dev kits" could indicate that NX is meant to be a flexible product that isn't limited to one form factor of device.

Now the whole supplementary cloud computing thing could mean that if you own more than one NX device, they can share the processing load and being in close proximity, using something like a Wifi-Direct they can talk to each other with significantly lower latency than having to access servers miles to hundreds of miles away (which is a big issue with cloud processing like Azure or PS Now).
That could easily boost the processing capabilities available to each user, since some people do like to buy more than one unit and if Handheld and consoles could work together to run a game then that would make for a better experience for the end user(s).

This could mean if you buy a tablet it doesn't leech power from the main console, but rather it handles what it needs to from the core game and the overall experience is better if more than one person is playing local multiplayer.

When gaming is your core focus it makes no sense to release a new platform that is barely any more powerful than the current failed one, especially when you can't possibly have a feature that can make it blow up in sales like Wii did.
An OS style approach puts the games at the forefront, it makes your platform flexible and the possibility of locally sharing processing load in a pier to pier cloud network potentially makes for a very powerful, evolving product that could be very attractive to gamers.

Vita and Vita TV didn't sell well, in the same way that Wii U didn't sell well, why would combining that kind of a thing make for a highly marketable and beast of a sales opportunity for Nintendo?

Also your reasoning behind Nintendo going with Arm doesn't make much sense either, X86 CPUs can be very low on energy demand now, especially with the advent of 14nm Zen tech from AMD or Intel's own processing tech.
Polaris is also very low on power consumption.

I don't think we've had a single reliable source hinting at what the OP suggests, it just doesn't really make a lot of sense to be true, much like the idea that NX is a PS Now style game streaming service.
It's not really attractive to a big audience, latency prevents it from working well, reliability of broadband isn't there to really make sense as this being the main feature of the system.
The core idea in this thread doesn't make sense at all, sorry OP.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

What do you mean? I dont know what apolizing is.

The OP is talking about a hypothetical unified platform, what else am I supposed to discuss in a thread about a unified platform? Also take note of the word IF in my last post.

I apologize. I totally read your comment wrong.