By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if the Wii U was successful... Lets think about it.

what do you think of my guesses?

I agree with most of them 26 29.21%

I agree with all of them 9 10.11%

I disagree with all of them 16 17.98%

Ahh I see what you did there. 4 4.49%

I don't know 4 4.49%

I don't care 17 19.10%

See Results 13 14.61%

Total:89
Hiku said:
bigtakilla said:

1: Yes it would exist, and it would probably have been revealed this year as well. Heck the only difference COULD be if it does drop this year. If the Wii U was successful a 2017 release would be assured instead of questioned. I think the days of over 5 years of support for a console is gone (THANK GOD!)

Nintendo's successful consoles (NES, SNES and Wii) had lifespans of 7,5, 5,5, and 6 years respectively. If we go by the shortest one of the bunch, the 5,5 years, that would put NX into 2018.

I'm a little confused with how you worded it, but 5 years would be 2017 (It released 2012. 2+5=7. Not trying to be a jerk or anything).

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
LipeJJ said:
I totally agree on number #3. It's probably the reason why they delayed it.

I don't doubt they are taking the extra time to polish the game and add quests and stuff, but the original reason is probably cause they wanted to have a strong "hardcore" game for the NX's release.

It's not so much the impending release of the NX causing the delay as it is the game just not being ready for prime time.  No way was it ever going to be ready for release by holiday '15 even if the Wii U wasn't struggling.

Knowing Nintendo, the NeXt Zelda is still having some serious work done under the hood before it's ready for prime time.  Just look how much longer it took for Skyward Sword to be released for example after it was initially unveiled at E3 2010... a year and a half between its public debut and final release date in Nov 2011.  All we've had to go on so far for the new Zelda is the brief off-screen demo as part of the E3 2014 Direct.  We haven't even gotten a hands-on demo of the game yet.

Exactly, all we've really seen is a cutscene, and Link riding a horse fighting a few moblins. Chances are they just weren't as far along as they would have liked. I remember the Skyward Sword footage at E3 2010, and it looked MUCH farther along than any of the footage of Zelda U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dYgrMz_XBI

and it was still delayed. We got to see combat, boss fights, tons of examples of how the Wiimote worked in the game. Zelda U we got a cutscene.....

In this scenario, the Wii U would have gotten more third party support in the early years because the X1 and PS4 weren't out yet, so it would have gotten a lot more games from the PS360 era. There would be less games from the current gen, but still a few, because as long as publishers find it profitable to put a game out on a system, they'll find a way.

The NX would still exist and be in development, we just wouldn't have any confirmation from Nintendo. We'd still have a thousand rumor threads, but we'd just have an unofficial codename for it.

Zelda is 50/50. It's likely that it got delayed for NX, but whose to say that it wouldn't have been delayed for another year anyway? When is the last time a new Zelda game on home console didn't get delayed two or three times over?

We would have gotten the next 3D Mario, Pikmin 4 AND Metroid... And Star Fox would have been given more time and a bigger budget.

I think Wiiu is a Step to NX...
Since its launch, Wiiu was always been thinking to become NX handheld...
So I am not surprise about wiiu ports, i think NX will use wiiu OS and streaming... so I don't think Nintendo think wiiu was a error, it is a way which must be taken

I really dont see point of threads like this, what if Wii U was more powerful, what if Wii U had good marketing and name, what if Wii U didnt had gamepad, what if Wii U was relased in 2010 or 2011...

Around the Network

Gaming would be in a much better state than it is today.

And I might own a console from this generation.

I LOVE ICELAND!

In order for Wii U to be successful, it would have had to have had a Zelda and Mario Galaxy game on it already.
It would have had to have had many more Nintendo games.
There also would have had to have been no mobile industry boom.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Nintation360 said:

So its November 2012 again and 1 year later the Wii U has the same sales as the PS4. What things would change?

Things I think would change: 

1. Codename NX wouldn't exist AT ALL. The Wii U is on FIRE so why build another console?! All Video Games would sell great!
  2. Wii U would have all 3rd party support... Are developers hard working people? Yes but developers would HATE the Wii U for being underpowered and its a PAIN to cram all their games into a little console
  3. Zelda U would've got released last year too. This is a personal theory. But I think the reason why Zelda U got delayed was because they are currently making a NX port. but without the port it would've released a long time ago!!
  4. We would get alot more damn games! 3rd party AND first party. I strongly believe we would've got the next 3D Mario game already. Mario games such as Sunshine, Galaxy and 64. Not the New Super Mario Bros 3D mario games.
  5. Now this one should've be a hard one.... Xbox One would've been selling BAD. and the PS4 would be less successful. I know there's people out there who woud get the Wii U intead of Xbox one or PS4 if the Wii U had all the 3rd party support and properly built.  

What do you think what would change? I have other reasons but those are unimportant lol.         

1. NX would exist, but it might not have been announced at this point. NX was announced early as an assurance that the partnership with DeNA wasn't heralding the end for dedicated Nintendo game consoles. If Wii U was going strong, there would be no need for that reassurance.

2. Wii U would have significantly more 3rd party support, but still have strong 1st party support.

3. Don't know on this one. NX may have impacted the timing of Zelda U - but weak Wii U sales might not be the only reason to have poured more time and effort into NX at this point in time. NX plays a major part in the grand scheme that includes Nintendo account, mobile apps etc.

4. Fully agree that there would be a huge amount more games, but not necessarily more 1st party ones.

5. Interesting one - XBOX had a bad start because of that backlash on the first reveal - and Sony capitalised on that and boosted the popularity of the PS4 in the months prior to launch. Wii U was already out of the gate and running at this point. If it had been more successful it might well have expanded its share of the pie to a greater or lesser extent, but I don't think it would have changed the ratio between PS4 and X1 sales. I could envisage Wii U and X1 being very close with PS4 still comfortably ahead but with a slightly lesser lead compared with now, But then, what do I know.

Other things that might have changed:

If the Wii U concept had been sold better and had been more successful, they may well have exploited it's capabilities further, like the fact that it can support more than one Gamepad.

Nintation360 said:

So its November 2012 again and 1 year later the Wii U has the same sales as the PS4. What things would change?

Things I think would change: 

1. Codename NX wouldn't exist AT ALL. The Wii U is on FIRE so why build another console?! All Video Games would sell great!
  2. Wii U would have all 3rd party support... Are developers hard working people? Yes but developers would HATE the Wii U for being underpowered and its a PAIN to cram all their games into a little console
  3. Zelda U would've got released last year too. This is a personal theory. But I think the reason why Zelda U got delayed was because they are currently making a NX port. but without the port it would've released a long time ago!!
  4. We would get alot more damn games! 3rd party AND first party. I strongly believe we would've got the next 3D Mario game already. Mario games such as Sunshine, Galaxy and 64. Not the New Super Mario Bros 3D mario games.
  5. Now this one should've be a hard one.... Xbox One would've been selling BAD. and the PS4 would be less successful. I know there's people out there who woud get the Wii U intead of Xbox one or PS4 if the Wii U had all the 3rd party support and properly built.  

What do you think what would change? I have other reasons but those are unimportant lol.         

1. Of course, the NX was already about to be revealed, nothing changes here, next year the Wii U will complete five years and will end a normal cycle. In other words, the Wii U is not leaving before time.

2. Obviously, even Ubisoft said would not produce more because the public is very small, usually those who buy Nintendo  abstain from purchasing third party products see the top 20 bestseller list for example. About running third party support, I don't see any problem, WiiU is closer to PS4 in terms of hardware than the Wii/PS3. Games like the witcher 3 would be ported without problem, but lower resolution.

3. I think zelda was brought to 2016 just for a celebration of 30 years.

4. So very true, once the games like Kirby or Yoshi had reached around 3 million sales less popular franchises could have a chance and we could get games with a very high investment, as high as Mario Kart 8, include here forgotten franchises like Mach Rider or Ice Climber.

5. There would probably be a better balance in sales, with a small number difference and much less fanboys/ haters.

C'mon guys, we need to go further. What about amiibo? The Nintendo smartphone games? The 3DS? There's more than 3rd parties and ports to this.

But yeah, not much would've changed. A few games here and there would have been made/cancelled (Amiibo party comes to mind), relationship with Ubisoft would be pretty good (if success expands to more than just Nintendo), and that's about it.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988