By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4.5/PS4K Is Codenamed 'NEO' And More Info

KBG29 said:
Can't wait for E3. Everything is turning out exactly the way they said it would since before the PS4 launched. X86 and the standard GPU was a decision to create a scalable platform from day zero.

This is a great path for consoles to take. It leads to the platform staying relevent longer, and the life cycle extending greatly. This will allow the PS5 to be a true generational leap, and bring in a completely new way to develop and play games.

Generational leap? The ps platform just then becomes a PC, that's not a step forward it's a step back. We ALREADY HAVE a PC market, why create another? The whole steam box idea fizzled pretty quick didn't it. 

Why do so many of you WANT the console market to die? If you can't see how this will really really hurt future console releases, adoption rates will slow not increase.

Incremental upgrades work in the phone market because generally they are just phones and web browsers, people upgrade on subsidized contracts, people upgrade because their phone cracked or fell in the toliet. Not cuz they need 10fps extra out of angry birds.

Consoles are successful because they give you a good cheap way to get around 5 years of gaming parity close to the leading edge of gaming WITHOUT spending any more money. Take that away, besides SONY First party exclusives , there is ZERO reason not to just PC game instead,  where your totally in control of your components, cost and upgrade cycle.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
mutantsushi said:

Why wouldn't they?  Cross platform devs already do equivalent work tweaking for XBone/PC.
PS4.5 sharing same architecture as PS4 means you can rely on same optimizations to large degree.
Just increase resolution to full 1080p.  Full 60 fps.  Enable single player lighting in multiplayer mode.  Etc.
They don't need to bother to find the "ultimate" performance tweak, that "fully" leverages the PS4.5 power,
if they don't want to spend to much on PS4.5 specifics, they just go for the safe/easy performance boosts
Only when PS4/4.5 cross-compatability requirement is dropped will PS4.5 full power/optimization really be pursued.

Console video game development is not a matter of tweaking sliders. Engines are not designed to support this new specification. It's actually a whole pile of extra work, and literally double the QA cost when there is literally zero expectation for increased sales. None.

Video game developers get nothing out of supporting a higher-spec console except lower profits.

If money was their primary concern they would go mobile. 

Are they following the route of Mobile Phones now?

Bryank75 said:
potato_hamster said:

Console video game development is not a matter of tweaking sliders. Engines are not designed to support this new specification. It's actually a whole pile of extra work, and literally double the QA cost when there is literally zero expectation for increased sales. None.

Video game developers get nothing out of supporting a higher-spec console except lower profits.

If money was their primary concern they would go mobile. 

Care to name an entertainment company that is publicly traded, where the board needs to answer to share holders, where profit isn't their primary concern? It is literally the objective of these corporations to make as much money as possible with the knowledge base and assets the corporation has. You should also note that every major publisher (at least the ones I can think of) have made mobile games to varying degrees of success. When I was making mobile games, we aimed for 1 of every 3 games we released to make actually profit, mostly because the development cost was much lower, and if you luck out and make something that becomes a hit, you're rolling in it for a while. It's not the easy license to print money that many people make it out to be. It's a lot harder to consistently make huge profits in mobile games than it is in console video games.

Normchacho said:
I have to say I still don't really get the point from Sonys end...The PS4 is selling gangbusters and is just this year hitting it's stride really.

Why shake things up now?

It's Sony, they always have to fuck it up somehow.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
potato_hamster said:

(...) What about this whole thing makes you think it's "easy".

PlayStation gets a lot of games. This wouldn't happen if it weren't easy.

Really? Counter example: The Wii.

The wii was easily the most difficult console to develop for last generation. Really. The developer tools were atrocious. The dev kits were hard to use. Optimizing for the hardware was far more difficult than it needed to be, and Nintendo's certification process was disturbingly tedious. It sucked making Wii games. Yet that console had more shovelware than the PS3 and X360 combined. Why? Because there were 100 million potential customers out there that might be looking to spend $30 on a video game if you make it cheap enough and interesting looking enough.

My point is, people are willing to deal with horse shit if they think they can make money off of it as a result.

Ruler said:
SvennoJ said:

So a price hike? What about the vast majority that jumps in at the 299 and below price point?
3DS games were never patched for N3DS, why would ps4 developers care?

I would sooner think CD Projekt and From Software provide patches for the NEO and leave ps4 version be sluggish. TW3 required a ton of patches messing performance up and down, while from software doesn't know how to hold a steady frame rate throughout their games. Now they get an easy out, runs fine on the NEO ;)

maybe W3 should have run at 900p in the first place? 

the people who bought it at 299 can sell their console which they got for a cheaper price. Most decend graphicscards alone cost 400$, stop doing like 399 cost the world

It's no me that cares aout 399 price point. I was going to buy a 4K UHD playback capable version anyway.

It's the majority of users that join when the slim hits at a lower price point. And sure, they can buy a second hand base model, or go for another cheaper option not willing to buy the inferior version or a used console. Why is it so hard to understand how and why a console generation works the way it does. Going back to 399 will slow things down considerably and will cause the actual generation cycle to become a lot longer, while games won't really progress and stick to targeting the far more numerous base model. We're just past the point where games have lost their shackles for supporting last gen, with this new model they will never move beyond the base model.

Instead of new graphics engines and much more imortant other innovations in 2019, we'll now get stuck with base ps4 specs until much later. This articale already states that the NEO can't have extra feautures, better AI, more enemies, bigger levels, better procedural generation, all the things that really count. Just a minor graphical bump while the base model dictates what games can do.

Codename NEO... who is The One...

Ohhh, I see what you did there Sony.

I don't like this one bit. I'd like to be very cautious to this idea. I just wonder if all the PS4 games are capable of scaling up performance and graphics. With all this hardware enhancing, it makes me think that they're having in mind some kind of software/hardware that's demanding.

On the positive side, this might mean that the original PS4 will get a price reduction eventually.

HoloDust said:
Hm, I'm wondering what that GPU is, if that rumour is true...

PS4's GPU is either downclocked 7870 (Pitcairn) with 2CUs disabled, plus some additional circuitry from Hawaii, or it's downclocked 290 (Hawaii Pro) cut in half with 2CUs disabled.

So, this would be something like downclocked 290/390 with 4CUs disabled...or maybe it's Polaris based, which I doubt, but in any case I guess it needs to be on 14nm, 28nm would be too power hungry.

The main problem with it being 14nm is that AMD only produces the Jaguar cores in the 28nm process, and I doubt they're willing to bring Jaguar to 14nm having Puma around. And they can't use both processes together with one APU.

That said, the fastest Jaguar processor was the 2.05GHz Athlon 5350. Has AMD made a faster version of the CPU? Is the leak incorrect and Neo uses Puma cores? And if the leak is incorrect in that part, what else can be wrong/false?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

All I know is that I aint complaining, I'm just going to buy it.