By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - No Man's Sky First (DO NOT MISS THIS!) [Large GIFs]

This game doesn't look boring, I can imagine spending hours just flying around or travelling but the problem is whats the point in the game?

Around the Network
Chazore said:
teigaga said:

If the closest game to it is a retro styled indie title, then it means that there are not many (if any) AAA developers making games like it. Which is good because it means more diversity and as I said 2D and 3D experience are not the same. 3D Mario and 2D Mario co-exist because they both offer something different. Essentially even if NMS is very similar to Starbound, that is more valuable in terms of diversity then it being similar to Battlefield 4. I would like to see more games where there are very few comparisons at retail.

You're citing only AAA devs and yet the devs behind NMS arne't exactly AAA devs, they are indie devs given some funds from Sony due to the flood they suffered which damaged a lot of their equipment and progress, it may look AAA to you but it's still an indie game that isn't on the AAA level of say GTA, Fallout, Final Fantasy etc.

They're not even remotely close to AAA devs, Sony may be publishing/marketing the hell out of it, but Hello Games had like 5 employees when development on NMS started, I believe they're up to 11 now.

mornelithe said:

They're not even remotely close to AAA devs, Sony may be publishing/marketing the hell out of it, but Hello Games had like 5 employees when development on NMS started, I believe they're up to 11 now.

That's what I was trying to say, they were so small when they started, heck even with 11 people that's still small compared to say Ubisoft and their multiple studios they stringed together for Creed Unity (wasn't it something like 200+?)

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
mornelithe said:

That's what I was trying to say, they were so small when they started, heck even with 11 people that's still small compared to say Ubisoft and their multiple studios they stringed together for Creed Unity (wasn't it something like 200+?)

For the size and scale, yeah it's an incredibly small team.

foodfather said:
This game doesn't look boring, I can imagine spending hours just flying around or travelling but the problem is whats the point in the game?

In terms of a central goal, it's pretty much 'Reach The Center Of The Galaxy,' but like how Minecraft's central goal is 'Defeat The Ender Dragon,' this can be ignored entirely, or pursued at exclusion of all else. There's a hint that something is supposed to be there, but no clue what, except that reaching it won't make the game end. Could be a big 'boss,' though it seems unlikely given the current philosophy of the game. Could be some spectacular civilization. Could be a hub where players can actually run into each other. Could be a portal to another galaxy filled with even more messed up creatures and aliens. The range I hear in terms of how long it might take to fulfill this goal has been between 40 and 100 hours, and it largely seems to depend on a combination of luck, how much you rush towards the goal without spending a lot of time on upgrades or exploration. (Though given things are supposed to grow increasingly dangerous towards the center, skimping on upgrades could result in a severe difficulty spike.)

-------

To those who've mentioned seeing themselves grow bored with the title, though, (not you, foodfather,) I should acquiest that you're probably all right if you feel that way. Interviews with the dev suggest that this game was ultimately designed to appeal to those who want a great, big galaxy to explore, fly around in, pirate, trade, upgrade, etc, and as such it is going to be more about providing a big playground of space-y goodness than it is a defined series of events to guide the player along. It has been strongly suggested there will be an underlying lore to this galaxy, and players will be able to learn more about it, but the design suggests a lot of this will be finding snippets of information and stories, not a structured trail that leads towards a narrative climax.

Basically, this isn't Destiny. xP

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Zanten said:
Can't wait. I needs. @_@

With regards to the IGN video, though, at around the 18:36 mark when he's on the station, does anyone else get the impression that Sean was trying to coyly hide a proper view of whatever's beyond the massive ceiling to floor viewport in between the two ramps? He turns the camera towards the left, i.e. towards the ramp in that direction, though not far enough to look towards the actual doorway at the end of the catwalk, then very quickly turns to the right to head up the other ramp, all without lingering on the viewport at a proper angle to really look inside. Keeping in mind that the majority of Sean's camera movements in the video have been pretty slow and measured. =P

Might just be me. But judging by the curving lines beyond the viewport visible at around 18:42, the chamber is clearly massive. o.o

What if there are apartments in there that you can rent? Then resources also become a way of staying comfortably on a planet while you explore.

It's a possibility, but I don't think they're going to be doing anything too extensive when it comes to player housing, at least not at launch; a prior interview suggested that when they were figuring out what they would focus on with the resources they had (the features they would develop, the ones they would set aside for 'hopefully later,' etc,) they wanted to focus on encouraging the player to remain on the move, and not to 'settle down' in a given spot. While Murray admitted that there were those who would doubtlessly do so anyway, they weren't including things like player-built structures at launch because they didn't want the player to necessarily feel tied down to just one planet or solar system. So not super certain apartments are going to be a thing, barring maybe a spartan save point and storage locker with a bed.

I actually wonder if the chamber has anything to do with the Atlas, the Sentinels, etc; the stations may be build by the same organization that created all that.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Zanten said:

It's a possibility, but I don't think they're going to be doing anything too extensive when it comes to player housing, at least not at launch; a prior interview suggested that when they were figuring out what they would focus on with the resources they had (the features they would develop, the ones they would set aside for 'hopefully later,' etc,) they wanted to focus on encouraging the player to remain on the move, and not to 'settle down' in a given spot. While Murray admitted that there were those who would doubtlessly do so anyway, they weren't including things like player-built structures at launch because they didn't want the player to necessarily feel tied down to just one planet or solar system. So not super certain apartments are going to be a thing, barring maybe a spartan save point and storage locker with a bed.

I actually wonder if the chamber has anything to do with the Atlas, the Sentinels, etc; the stations may be build by the same organization that created all that.

Yes, I agree. It's more likely to be a patch than a launch game feature.

The PS5 Exists. 

Is this real?!!

In Sony We Trust!

Chazore said:
teigaga said:

If the closest game to it is a retro styled indie title, then it means that there are not many (if any) AAA developers making games like it. Which is good because it means more diversity and as I said 2D and 3D experience are not the same. 3D Mario and 2D Mario co-exist because they both offer something different. Essentially even if NMS is very similar to Starbound, that is more valuable in terms of diversity then it being similar to Battlefield 4. I would like to see more games where there are very few comparisons at retail.

You're citing only AAA devs and yet the devs behind NMS arne't exactly AAA devs, they are indie devs given some funds from Sony due to the flood they suffered which damaged a lot of their equipment and progress, it may look AAA to you but it's still an indie game that isn't on the AAA level of say GTA, Fallout, Final Fantasy etc.

They're not AAA but they're competing in the exact same space. I'm simply talking about a game which look like they can only be achieved with a decent budget (something I think they have- 4+ years full time development 5-11 people), a game with retail presence (something many indies can't afford) and hefty a price tag (something few indie games can command). In the event that it succeeds, it sets a president for the type of games that can find success at the $60 pricetag, a market dominated by relatively samey AAA titles. In turn this game has the capacity to be a taste maker for that market in ways a 2D, sprite based, $10-20 download only title cannot. 

I really hope this titles sells upwards  of 2m at $60, I think it will really shake up the industry.

Amusing:

View on YouTube

The PS5 Exists.