By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediciton: NX will be....

Do you agree with that concept?

1. 40 24.10%

2. 28 16.87%

3. 73 43.98%

4. 25 15.06%

Total:166
hoala said:
JustBeingReal said:

Now provide me a link to any source that actually hints at Nintendo going with Wii U level hardware in NX, otherwise admit that this whole idea of yours is just your own invention.

JustBeingReal said:

FYI your link to Iwata's comment doesn't prove a Wii U level handheld and marginally more powerful set-top box are what Nintendo have planned with NX, actually those comments point to Nintendo just merging their game development, having  shake up internally to make the process of development more efficient.

you should read the title and first 2 sentences in op again i guess

What about you giving me any source about nintendo saying they will improve power with the nx? And a real statement from nintendo, no rumours, leaks and co like those two controller pictures some weeks ago. Because every rumour is telling something different (xbox one power level, ps4 power level, between xbox one and ps4, better then ps4). So all bullshit.

Here is a rumour/leak/speculation about its power:

"According to Forbes, the more likely release date for the Nintendo NX would be 2017.

Nintendo loyalists are hoping that the Nintendo NX packs power that could make it on par, and even surpass, the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. However, that is also unlikely, as Nintendo is not showing any desire or even capability to do such a feat. Setting the Nintendo NX on equal footing with the power of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One could help, but only for a few years until the next generation of consoles by Sony and Microsoft are set for release."

source: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/66299/20150706/nintendo-nx-will-not-be-as-powerful-as-the-ps4-and-why-you-should-not-believe-july-2016-launch-rumors.htm

Even at 40 wattage you need probl a fence (even intels 14 wattage ULV Cpus need a fence) and a pretty big, powerfull and expensive battery. And it will be to exepnsive. Nintendo wont do that. I sitll want the name of the device thats capable of running games like gta 5 on something like 1080p30fps mid settings without a fence. Thanks. Even without 14nm and newest generations something like this should easily be possible right now, if you want NX being able to play games like witcher 3, final fantasy 15 and co later.

JustBeingReal said:

PS. Your Witcher 3 video doesn't prove a thing, for one thing Nintendo could be running games at 720p in the handheld, which would require 2.25X less power, because running 1080p is 2.25X more demanding than 720p.

Your technical knowledge is impressive.

Your OP is basically saying "I can make any arbitrary prediction I like, without any basis to support it", that's not how a logical, evidentiary supported debate works. These kinds of predictions about future generations from console/handheld hardware creators should always be based on reality, otherwise you could just say I'll give NX a quantum computer and release at $100, it's great because that's what I want, so I win the argument.

FYI Kimishima has outright stated that NX will not be another Wii or Wii U, both are the only lower power systems for their respective times, that's enough of a factual statement from Nintendo to support that NX isn't going to have hardware that is only marginally better than Wii U.

Wii is anomoly, it's the only Nintendo console to ever be only a marginal step up from it's predecessor, the rest have been significantly more powerful, even if NX isn't a beast by modern standards, we have only a single generation as an example of Nintendo doing what you're suggesting from a hardware performance perspective. We should be looking at the overwhelming examples of past generational shifts for Nintendo, not the odd one out.

As for your comments about cost, I already gave an example of a 28nm processor that could run games at half the resolution of PS4, but still output close to the same base visuals as that system. Carrizo came out in 2015, it would be cheap for Nintendo now. Since NX is coming in 2017 the 14nm tech makes more sense and as I said it's not expensive, not going by AMD's own cost targets for release of Polaris, I doubt Zen will be costly either, since as far as I'm aware (and anyone feel free to link me if it's been stated to be otherwise) Zen uses the same 14nm process, but I'll change my tune about APU prices if Zen turns out be much more expensive to make.

By fences I assume you mean boundaries for heat in a small device (that's the only real issue here), to that I say that notebooks are already using this kind of power, in small enclosures and there aren't any issues. As for the cost of battery tech, it's cheap, hell you can buy a battery pack that offers better energy storage than even the highest end gaming laptops need for like £29.99 or less.

20,000 mah battery packs (that's over 3X what a gaming laptop uses for it's battery), that can recharge iPAD Airs multiple times over are light weight, weigh no more than Wii U's gamepad, that's with a case, so it would take all but the screen, motherboard, RAM chips and SOC into consideration.

These batteries are made to make their creators money, so profits are a part of that price, no way would it cost Nintendo or anyone else anything close to that price.

If people are fine carrying around iPads and gaming on them, Nintendo would be fine releasing similar weight devices for their needs.

Going back to Kimishima's comment above his statement could be taken to mean NX will not only be a capable device by modern graphical and gameplay standards, but also targeted towards getting a bigger audience interested (which makes sense from a business perspective), which means getting 3rd party developers back on board, which is not happening if Nintendo makes this weak level of hardware you suggest, to only satisfy their own concerns as content creators.

Saying that Nintendo should stay with Wii U level hardware, because that allows them to continue making this limited level of games is ludicrous, it makes no sense, it doesn't get anyone interested in making games for a Nintendo system again and literally the only people that would continue to make games for Nintendo would be those developers that only work for Nintendo. It would stifle their creative vision, because their canvas is way more limited than it needs to be.

Nintendo making a cheap console and handheld, for the sake of being cheap is an asinine reason to do so, you make a new platform because you want to do what couldn't be done before in your games and appeal to a bigger audience than your last product. Kimishima's own comments are outright stating that this is not going to be another Wii or Wii U.

Seriously look back at my initial post in this thread, it's way more fitting with Iwata's original comments and it literally makes the most sense for Nintendo going forward. Kimishima has even said that this is a long term strategy, using Wii U 2 and Wii U handheld doesn't do that.

Around the Network

FYI that doodle thing isn't to be trusted, I can make as many poll votes as I like, change existing ones anyone has done, so you could have picked all of the choices you wanted to make the vote sway your way.

potato_hamster said:

I never said the exact game could be made on the PS2, but you could get a game with the last of us-like gameplay on the PS2. I specifically mentioned gameplay, not realism like facial expressions.

TLOU, a extremly story driven game with its main aspects is the relation between 2 persons couldnt be done on ps2 without all the emotions and co. THAT was part of the gameplay.

potato_hamster said:

Current PowerPC chips require fences? What are you talking about? The only fences I've heard of when discussing processors are memory fences and those aren't physical things, those are processor instructions. I can't find anything about physical processor fences, much less any that make processor design require more power. So are you using some slang term I've never heard before?  Please cite specifically what you're talking about. Wikipedia is fine. 

I dont need a proove or source because you have no technical knowledge.

PowerPC is in many aspects very similar to x86 in terms of heat production. Intel needed years to get to their current Intel Core M´s. That was a big hassle and the chipset was delayed multiple times with alot problems in production and development.

PowerPC chips arnt mass market anymore scince apple switched to x86 back in 2006. x86 and arm chips both evolved over the past years, PowerPC wasnt touched much in terms of consumer based products. Catching up with PowerPC to modern x86/arm cpu just for one single console isnt profitable. The x86 evolving was possible because there is a big market for those chips , so there is money coming from multiple sources.

There is no fenceless PowerPC yet on the market and the technology powerpc general is outdated. To revive it and bring it to modern standarts to at least create something like and intel core m is ridiculous, especially if you can just use cheap and already developed arm chips.

potato_hamster said:

Why does it matter if ARM processors weren't as capable in 2012?. Your argument continues to be that processing power is more or less irrelevant, so why weren't 2012 ARM processors good enough?

Why dont you just read the OP? Its explained there...

Because in 2012 the difference between a nintendo home console using a ARM chip and sony/microsofts consoles would be like tis:

And in 2017 the difference will just be this:

JustBeingReal said:

Your OP is basically saying "I can make any arbitrary prediction I like, without any basis to support it", that's not how a logical, evidentiary supported debate works. 

Thats why i even explained WHY I think its possible/likely. Just read the OP.

JustBeingReal said:
FYI that doodle thing isn't to be trusted, I can make as many poll votes as I like, change existing ones anyone has done, so you could have picked all of the choices you wanted to make the vote sway your way.

Really? Ok didnt know that. Feel free to make your own poll and see the results. Hell just show your friends that comparison pictures and ask them what looks better, as best friends that arnt that much gaming related and wotn be biased.

But also nice to see that YOU just changed the poll to "proove" your favour. Why not just accept that for the majortiy of people both look the same? Why do you need to manipulate that poll? Seems you arnt really feel confident about your opinion.

BTW i didnt made the poll here on forums because obviously this would just make sony fans voting for ratchet and nintendo fans voting for mario kart and wouldnt show anything. Thats why i spammed the poll in random minecraft videos on twitch.

Who knows what Nintendo could do, they could do something crazy, but I predict ...

NX is a mobile console (a new concept), a little bit like a mini-laptop but a bit thicker.

Uses a 14nm custom FinFET AMD GPU similar to a Polaris 11 GPU. Has some architectural similarities to the Wii U, so ports from Wii U to NX are relatively easy. Ports from PS4/PC are also easy.

Has 2 TFLOP power (games run at 720p-1080p) when plugged into the wall (16 compute units), will downscale to 1 TFLOP (8 compute units) for "portable mode" (games run at 540-720p). Developers have to ensure their games run on both of these modes. Can stream to local TVs, tablets, phones, and PCs.

A Supplemental Compute Device (SCD) will be available later which doubles to GPU power to 4 TFLOP (32 compute units total), this is entirely optional however. As such, system will never be outdated, because Nintendo can release new SCDs to keep pace with whatever Sony/MS do. System is designed to have a library that continues on for a long time (like STEAM ecosystem).

Has a new type of "Morphing" Controller, a free form LCD display with swappable transparent plastic face plates that allow for different types of physical controls. Ships with a traditional controller style face plate but also a new type of non-traditional wacky/crazy style face plate.

Will ship with a free Amiibo + Amiibo starter game, $299.99-$349.99 MSRP, March 2017 release date, Legend of Zelda day 1, Pikmin 4 not long after.

Around the Network
hoala said:
potato_hamster said:

I never said the exact game could be made on the PS2, but you could get a game with the last of us-like gameplay on the PS2. I specifically mentioned gameplay, not realism like facial expressions.

TLOU, a extremly story driven game with its main aspects is the relation between 2 persons couldnt be done on ps2 without all the emotions and co. THAT was part of the gameplay.

potato_hamster said:

Current PowerPC chips require fences? What are you talking about? The only fences I've heard of when discussing processors are memory fences and those aren't physical things, those are processor instructions. I can't find anything about physical processor fences, much less any that make processor design require more power. So are you using some slang term I've never heard before?  Please cite specifically what you're talking about. Wikipedia is fine. 

I dont need a proove or source because you have no technical knowledge.

PowerPC is in many aspects very similar to x86 in terms of heat production. Intel needed years to get to their current Intel Core M´s. That was a big hassle and the chipset was delayed multiple times with alot problems in production and development.

PowerPC chips arnt mass market anymore scince apple switched to x86 back in 2006. x86 and arm chips both evolved over the past years, PowerPC wasnt touched much in terms of consumer based products. Catching up with PowerPC to modern x86/arm cpu just for one single console isnt profitable. The x86 evolving was possible because there is a big market for those chips , so there is money coming from multiple sources.

There is no fenceless PowerPC yet on the market and the technology powerpc general is outdated. To revive it and bring it to modern standarts to at least create something like and intel core m is ridiculous, especially if you can just use cheap and already developed arm chips.

potato_hamster said:

Why does it matter if ARM processors weren't as capable in 2012?. Your argument continues to be that processing power is more or less irrelevant, so why weren't 2012 ARM processors good enough?

Why dont you just read the OP? Its explained there...

Because in 2012 the difference between a nintendo home console using a ARM chip and sony/microsofts consoles would be like tis:

And in 2017 the difference will just be this:

I have a Computer Engineering degree, and I make console video games for a living. Try me on the technical knowledge side.

So your argument when it all boils down to it is.... They haven't made a Power PC procecessor that, ( what I assume is -  because apparently I'm not worthy of questioning your terminology - doesn't require a heat sink) they can't make one. This means that your entire argument is complete horsecrap. While it would undoubtedly have been a more expensive endeavour to contract a CPU manufacturer to develop a completely new CPU to meet Nintendo's specs rather than get that manufacturer to modify an existing product in development, it absolutely could have been done.

And then you use an example where the difference in 2017 is noticably larger than the differences in 2012. The fact of the matter is, that stage in Mario Kart 8 isn't actually that different besides the fact that they changed the color palate to a more realistic one.

Is this a joke?

potato_hamster said:

And then you use an example where the difference in 2017 is noticably larger than the differences in 2012. The fact of the matter is, that stage in Mario Kart 8 isn't actually that different besides the fact that they changed the color palate to a more realistic one.

Is this a joke?

obviously a joke.

To this day, I wonder how any sane person could think that a console/handheld with the same games would work as a legitimate strategy. Why even buy the 2 when you could buy the cheaper option?

MohammadBadir said:
To this day, I wonder how any sane person could think that a console/handheld with the same games would work as a legitimate strategy. Why even buy the 2 when you could buy the cheaper option?

I think their whole mindset is that Nintendo would forgo the opportunity to sell two copies of a game and instead sell one copy that is playable on both systems.

MohammadBadir said:

Because Nintendo will be able to make a lot more games, or who says they can't make more the same number of games.

NX could have Mario Kart 9 and 10 ... you just wouldn't have a userbase split, where one of the game's is locked off from 3/4 of your user base like Mario Kart 8 is.

Or you could have say Super Mario 3D World followed by Super Mario Galaxy 3 instead of 3D Land and 3D World. I'd rather have that than two somewhat redundant games.

Unified platform doesn't mean fewer games or even fewer franchise oppurtunities, all it means is Nintendo can ensure all their top IP sell to ALL their audience base.

Right now, 3/4 Nintendo hardware buyers can't play Splatoon. Why? Because 3/4 Nintendo buyers this generation don't even have a Wii U to begin with.

The non-unified platform approach is not as great as traditionalists make it out to be. It's expensive ($500 for a Wii U + 3DS XL still), resource consuming (Nintendo has to make multiple versions of basically the same franchise), and forces large portions of the Nintendo buying audience to miss out on many games.