By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - No Man's Sky First (DO NOT MISS THIS!) [Large GIFs]

GribbleGrunger said:
mornelithe said:

Yeah that's how it appeared to me also, basically just a reference point for if you go off and explore for hours, it's always there to point you towards the center.

When you consider the size of the game, just aiming for a bright light could still put you on a course that causes you to have to visit thousands of planets unecessarily, if of course you're the sort of person that wants to make the centre your goal. It makes sense for there to be an optimal route map. We'll see but that's my take too. On the 'abode' front, evidently there have been rumours we'll be able to buy modules to build a base with but it's only a small rumour at the moment. I still think there's far more depth than what's been shown so far. Even if there isn't though it's going to be a great experience.

Yeah, you also have to consider the size of the center, as well.  As large as it is shown in the galactic view, the center is fucking enormous. 

Around the Network
pokoko said:
sundin13 said:
Looks pretty as all hell, but I still don't get what is supposed to make me want to play this instead of just watching someone else play it.

It's funny but I think the same thing about games where everyone has the same experience.  I mean, the lines are all going to be the same, the enemies are all going to spawn at the same points, and the world is going to be mostly static.  Games with linear 'levels' leave me especially cold.  A game where my play-through is going to be unique, though?  Give me that.  I like it when I can't watch a video that will be exactly like what I'm doing because that video doesn't exist.

Thats fair, however the joy in most games that I like isn't in watching other people do something, it is in doing something myself which is what I was getting at. While watching someone else would ruin part of the experience for me, the joy of Mario is actually completing the platforming challenges, the joy of Zelda is figuring out the puzzles and beating the bosses etc. I feel like with this game, theres nothing that makes me want to play. The combat doesn't look too great and theres not really a ton to find other than some pretty pictures while exploring. The experience is visual as opposed to tactile.

Chazore said:
teigaga said:
Will be getting this regardless of whether it lives up to hype. Originality like this needs to be supported at the $60 price point, not just budget Indie titles.

How much originality are we talking here?, temp control, upgrading tools, spaceships, trading, procedural generation, tagging aspects aren't really original let alone the first to ever be done for a game like NMS, we've already played titles with those features for a number of years, Spore especially comes to mind when we look at procedurally generated creatures. If you want this game to be supported no matter what price tag then I'd likely suggest the same for future titles from other devs that sport said features, not just this title alone. 

Originality isn't based on conjuring concepts from thin air with no familiar grounding, its about execution in a ways previously unseen.

Point me to another console game where I can explore full scale, procedurally generated planets with their own ecosystems and am able to fly between planets and solar systems in real time. Throw in space battles and the gorgeous, unique  artstyle and I don't see how this game isn't original. 

Diversity in the type of AAA games  we recieve is of serious need. We'll get 12 different online Sci-FI FPS's  in one year and not even one Sci Fi game with emphasis on wanderlust and exploration. Its tragic.

So to answer your question, an aweful lot in terms of the AAA game scene.

I'm still seeing a game where you have the whole universe to do an epic amount of nothing.

Looks great! I don't know if I'll be picking this up but it looks phenomenal. I'm going to put a gif warning in the title, got some reports about them eating data.

Around the Network

Hopefully this game is great and not over hyped and planets are varied enough, my worry is if there just slightly different like minecraft maps then this could get boring fast.

Goodnightmoon said:
I'm still seeing a game where yoy have the whole universe to do an epic amount of nothing.

Sounds like Minecraft...

Goodnightmoon said:
I'm still seeing a game where yoy have the whole universe to do an epic amount of nothing.

How about the graphics, do you like them?

AEGRO said:
Goodnightmoon said:

How about the graphics, do you like them?

Yes, the style is pretty nice. There's some ugly things like the grass and a lot of shadows, but I like how it looks overall.

Boutros said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Sounds like Minecraft...

But with way less interactivity with the world, here you are shooting rocks to get resources so you can fly to another planet and keep shooting rocks. Really exciting.

There some cool things like finding the ancient runes to learn the alien language and that but overall I feel this game is gonna get boring in no time, is more like an experience than a game.