By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the NX outsell the WiiU?

RolStoppable said:
Chrizum said:
How many Nintendo fans are there left anyway? I think the few who remained are really bummed out by the Wii U. NX must have really good third party software next to the Nintendo titles or else it's exit Nintendo. I hope they make it, but, I sincerely doubt it.

Where should really good third party software come from?

I have no idea, that's why doubt it'll happen.

Nintendo needs a hattrick of some sorts. And, maybe, cooperate with third party developers for a change. Nintendo isolate themselves too much when it comes to the development of a new system. Developers have certain capabilities and accompanying specs in mind. It's important to create a relationship where parties value each others opinion.

In this day and age it's unwise to be as stubborn as Nintendo has been since, well, forever. If they fall (not saying they will), it'd by their own doing.

Around the Network

Nintendo went from 20 to 100 million between GameCube and Wii, so it is possible to see jumps that high, possibly higher. A 5X jump to NX would mean about 70 million. It'll be interesting if NX can beat the Cube to Wii improvement.

Strong software is key. Wii had: Zelda, Wii Sports, Super Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3 in its year 1, and that was alongside a bunch of other games. Immediately Wii's year 1 was Nintendo's strongest year of releases ever. Nintendo needs a  repeat of Wii year 1 for NX.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

There are so many variables that make it difficult to predict although I do think the recent news that it will miss Christmas and move to March 2017 for its launch is very negative. Personally I find March I'm still paying off Christmas and for purchases in the January sales and have a huge glut of games to play that I have received at Christmas. I also find March a busy working time historically where I'm building up holiday for the summer and have little leisure time. Parents buy consoles for children at Christmas not March so many people interested won't be able to get one through lack of money. The end result could be a weak March launch rather than a stellar Christmas launch and this does huge damage.

If the NX launches underpowered compared to Playstation Neo at similar or higher cost I think it could achieve less sales than wii u.

Soundwave said:
If we remove the temporary Wii craze which brought in an influx of casuals that have since left ...

NES - 62 million
SNES - 49 million
N64 -33 million
GameCube - 22 million
Wii U - 14 million

This is actually a fairly consistent and frightening drop. There's only so many Nintendo faithful left.

Nice to see that. Not sure what Nintendo can do to turn things around at this point. Sony and xbox seem to be the go to for adults I think Nintendo has categorized themselves to much as the kids system and I don't think they can change that. 

How successful it is depends on what games Nintendo has to offer gamers on the NX. More kid games or something that appeals to the majority of gamers.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Nintendo went from 20 to 100 million between GameCube and Wii, so it is possible to see jumps that high, possibly higher. A 5X jump to NX would mean about 70 million. It'll be interesting if NX can beat the Cube to Wii improvement.

Strong software is key. Wii had: Zelda, Wii Sports, Super Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3 in its year 1, and that was alongside a bunch of other games. Immediately Wii's year 1 was Nintendo's strongest year of releases ever. Nintendo needs a  repeat of Wii year 1 for NX.

That isn't really what drove Wii sales though. 

GameCube arguably had an equal/better 1st year of Nintendo franchise software vs. the Wii (not counting the Wii casual fare):

Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, Eternal Darkness, Wave Race: Blue Storm, NBA Courtside 2002

vs.

Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: TP (GCN port), Super Paper Mario, Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, Fire Emblem, Excite Truck, Mario Party, Mario Strikers, Battallion Wars Wii

It's a wash at best, yet Wii had much higher sales.

I think NX must have some really appreciable new element about it. It doesn't have to be some casual chasing gimmick but it needs to be something that clearly differeniates it next to a PS4/XB1/Wii U. But unlike the Wii, they can't gimp the chipset, it needs to be powerful otherwise developers will not support it, it should be at minimum equal to the PS4 and upgradable perhaps to PS4.5 levels.

yes. Kimishima is aware of the need for consistent software outpout, which is why he is releasing it in March. It will have a better name, recognition, and power relative to the Wii U. It will do much better. It's the 1st console in a very long time for which I am hyped. Cannot wait to see more.

Hi

I really hope so. Nintendo´s most loyal fans would undoubtedly buy it, but many of them are definitely hurt by the Wii U situation.

Yes? Well, it would be hard not to.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

It will outsell the X1...so yes it will outsell the WiiU by default.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261