By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediciton: NX will be....

Do you agree with that concept?

1. 40 24.10%

2. 28 16.87%

3. 73 43.98%

4. 25 15.06%

Total:166

It will be a 19,995 EURO family Super Computer bundled with TWO controllers!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

$269.99 launch price is my guess (with game and possibly an Amiibo included). Before anyone bitches, that's significantly cheaper than a Wii U at launch, and waaaaaaaay cheaper than a Wii U + 3DS (which is still $500 right now if you want the standard 3DS XL model). Even the Wii + DS were $400 (not counting inflation).

So $269.99 is cheap.

Einsam_Delphin said:
hadoram said:
clever guy

Is that guy you? You joined this site well over a month since the last post in this thread so that begs the question of how you knew about it.

its not, multiple accounts are forbidden.

that was very accurate. No 100% on spot but still very good

JustBeingReal said:

hoala said:

Sure, a PC compared to a console will always be more expensive. But the prices are still set in relation. You cant sell a 1000 dollar system for 500 bucks without taking a loss. Thats just not possible. You can for sure be 200-300€ cheaper at most.

Prices are entirely different, so no there's no comparison, this is a fact of console economics.

Your price comparisons are a read herring, because I never said anything about Nintendo using tech that could cost that. FYI a PC with that end price will have prices marked up not only on the GPU, but also on the CPU, memory, motherboard, HDD, OS costs will be split across all potential buyers, as a result actually yes you can make a system comparable to that $1000 system for likely under $500, when you take all factors into consideration.

Remember though that like I said the console market is designed to make money on games and DLC, maybe peripherals, making this point of yours moot. You can definitely have a unit more than $300 cheaper than a PC, but with comparable specs, it's just a fact of the console business.

Again: just the statement NX will move away from wii/wii u doesnt mean it will be powerfull.  Move away from wii/wii u by using an ARM chip is WAAAAY more likely.

Wii and Wii U were designed around factors that made them inherently weak, because they had motion gaming and the tablet as their core selling points, not hardware performance, NX is going to be the opposite of this approach. Arm just puts NX in the same low power  point and has no market that it can be sold to in the console space.

NX probl wont get many third party titles. Even the wii u didnt got MANY thrid party titles in its first year, it got  just like 50% (in terms of aa/aaa games).

Wii U lost 3rd party support because of when it launched, the low power tech, alien architecture and platform performance balance. Nintendo's approach wasn't conducive to getting 3rd party interested. If NX is going to be the opposite of Wii and Wii U, then it's going to be designed to appeal to the market that can actually cause Nintendo to have business growth, not the opposite of that.

Many third partys dont consider nintendo as an good partner. Mario and Assassins Creed dont work togehter, they learned that from the wii u.

Because of Nintendo's past approach and lack of consideration in hardware design, continuing this line of thinking is why Wii U has sold so badly, a different approach will change that. Wii U had the wrong system architecture, was built on tech that was already unattractive to PS3 and 360 owners, provided nothing new for them. The system was also outshone by the reveal of other 8th gen consoles, thus it was sent out to die, without a chance of putting up a fight.

The NX will offer something new to ps3/x360 and wii u owners. Beeing able to play new games on the same quality on the go and for an really cheap priece. Many people arnt that much into performance, its alot more about the image and the games. The ps4 was the first console in a looong time that was the best selling AND strongest. All prev. generations weaker hardware outsold expensive hardware.

This isn't enough, it doesn't give these gamers anything new from a gameplay perspective, people are definitely into better performance, 60 million 8th PS4 and Xbox One owners in 2 and a half years proves this and the fact that those sales are on the increase shows that the market is now interested more in moving to the current gen.

The fact PS4 has sold as well as it has shows that people want good value, with performance, which is exactly what the market for future console sales is about, not the same old level of tech at a cheaper price, it brings nothing to the table as far as the actual gameplay experience.

Even WITH ps4 and xbox one announcement the ps3 and xbox 360 outsold the wii u in its first year. Third partys still developed games for the 7th gen 2 years after ps4/xbox one releases. 

You're just supporting my points here. Nintendo didn't build Wii U to make porting games easy from PS3 and 360, the generation was already nearly over and Nintendo didn't make a platform for the next one, they just did what suits them, something that wasn't condusive to actually enticing 3rd party gamers to a new platform and certainly not a system that can get it's share of the market going forward. Too little too late, but we're not at that point in the life of PS4 and XB1 yet, there's still a huge 150 million plus people up grabs that were dedicated console owners last gen, plus a new generation of players, who will choose Sony or Microsoft if they don't have an alternative, NX has to be that alternative, it can't be something that only offers the market a level of tech and games that have been around for nearly a decade.

Cheap hardware is nintendos only chance. They failed to often with trying to compete in terms of power with the competition. If NX is just a more capable Ps4 which plays nintendo games and will get some third party titles. it will be Gamecube2.0.

It's not, tbh you're not really grasphing how the market works and certainly not what the markets are.

You've ignored where I said I don't think NX is just a more capable PS4, I said it's an OS, that can flexibly run games on a variety of different devices, all that can play games on the level of current consoles, but also be upgraded with new hardware iterations as the tech becomes affordable.

Processing tech close to PS4 and XB1 is cheap now, it's way more efficient in the 14nm node and if people can have that level of an experience, with the flexibility to choose what level of device they want to game on then it's possible Nintendo could actually move tonnes of hardware going forward.

Merging of handheld and console game development to put those games on every Nintendo device plugs their holes in game releases, getting 3rd party because you have comparable architecture and you also make your new IPs that entice 3rd party gamers to your new system brings you back to competition status.

This is Nintendo's only chance, not doing what didn't work on Wii U and just repackaging it with a new box and brand.

What I'm talking about would actually reinvigorate Nintendo's brand image to a level that it hasn't had since the SNES.

So as we know talked about the "fence => ventilator" thing, how do you thinka  fen will work in an handheld? The only x86 chips for far that dont need an ventilator are the Atom chips and intel core M´s. Atoms are weaker then modern ARM chips and intel core M´s arnt much more powerfull either but extreme expensive.

It's a matter of the devices case size, not the chips specifically, I've talked about heat output before and meeting power needs.

Polaris can easily offer sufficient performance, in a very low level of power consumption. Hell Wii U's gamepad is bigger than the console, yet the console can handle 33 watts of power consumption, which is a lower level of energy consumpion than notebooks require and I've already dealt with the issues of how much power a cheap battery can supply.

Even a 10 watt Polaris GPU produces 655GFlops, Excavator CPU Cores are very low on power consumption, at 28nm, a full Carrizo APU, with 8 CUs (800Gflops), 4 CPU cores can vary clock speeds and only use about 15 watts for the whole SOC, for a whole 14nm package, using AMD Zen CPU cores in 2017 they can probably ramp GPU performance and curb stomp Excavator's CPU performance.

Fences as you call them are much higher than you think. Passive cooling solutions have been improved and chips use very little energy to produce great processing performance.

Nintendo has access to technology that would let them more than double the performance of Wii U, in a cheap handheld, with at least half the power of XB1 for under $200, it's a fact, just look into AMD's Zen CPU tech, or their past Excavator based APUs, cost of Polaris GPU tech it all also adds up to the very reasons why Nintendo aren't releasing until March of 2017, because APUs using Zen aren't coming until around that time.

There's no Arm based products releasing around that time that can do this.

Arm doesn't make any sense for a console, consoles are still a part of Nintendo's plans, since that's the market they have to provide for.

See reply in bold above.

You're thinking in a way too limited way here, low performance in a handheld and a console/set top box doesn't make any sense, because there's no no that will be enticed to buy it when they already have devices that are more capable than that.

The OS based approach, good value technology, with comparable performance to the current market and with a flexible approach that allows Nintendo to update, without shaking up their own business, because it's built in to the platform model from day one, it adds value to Nintendo's brand, let's them out the games as the core focus and rights the issues that they've been having since the N64.

This theory is one that makes logical sense for the market as a whole.

So I was right. What a surprise.

Around the Network

that was almost on point

that was on point.

congratz