By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - No Man's Sky First (DO NOT MISS THIS!) [Large GIFs]

That is superbly written, Zanten. [Not meant to sound patronising]

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
mountaindewslave said:

that's easy for you to assume and to say, but what exactly is the 'making your own story'? if potentially it takes 10s of hours to find other players and likely will take an infinite amount of time to get to the 'center' of the universe, then what possible story or goal is there?

Everyone can appreciate the 'journey' but a journey is generally something leading SOMEWHERE. 

the concern with this game is its lack of focus. It may really be just a space adventure simulator where you pick up resources and do light exploration of fairly generic automatically generated planets.

What people really want is a space exploration game that is large but can still maintain a community and interaction with both computers and other HUMAN players.

No Man's Sky biggest issue I think possibly could be the difficulty in finding other humans to interact with. Let's be honest- probably over half of the people picking up this game are going to be most excited about the potential of big space battles. If those people find out that its insanely difficult to find other players to get involved with with battles (based on the size of the universe) then its going to be a major disappointment.

I think exploration is awesome and I like the concepts of this game but there is an issue with exploration when the majority of what you are 'exploring' has been computer generated. It means that while many planets may APPEAR different aesthetically, they will behave similarly in terms of the NPC's, nature, artifact searching.

I mean's cool that one planet might be tropical and another freezing cold, but if you're simply landing on planet to planet to name some things and shoot/collect resources then that could get tiring very quickly.

Again the human player interaction component I think is key for this sort of large scope game. They need some sort of solar systems that everyone can access to meet and interact with other players. Even maybe just based on where you are in the galaxy, like regions have their own hubs for people to go to (I don't obviously expect someone on one end of the galaxy to be able to meet up with someone on the other). Just SOMETHING

Zanten already gave a very detailed reply, and I agree with him, human player interaction is the last thing I'm looking for in No Man Sky.

To me it looks like a vastly more varied exploration game than Elite Dangerous, much closer to the spirit of Frontier Elite First Encounters. That game was single player only, no goal, some vague lore to follow and a vast galaxy to explore. It was my go to game for months. And the much more limited current MMO version still had me hooked for months where I literally wrote my own story https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=132053

It is an acquired taste though. The percentage of people that wander off in Elite Dangerous to explore the vast galaxy is tiny compared to those who stick around in the 'bubble' to shoot each other. I got bored with combat almost immediately, stuck to trading and exploring. NMS looks like a dream come true to me, yet I see it might be a tough sell to today's console crowd.

I'm just very bored of killing things atm, I hope combat will be at a minimum. I'm currently playing Minecraft (creative) again, Trackmania and Just Dance... Dark souls was one of the best games ever, yet I don't feel like playing and interacting with people at all in the 3rd one. Hopefully my murder lust comes back by the time Uncharted 3 comes out, looks like a lovely place to experience. Perhaps the new Ratchet and Clank will get me going.

mountaindewslave said:

biggest concern for me, as others have mentioned, is that the sheer size of the generated game will be so large that it will be difficult to find other players to interact with.

The fun for me with a game like this would be picking races/aliens to ally with and/or meeting up with friends to get involved with space battles or whatever (like the traders / space pirates sort of stuff).

A game like this NEEDS some sort of trading hubs or planets which are easily accessible (teleport?) for the human players to meet up in. LIke maybe certain solar systems that everyone can easily find.

if It literally is the scale of like millions of star systems then no one will ever be able to find other humans to play with :/ makes a huge difference

As Gribble stated, it's a single player game.  You may see another player someday, but Sean Murray wanted that to be so rare it'd be a unique/special experience.  They also didn't put Co-oP in, because they wanted it to be a SP experience.

Crafting. That planet though:

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2016/04/15/how-crafting-in-no-mans-sky-works

View on YouTube

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:

Crafting. That planet though:

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2016/04/15/how-crafting-in-no-mans-sky-works

View on YouTube

One detail I don't remember hearing about before is apparently even inventory management will be a thoughtful process, as you are afforded bonuses for placing certain upgrades in close proximity to one another. Curious about how complex this is- whether any combination of stacked upgrades will do, or if certain configurations are better than others, if there will be an internal logic to it all or just randomly determined, etc- but regardless, certainly more interesting than just tossing an upgrade 'Eh, wherever.' And having resource storage and upgrades both rely on the same empty slots sounds like an excellent way to balance utility with storage capacity. Liking this more and more.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Around the Network
Zanten said:

One detail I don't remember hearing about before is apparently even inventory management will be a thoughtful process, as you are afforded bonuses for placing certain upgrades in close proximity to one another. Curious about how complex this is- whether any combination of stacked upgrades will do, or if certain configurations are better than others, if there will be an internal logic to it all or just randomly determined, etc- but regardless, certainly more interesting than just tossing an upgrade 'Eh, wherever.' And having resource storage and upgrades both rely on the same empty slots sounds like an excellent way to balance utility with storage capacity. Liking this more and more.

Yes, that's new. I'm also interested to see how deep that feature is.

The PS5 Exists. 

Third episode:

http://assets3.ign.com/videos/zencoder/2016/04/15/1920/bd6e86568717fb087d2395d5b204b754-5000000-1460753929-w.mp4

Youtube version added to OP

The PS5 Exists. 

This is nice too!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqmJ8k9uBB0

Let's rock... AND RIDE!!!

Fourth Episode. Some strange cratures in this one:

http://assets2.ign.com/videos/zencoder/2016/04/19/1920/ca591e083148a00f643e0a4513bfeb78-9000000-1461095333.mp4

The PS5 Exists. 

View on YouTube

The PS5 Exists.