By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediciton: NX will be....

Do you agree with that concept?

1. 40 24.10%

2. 28 16.87%

3. 73 43.98%

4. 25 15.06%

Total:166

3. I dont agree.

"NX will be released as different 2 consoles that work like Playstation Vita and Vita TV."

^ makes sense.

"The performance will be similar to the performance of the wii u. Could be a little bit more or less powerfull."

^ does not make sense.

PS4 is like 5-10? times the power of a wii u or something silly like that.
The homeconsole NX needs to be more powerfull than a Wii U, if its going to get any 3rd party support.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

If Nintendo goes that route, then they would chose to give up most 3rd party support. Only the Japanese 3rd developers might put big titles on it since we would be talkin about a handheld of sorts.

It's a risky move. There can be no software drought then. None what so ever.

^ this.

It can work if they decide they wont even try to get any 3rd party onboard.

Then the 200$  PS TV / Vita like idea can work.

And it ll probably work better than the Wii U + 3DS does currently (Im talking about 2016 sales rates for both).

However Mobile phones are a ever growing threat for handheld consoles.

With a homeconsole that weak, you might risk "gamers" skipping it, and just simply playing smart phone games all together instead.

Around the Network
hoala said:
Miyamotoo said:

NX will definitely be much more powerful than Wii U and it will not have 200€ price.

People don't realise that Wii U for Nintendo was 720p console and with NX they will go on 1080p/60fps for their games. They also want 3rd party, that means at least similar power of XB1/PS4 in order to get ports of those games.

Nice Insider infos?

Or do you can atleast explain WHY you do think that? Because i gave tons of reasons thats not really likely to happen. But im free to get some arguments to disproove me. Or is it just your dream?

Because I also think releasing a ps4 competitor midgen will be even a bigger failure then wii u.

Because Wii U was 720p console and now standard is 1080p, there is no point to release two 720p consoles especially because some Wii U games already were 1080p. It's clearl that Wii U was 720p console and with NX will go for 1080p.

My dream!? That is very realistic expectation not dream.

NX and Wii U are very different, Wii U had similar PS3/Xbox360 power and was released at end of life of those consoles and right before PS4/XB1 that were much powerful, NX will be released in middle of PS4/XB1 life cycle. That means lotsa life and suport will be left for those consoles and that means lotsa posible ports for NX. Wii U showed Nintendo they can't support platform itself, so they will try much harder to have much better support than Wii U, and you cant expect good 3rd party support with underpowered console.

Also similar power to PS4 doesnt mean that NX can't have new concept or "gimmick" and competitive price in same time.

hoala said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Neither Bethesda nor T2 ever had a really good relation with Nintendo, the 7th gen suffered an important shift and western games became the more popular titles on the market. A port of the PS2 GTAs would have sold really well, but they didn't bring it. We seem to agree that the problem here lies on the trust/confidence of 3rd parties on Nintendo, but Nintendo wants to solve that, they have to start making their consoles powerful enough to not make 3rd parties go through a lot of difficulties to develop for them.

Thats what they did with the wii u.

It not only power is what will get 3rd party on board, only one year after Wii U arrived XB1/PS4 were released and most developers abandoned PS3/Xbox360/Wii U and start developing games for much stronger hardware, also Wii U didn't support Unreal Engine, Unity support was received when was already too late, Nintendo relationship with 3rd party wasnt good at all, Wii U had terrible sales after launch and in that time game like GTA and Crysis 3 were canceled, actually all 3rd party abandon Wii U in 1st year because terrible sales of platform and arrival of PS4/XB1.

JRPGfan said:

3. I dont agree.

"NX will be released as different 2 consoles that work like Playstation Vita and Vita TV."

^ makes sense.

"The performance will be similar to the performance of the wii u. Could be a little bit more or less powerfull."

^ does not make sense.

The homeconsole NX needs to be more powerfull than a Wii U, if its going to get any 3rd party support.

^ this.

And it ll probably work better than the Wii U + 3DS does currently (Im talking about 2016 sales rates for both).

With a homeconsole that weak, you might risk "gamers" skipping it, and just simply playing smart phone games all together instead.

If both uses the same hardware (because both want to run same games) they cant make the home console version much more powerfull then the handheld (because most likely they have to stick to ARM-Chips or something linke Intels Atoms).

Otherwhise the handheld could play many games the home console gets which would be silly. As far as I know its not possible to release a handheld with ps4 power at an reasonalbe priece right now. And even if you do it, it would need fences and a BIIIIG battery (like portable gaming laptops). There is a reason that this super slim gaming ultrabooks (like razer blade 14 - 2000$+ priecetag) are THAT expensive, and thats just about the same power as ps4.

I dont think nintendo wants to get full third party support. Games like witcher, gta, elder scrolls and co wont be available on NX.

Maybe the will get fifa and other games, that will also still be released for 7th gen though.

Did you looked at my photos? Sure the ps4 is like 5-10 times stronger, but does it really look 5-10 times better? especially in regrads of cartoony games.

I doubt that games like mario kart would look significant better on the ps4 then on wii u.

Miyamotoo said:
hoala said:

Nice Insider infos?

Or do you can atleast explain WHY you do think that? Because i gave tons of reasons thats not really likely to happen. But im free to get some arguments to disproove me. Or is it just your dream?

Because I also think releasing a ps4 competitor midgen will be even a bigger failure then wii u.

Because Wii U was 720p console and now standard is 1080p, there is no point to release two 720p consoles especially because some Wii U games already were 1080p. It's clearl that Wii U was 720p console and with NX will go for 1080p.

NX and Wii U are very different, Wii U had similar PS3/Xbox360 power and was released at end of life of those consoles and right before PS4/XB1 that were much powerful, NX will be released in middle of PS4/XB1 life cycle. That means lotsa life and suport will be left for those consoles and that means lotsa posible ports for NX. Wii U showed Nintendo they can't support platform itself, so they will try much harder to have much better support than Wii U, and you cant expect good 3rd party support with underpowered console.

Also similar power to PS4 doesnt mean that NX can't have new concept or "gimmick" and competitive price in same time.

Like i said, 720p on handheld component and 1080p on home console component (so something like a 50% boost there scince you wont need to worry about battery issues) seems reasonable to me.

Could very likely run games on graphics quality of mario kart 8 on 720p on handheld an 1080p on home console. I doubt it will do more. 

They wii u even didnt got 80% of the multiplats the 7th gen got. So power was not the issue, wii u was stronger then ps3/x360. Where was battlefield 4/hardline, fifa 14,15,16, Call of duty advanced warfare, Metal gear solid 5, dark souls 2, Bioshick infinite, assassins creed rogue, gta 5, shadow of mordor, destiny, godzilla, plants vs zombies, thief, wolfenstein, dragon age inquisition, far cry 4, Need for speed rivals, crysis 3 ?

All released on x360/ps3 aftr wii u launch without wii u version.

Miyamotoo said:

It not only power is what will get 3rd party on board, only one year after Wii U arrived XB1/PS4 were released and most developers abandoned PS3/Xbox360/Wii U and start developing games for much stronger hardware, also Wii U didn't support Unreal Engine, Unity support was received when was already too late, Nintendo relationship with 3rd party wasnt good at all, Wii U had terrible sales after launch and in that time game like GTA and Crysis 3 were canceled, actually all 3rd party abandon Wii U in 1st year because terrible sales of platform and arrival of PS4/XB1.

Games like bioshck infinite and dark souls 2 were released shortly after wii u launch. Nonetheless, even without the failure no support.

And that was the case with the Wii sales in nintendos back. It was very likely that the wii u could sell very well, like the wii, again. But games like bioshock or dark souls didnt got released on that system anyways. They didnt even developed it, even if release just some month after wii u launch.

Most third partys publisher wont bother to port their games to the successor of a 13 mio sold units system. The risk is just to high. They didnt even ported their games to a successor of an 100mio units sold system.

im 99% sure nintendo is not looking for third partys for NX. They did it with wii u and it failed. Wont do same mistakes twice.

Around the Network

I ignored this thread initially due to the redundant thread creator + topic, but... this is actually a pretty valid concept here, well done!

I had said long ago that Nintendo has two options with the next generation, which is either competing directly against Sony/Microsoft with a powerful expensive console while money hatting third partys and releasing more mature n diverse games of their own, or they accept their niche status and adjust themselves to be able to survive off selling low numbers, so cheap hardware that's cheap to make games for, while hoping for another Wii-like miracle every few gens.

The main question is whether or not Nintendo believes third partys are a lost cause, and based on all their collaborations this gen I'd say they think Japanese third partys atleast are salvageable. That's not to say they'll go all out hardware-wise, just XBO level atleast, which in 2017 they should be able to sell for $250-$300. I say $300 but I'll bet you Nintendo is gonna avoid the Wii U's price point like the plague even if it means something weird like $279.99.

JRPGfan said:

3. I dont agree.

^ makes sense.

^ does not make sense.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

If Nintendo goes that route, then they would chose to give up most 3rd party support. Only the Japanese 3rd developers might put big titles on it since we would be talkin about a handheld of sorts.

It's a risky move. There can be no software drought then. None what so ever.

^ this.

You keep saying such devices won't get 3rd party support but you seem to be forgetting the support 3DS gets.

When combined 3DS+Wii U get a pretty solid amount of Japanese support, indie support & kid/family friendly western support.

Then consider that 3DS didnt support Unity & Wii U didnt support Unreal 4, if NX supports both of those than its possible that it gets more support than 3DS+Wii U.

One last thing to consider is that Wii U had OK support from the big western publishers initially, EA/Ubisoft/Activision/Warner all gave it a few core IP in the first year, they will likely support NX initially.

With a unified setup, it is likely that NX will have 100% support from Nintendo, solid Japanese, indie, family-friendly support and OK western support. That would give NX a constant stream of new releases.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Prediciton: NX will be....A flop.

Nintendo have had their day. What are they going to churn out? More Mario? Ohh yeah another Mario lets add that to the 100th basically the same game again, another Zelda? Zelda is dead the last good Zelda was A link to the past 20 odd years ago.

Third party? I can get them on my PS4. Nintendo need to go third party, get mario etc on the PS4 etc then they would make big money.

hoala said:
Miyamotoo said:

Like i said, 720p on handheld component and 1080p on home console component (so something like a 50% boost there scince you wont need to worry about battery issues) seems reasonable to me.

Could very likely run games on graphics quality of mario kart 8 on 720p on handheld an 1080p on home console. I doubt it will do more. 

They wii u even didnt got 80% of the multiplats the 7th gen got. So power was not the issue, wii u was stronger then ps3/x360. Where was battlefield 4/hardline, fifa 14,15,16, Call of duty advanced warfare, Metal gear solid 5, dark souls 2, Bioshick infinite, assassins creed rogue, gta 5, shadow of mordor, destiny, godzilla, plants vs zombies, thief, wolfenstein, dragon age inquisition, far cry 4, Need for speed rivals, crysis 3 ?

All released on x360/ps3 aftr wii u launch without wii u version.

Miyamotoo said:

Games like bioshck infinite and dark souls 2 were released shortly after wii u launch. Nonetheless, even without the failure no support.

And that was the case with the Wii sales in nintendos back. It was very likely that the wii u could sell very well, like the wii, again. But games like bioshock or dark souls didnt got released on that system anyways. They didnt even developed it, even if release just some month after wii u launch.

Most third partys publisher wont bother to port their games to the successor of a 13 mio sold units system. The risk is just to high. They didnt even ported their games to a successor of an 100mio units sold system.

im 99% sure nintendo is not looking for third partys for NX. They did it with wii u and it failed. Wont do same mistakes twice.

All point that hardware that is getting released in March is some kind of home console not handheld only device, Wii U is basically dead and Nintendo dont have any games while they said they will keep supporting 3DS.

Wii U had solid 3rd party in first year, Fifa, Madden, NBA, Batman, Assassins Creed, Need For Speed, NHL, Mass Effect, Call Of Duty, Dark Siders II...but almost all 3rd party abandon Wii U in first year because terrible Wii U sales and when PS4/XB1 arrived. So yes, power was part of problem because some developers didnt to make practical identical games for PS4 and XB1 and bother with much weaker hardware like Xbox360/PS3/WiiU.

No one said NX will get whole 3rd party support, point is to have much stronger 3rd party support than Wii U had. So Nintendo needs to make platform that will be much appealing for 3rd party, among other things that means platform that has similar architecture and power to XB1/PS4 and that means easy and fast ports of XB1/PS4 games.

Sales of Wii U doesn't mean anything, because if NX actually sales, its easy and fast to make ports for NX, and Nintendo make NX platform appealing in some other ways you can bet NX will have much better 3rd party than Wii U had.

You are totally wrong, I am 100% confident that Nintendo will do all it can that platform has very strong 3rd party support, Wii U proved them that they can't have successful platform without 3rd party, especially this gen when 3rd parties games are more stronger than ever before. Yes they tried with Wii U and they failed, Wii U is Nintendo platform with worst 3rd party support ever, with NX they try much harder to have them.

zorg1000 said:

One last thing to consider is that Wii U had OK support from the big western publishers initially, EA/Ubisoft/Activision/Warner all gave it a few core IP in the first year, they will likely support NX initially.

I think they did that because of the great success of the wii. That console sold 100mio so it was worth the risk (if wii u would be as successfull they could made alot money on it).

I doubt a Nintendo console, thats a successor of an 13mio sold units machine that already prooved them nintendo fans dont buy their games on nintendo hardware will make them releasing their IPs again on a nintendo console BEFORE it prooved to be successfull.

Sure if the NX will sell 15mio + units first year AND is capable for playing ps4 games they will start porting their games. The third party support for the wii also started AFTER the wii already was a success (Call of Duty 4 and co skipped the system first, got released later).

But i doubt a ps4 like machine made by nintendo without third party support in the beginning will be able to even get successfull, though.

So its pretty much a "doom loop".

Only chance for nintendo is to NOT rely on third party support and that failed with the wii u. If they make a wii u like device thats also portable, gets double the amount of nintendo games AND is just half priece of the wii u = success is likely. And then they even might get some third party games like fifa.