By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the outrage towards PS4K proof that console gamers care more about performance and visuals than they're willing to admit?

GoOnKid said:
Ruler said:
The fact that they want to release this stronger PS4 despite all the backlash and being number 1 in sales shows more than enough why Sony is best console manufactor.

Ideals > Money
They truly want to make PlayStation the best Place to Play

So Nintendo would be No. 1 because they hate money.

They were with the Wii U

Around the Network
Anfebious said:
HoloDust said:

As someone who's been gaming on PCs since early 90s and bought first one in '95:

I think there's quite a big difference between this concept of consoles and PCs - with PC, you're at the mercy of developers supporting your outdated hardware; with upgradeable/Mark II console concept, platform holder is guaranteeing you that your Mark I console will be supported and have all games working until next full  gen.

This is not even like upgrades of the past, where you had exclusive games for expansion (upgrade) - all games will work, if there was no PS4K, those would be only version of games on PS platform anyway, but since there's PS4K there is just another version with a bit better visuals - and that's about it.

We don't know yet if it's just a PS4 with 4K capabilites (I seriously doubt it's just that, it sounds stupid), so there could be more stuff. So we don't know yet if it's just "better visuals".

Either way I don't like it.

So.. A PS4 slim without a performance boost is stupid and a PS4 slim with a performance boost is evil.

You can finally put your worries to rest. PS4 slim clearly won't be stealing any attention from the NX. Sony loses either way :D

Hurry make a new thread about NX. It's been over 4 minutes since the last!

Outrage?

I think the current level is absolutely fine for another 5 years and I think it should stay that way until next gen. That way we can be blown away all over again with the ps5.

ZahaDoom said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

While I see where you are coming from at the CURRENT moment your complaints are just not real. The uses base will not be split. Currently all games will work on both systems. PSVR will work on both systems.  The upgrades to the PS4K are so minor that they won't make a huge difference outside of possible 4K output for movies and TV. The people "talking" about how the current PS4 can't handle VR are just talking. So why are you upset? I don't get it?

CURRENTLY, ps4.5 or k isn't even out yet, but obviously were looking into the near future. An increase in specs splits the user base,  I don't care what rules are in place, there wouldn't be a need for an increase if it wasn't going to be used.the minute it is, you have disparity and you've split the userbase. AND it's amplified huge with splitting the PSVR userbase off the bat, which makes me think there's no way they this is true.

If I seem angry, sorry, but just look at the tone of the OP'S post. Saying people have money envy. Look at it another way, some people need to get some money empathy. And I'm not talking about me, but think of the single mom that worked so hard to get her son a ps4 for christmas, now to have him come home from school and tell her there's another better one he needs.

That leaves a bad taste in the mouth towards SONY for the non gamer who asked the salesman even if this ps4 was the latest and if nothing new on the horizon soon, and he answered honestly, no. Or the kid with a summer job.

You have to empathize with the 40million users, and just demanding developers build in compatability back doesn't cut it.

I think it's a dumb move, but it's their company. Time will tell now if this is all true, and how it plays out.......

Yeah I can totally understand that. As a single father though it doesn't bother me because I know what is going on. A lot of those sinlge moms have no idea what the difference is between the PS4 and the PS4K and more than likely outside of the harcore gamers the kids won't know either. Heck you still have a lot of people that don't know the differences between the PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 they just see it as a playstation heck some call everything a Nintendo still lol. So the average consumer won't even be hindered by this. We the hardcore crowd are the ones that are making a big deal about it because we are spoiled and want things the way we want it.

For the average buyer this won't even bother them in the slightest. All they will care about is if it plays PS4 games, will they be able to play with their friends online and does it have maybe a few apps like Netflix, Hulu etc....they aren't going to be bothered by one having a better frame rate, SLIGHTLY better graphics and processing power etc...the only ones that would even care about that are US. The hardcore crowd who visit these forums. And why it even bothers us is beyond me because we are not forced to upgrade our current PS4s(even though I won't have mine until May 10th lol) and they will still work fine and will be able to play every game that is out and comes out.

So I guess your points while understandable are just not real yet so why not address them when or IF they come true. Because as of now we have been told that it will not happen. There were many revisions to the PS3 yet every game was still playable on every PS3. I know it is not the exact same scenario but you get this picture. This is being made into a big deal and from what has been released this won't have any impact outside of pushing 4k TVs and movies. So as you said time will tell so let's just wait and see how things play out.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

The graphics will be more than "slightly" better. 1.8 TFLOP vs. 4+ TFLOPS is a monster upgrade.

What's inevitably going to happen is one dev will make a game that really pushes the graphics on PS4.5 and then other developers will have to follow suit to be competitive, and then you're going to see more and more games made specifically for the 4.5 model first and foremost with the vanilla PS4 getting the inferior sub-par version.

Around the Network
POE said:
There is not outrage. Sony can do anything and people will still idolatrate them.

Try to stay classy, mate. Your comments are hypocritical and the double standards are getting tiring.

Ports on PS4/XB1 = disgrace
Rumored SSB4 + Zelda ports on NX = interesting

Season pass and day 1 DLC on PS4/XB1 = disgrace
Season pass and day 1 DLC in Mario Golf = acceptable

DLC on PS4/XB1 = disgrace ("there's no such thing as good DLC")
DLC in Mario Kart 8 (and amiibo) = interesting

Product placement on PS4/XB1 = "sellouts"
Mercedes product placement in Mario Kart 8 = "cool"

GOTY editions on PS4/XB1 = disgrace
2 almost identical Pokémon games (X/Y) = "I'm buying both"

Rumored new PS4/XB1 hardware iterations = disgrace
New 3DS = interesting

Just enjoy the games on your system and let others do the same. I enjoy both my Wii U and PS4 in spite of all these terrible, awful, etc. things :)

Soundwave said:
The graphics will be more than "slightly" better. 1.8 TFLOP vs. 4+ TFLOPS is a monster upgrade.

What's inevitably going to happen is one dev will make a game that really pushes the graphics on PS4.5 and then other developers will have to follow suit to be competitive, and then you're going to see more and more games made specifically for the 4.5 model first and foremost with the vanilla PS4 getting the inferior sub-par version.

It certainly not something to scoff at, but I would hardly call it a monster upgrade - it's something like Very High to Medium settings difference on PC (browsing through Anandtech Bench for various cards), which is not marginal, but not next gen level difference.

As for sub-par version - I don't know, are most (if not all) 3rd party multiplatfrom games on PS4 marked as sub-par now? Given how most (if not all) look much better on PCs with 4+ TFLOPs GPUs, you can actually call them inferior...so I'm not sure why it's any different if PS4K comes into play, except that it's another PS console and not PC.

I still think the entire ps4k is a fake, a vonlontary leak to know how people would react.

ZahaDoom said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

While I see where you are coming from at the CURRENT moment your complaints are just not real. The uses base will not be split. Currently all games will work on both systems. PSVR will work on both systems.  The upgrades to the PS4K are so minor that they won't make a huge difference outside of possible 4K output for movies and TV. The people "talking" about how the current PS4 can't handle VR are just talking. So why are you upset? I don't get it?

CURRENTLY, ps4.5 or k isn't even out yet, but obviously were looking into the near future. An increase in specs splits the user base,  I don't care what rules are in place, there wouldn't be a need for an increase if it wasn't going to be used.the minute it is, you have disparity and you've split the userbase. AND it's amplified huge with splitting the PSVR userbase off the bat, which makes me think there's no way they this is true.

If I seem angry, sorry, but just look at the tone of the OP'S post. Saying people have money envy. Look at it another way, some people need to get some money empathy. And I'm not talking about me, but think of the single mom that worked so hard to get her son a ps4 for christmas, now to have him come home from school and tell her there's another better one he needs.

That leaves a bad taste in the mouth towards SONY for the non gamer who asked the salesman even if this ps4 was the latest and if nothing new on the horizon soon, and he answered honestly, no. Or the kid with a summer job.

You have to empathize with the 40million users, and just demanding developers build in compatability back doesn't cut it.

I think it's a dumb move, but it's their company. Time will tell now if this is all true, and how it plays out.......

You're talking a lot about splitting but can you explain what exactly is split when everyone is getting the same but one group just has better performance *cough*pc and mobile*cough*?

From a sales perspective nothing is split, there won't be two versions of the same game. The userbase isn't split because everyone still is in the same ecosystem.

If you mean more of a figurative split in the minds of people you might be right. People with the old model may think they're now outclassed or that they're less worth now. But that's not a split anyone should be concerned about because that split exists everywhere and a lot of times it's just people whining that they can't have the best stuff.

So if a split in your mind means increased sales and a more satisfied customer for Sony, then hell yeah. We need more of those splits.

BTW if a PS4K or a N3DS means a split in userbase how bad are generation leaps then? Those poor PS3 players must've been really pissed that some other Sony fans are now having games with better performance and so many exclusives they won't get if they don't buy the new device. I haven't checked the news lately but that must've been horrible for customer satisfaction and sales and Sony is probably dead because of that by now.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

Feels that way to me. All these years the power of the PS4 was totally fine and the games look AMAZING and the human eye can't see faster than 24fps.

But when they're suddenly presented with a better choice they start to feel inferior. Why though? If the current performance of the PS4 is totally fine and in no way underpowered, why be scared of useless hardware improvements that won't improve the games in any way?

If the rumors are true and there will be no exclusive content for PS4K then I can only conclude two possible things about people who hate it.

1. Money envy. They're not able to afford all the newest things and hate if other people can buy better products.

2. Hidden regret. They suddenly realize that if Sony apparently deems the PS4 too weak, they feel as if they were wrong all along and the PS4 is actually underpowered despite their furious claims.

Anyway I don't like it. For once Sony does everything right and is about to reclaim my lost faith in them and there are people who try to hate on it for their own selfish reasons.

Knock it off, guys. Let Sony be great again! The claim that the release of a better console version will in any way hurt the juggernaught that is the PS4 is ridiculous.

We are in the community that is always focusing on the next generation and improved graphics. It has been like that from the infancy of the video gaming industry so it´s no surprise at all.

I understand those who are upset with this move, aswell as those that stand behind it. What is very clear though, is that Sony are only interested in bragging rights right now and to earn even more cash by "forcing" current PS4 owners to upgrade to the next installment. As the market leader, it makes sense that they are doing it and it will hopefully turn out to be a succesful move, but I will remain skeptical because it is a risky move.