By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We need to talk about Superman for a second..(Batman vs Superman spoilers)

Hynad said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Um...sorry but no.

There were bits of Flashpoint Paradox (Flash dreams)

Justice League War (Cyborg video borrowed from war animation, Visions of the Parademons in the future)

and Batman vs Superman (loosely based off of the actual comic and animation. Of course, featuring no Green Arrow)

Then we have the dawn of justice plot which is the precursor for the Justice League in itself featuring none other than Lex Luthor.

The whole fact that Doomsday was an issue. Didnt you notice that fan complaints stopped once they took Doomsday out of the commercial and left it just as Superman vs Batman?

DC has been taking liberties using old storylines from their most successful animated films and novels and cramming as much nonsensical information into one barely coherent script.

Lexes motivations were not known throughout the whole movie. We knew what he was waiting for and we knew that he set things up...but never knew why. A waste of two and a half hours that never finds its resolution as to his logic. A movie like this is only as strong as its primary antagonists ambitions and motivations and it lacks there beyond reason.

As the editor said, the original cut was was four hours. What they should've done was made this into a two part story with Batman vs Superman and then Dawn of Justice. 

Those are set-ups for a sequel. The movie was still a single story told quite simply, and easy to follow.

I'm not going to agree with you when I had an easy time keeping up with what was going on. 

You take the elements of the story, and separate them as if they were the comic books from which the movie takes its inflences. They're not their comic books counterparts. This movie told a different take on these events and included them in a single story. They're not separate entities. They're all elements that build up to a climax, just like in any other movies. 

As for the movie not explaining everything, they're setting up the sequel and other movies. The videos showcasing other "super" beings present the viewers with elements of Lex's character. He's had his eyes on those beings. He knows. That's not separate stories. In the movie, they're showing us that Lex has known about those being for quite some time now and it explains parts of his behaviour and actions. 

You look at things and remove them from their context, based on what you know from outside the movie (comics, other movies, whatever else), instead of looking at the movie as it is and linking its parts together.

The movie is a single story.  And no amount of nay-saying will make me see it otherwise. I simply ain't getting on this hate-train you're on. And really, it's actually quite obvious that's what you'rte doing. And when someone does that, there's simply no point arguing. They simply don't [want to] see what's right on front of them. 

I used to like debating/arguing with people like that, trying to make them see otherwise, but I simply don't have the energy/will to do that anymore, and quite honestly, I simply couldn't give a rats ass about what other people think I should hate.

The same reason I've chosen to just let it go. Most of these movies take small tidbits from different stories, change characters, and make mostly original storylines. The only thing b vs s did was slip a 30 cameo of heroes into the middle of the movie, instead of the end.

I realized I was debating with someone who is only vaguely familiar with modern comics and the characters within. That's when I just let it go.

And like you, his last response to one of my posts had nothing to do with my comment. *shrugs*

Around the Network

For the record, it's totally okay to like something I dislike or dislike something I do like. No need to convince people that their opinion is wrong.

I actually want to apologize to the Episode VII fans I used to attack. I feel your pain.

I didn't think I was going to comment on this movie but after reading some of the comments in this thread I feel compelled to.

It seems that some people that watched these movies MoS and BVS watched them with the mindset of how they wanted it to be told instead of how it was being told to us. They aren't told like a typical superhero-movie but rather from the point of view of what may happen in the real world if someone like this really exist, (its also why MOS gave off a somewhat alien invasion vibe).
For eg if superpowered aliens happened to come to earth it won't just be everyone cheering him on while he goes after the bad guy, in the real world some people will be frightened as f*%K to give someone with all that power free reign and rightfully so, it would be ludicrous to blindly cheer someone on like that. In the real world we live in lots of questions and suspicion will be raised and this is the perspective the movie tried to tell it from.

Did the movie execute everything they wanted to do perectly? For my part no.

But when I see reasons in this thread like it was a mismash of incoherent stories, I can't help but think what the hell did some people watch it was a pretty simple movie to follow. Saying things like there was some flashpoint paradox and justice league stuff storyarcs does not mean it interefered with the story being told, that's like saying the first ironman movie was incoherent because shield was mentioned, you saw the seven rings or whatever it is on a badguy implying mandarin arc (not a big ironman comic fan but I know there was a slight reference to the mandarin in the first ironman maybe someone could clear it up) and there was avengers mentioned so everything was incoherent, when these are just wink and nods to the audience and comic fans who will get them, the only difference being BvS had them in the middle of the movie rather than the end.

Things that were actullay bad in the movie for me was the actual reason batman and superman fought, they should have just fought because they had different ideals (which it looked like what the movie was setting up) rather this his mom being captured or whatever, to me that defeated some of the premise the batman agaisnt superman thing.
In the end the movie is certainly not as terrible as some making it out be and some people are really just jumping on a bandwagon, but the movie certainly could have done things better.

edit- for my part i like the general direction they took with these movies, with the perspective of if it actually happened scenario, superman is  a very boring character to get a good story out of otherwise, he just was not made in a time for that.

Also WTF did people expect from a movie  with Batman vs Superman they are te most mismatched characters for a fight ever, people let comicbook nerd hype get the best of them, not everything that is in a comic translates good to movie, a F*%king ordinary man in a batsuit vs a super powered alien that shit only works in comics.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Nem said:

Face it, superman is an old and overpowered character. It is difficult to fit him in any story without ruining it.

And you know why? Spoiler, but he isn't really dead. The guy can't really be killed.

Everyone is tired of the old "mary sue" "goody two shoes" superman. He isn't relatable. The new portrayal shows him as a flawed human beeing. That is more realistic.

Neither is Captain America, but eventually Civil War makes him relatable. A goody two shoes who stands up for American values who then turns into American badass once the government tries to take threaten civil liberties.

d21lewis said:

The same reason I've chosen to just let it go. Most of these movies take small tidbits from different stories, change characters, and make mostly original storylines. The only thing b vs s did was slip a 30 cameo of heroes into the middle of the movie, instead of the end.

I realized I was debating with someone who is only vaguely familiar with modern comics and the characters within. That's when I just let it go.

And like you, his last response to one of my posts had nothing to do with my comment. *shrugs*

Its not over yet. Theres more film to be seen. Perhaps they will fill in the gaps with motivation of lex. The extra thirty minutes from the Blu Ray will most likely come to the theaters. Theres zero indication of his motivations before he finds the ship as to why hes framing Superman. When threads of plot dont go together well I tend to notice, thats all. I can understhis plans to prepare for darkseid but before that it makes no sense at all. Even then they cut out so much that you never knew what was going on there until the very end. Thats one thing about Snyder movie. His movies need as much run time as possible to get whats going through his head out. 

Around the Network
cyberninja45 said:

I didn't think I was going to comment on this movie but after reading some of the comments in this thread I feel compelled to.

It seems that some people that watched these movies MoS and BVS watched them with the mindset of how they wanted it to be told instead of how it was being told to us. They aren't told like a typical superhero-movie but rather from the point of view of what may happen in the real world if someone like this really exist, (its also why MOS gave off a somewhat alien invasion vibe).
For eg if superpowered aliens happened to come to earth it won't just be everyone cheering him on while he goes after the bad guy, in the real world some people will be frightened as f*%K to give someone with all that power free reign and rightfully so, it would be ludicrous to blindly cheer someone on like that. In the real world we live in lots of questions and suspicion will be raised and this is the perspective the movie tried to tell it from.

Did the movie execute everything they wanted to do perectly? For my part no.

But when I see reasons in this thread like it was a mismash of incoherent stories, I can't help but think what the hell did some people watch it was a pretty simple movie to follow. Saying things like there was some flashpoint paradox and justice league stuff storyarcs does not mean it interefered with the story being told, that's like saying the first ironman movie was incoherent because shield was mentioned, you saw the seven rings or whatever it is on a badguy implying mandarin arc (not a big ironman comic fan but I know there was a slight reference to the mandarin in the first ironman maybe someone could clear it up) and there was avengers mentioned so everything was incoherent, when these are just wink and nods to the audience and comic fans who will get them, the only difference being BvS had them in the middle of the movie rather than the end.

Things that were actullay bad in the movie for me was the actual reason batman and superman fought, they should have just fought because they had different ideals (which it looked like what the movie was setting up) rather this his mom being captured or whatever, to me that defeated some of the premise the batman agaisnt superman thing.
In the end the movie is certainly not as terrible as some making it out be and some people are really just jumping on a bandwagon, but the movie certainly could have done things better.

edit- for my part i like the general direction they took with these movies, with the perspective of if it actually happened scenario, superman is  a very boring character to get a good story out of otherwise, he just was not made in a time for that.

Also WTF did people expect from a movie  with Batman vs Superman they are te most mismatched characters for a fight ever, people let comicbook nerd hype get the best of them, not everything that is in a comic translates good to movie, a F*%king ordinary man in a batsuit vs a super powered alien that shit only works in comics.

The Avengers plot wasnt incoherent. It works out like this:

1-Loki works for beings above and searches for the tesseract ( first piece of the infinity gauntlet shown, which gives him control of beings and opens portals)

2- Loki uses their armies to invade earth after using the tesseract to slip from one place to another. His primary motivation for wanting to rule earth himself is the to get back at his brother Thor because of his love of Midgard.

3- Loki fails to do so because the Superheroes thrwarted his plan

4-We find out that Thanos is not pleased with his failure once word goes back up the echelons.

That is simple and clear. Loki's motivations were known throughout the movie. The motivations of those above him were shrouded in mystery, but that was fine because we knew each movie was piecing things together. Its not time for Thanos just yet.

Superhero movies rely heavily on the coherent motivation of the prime antagonist which gives motivation for the protagonist(s) to act. In BvS the story was everywhere with lexes motivations. Batman was going on a wild goose chase for Superman and information on lex while lex strings him along (without ever mentioning it in the movie...you have to piece it together yourself). Superman is framed for two incidents and the man who is framing him now has his mother and needs him to kill his foe (aka I framed you twice and your still my bitch). Then we get to the ship (which is getting more attention later) and we knock the second plan which supersedes lexes original plan (which was never explained in the first place). By the end of the movie we know the death of superman paves way for the need for a Justice League to be formed helmed by Batman. They will therefore and obviously create the bulk of the dialogue for the next movie and Superman will just return as the muscle once shit hits the fan (which he obviously couldnt do in this movie).

If I am wrong about my pediction for the next movie, I will change my avatar to whatever you like for a month.

Hynad said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Says there that it needs 800 million to break even. To profit it would need to go beyond that. There is no agenda. What do I have to gain from all of this? You say its futile, but you're have a belief about this movie not having many issues when ive pointed out many. You have not plugged them and I doubt you can. Agreeing to disagree is all that can happen here. Im not trying to convince you to hate the movie. Im just discussing my issues with the film and you're taking it to the heart.

That's his assumptions, his estimate. Do you read what I write? Heck, did you actually read the link you provided? This number is taken from his ass. Not from anything official from WB. I don't believe there is issues with the movie that warrant such trashing of it. All the issues you pointed out are empty. Everything is in the movie explaining those. Or they're hint of what's to come in future movies. I can't find issues where I don't see any. I understood the movie fully, and found everything needed to explain what was going on and the character's motivations. The movie didn't spoon-fed its audience. A lot of the emotional aspects of the characters, for example, you don't have a character voicing exactly how he feels about something or why exactly he reacts a certain way. Yet with the elements found within the movie, it was enough for me to get them.

That you didn't really doesn't make the movie trash.

Also, Superman is still at the start of his "hero career", in a world where people aren't yet sure if they want him or not. He's not in a world where the actions of the superheroes  barely have concequences like you see in most Marvel movies (Oh! But all of a sudden, they now do in Civil War... -__-). They are grounding it with the "what if it happened on our real world" point of view as much as the superhero genre allows it. His challenge isn't only with who he has to physically fight. It's also against the very people he's trying to protect. He's doing these deeds while his motivations are constantly being questioned and actions put into scrutiny. As would happen if such a being existed for real. He is both feared by people who don't understand him, as well as worshipped by those he save or inspire. I think it is fairly normal for him to have his own doubts as well, given the situation and how early in his career this is all happening. He still has an inner battle to fight, and when he comes to term with it all, he'll be a more optimistic Superman. It's simply the route to get there, right now, yet people don't get that and expect a 2D representation of the character, because that is what they're used to see in most superhero movies. Paper-thin stereotypes with funny banter and one-liners.

In any case, I have no issues with the movie, other than the 30 minutes that was cut from it's intended lenght so it could get its targeted rating. It has nothing to do with the movie being a mess because it's quite far from one.

In the world of marvel the actions of superheroes do have consequences, but you dont see it because Fox has their plot material which ties the Xmen to the rest of the universe (making it easier to understand how people really feel). Then again...Marvel cant even use the term mutant. Civil War is essentially the straw that broke the camels back when it comes to public trust. The reason they are not treated like criminals because some of the superheroes are known celebrities, and the others work covertly for the government. People knew who the avengers were after the first conflit. Captain America meets a cop who doesnt trust him and eventually the cop has to choose between an alien or captain america...and chooses to side with Captain America after he saves his life. 

As for Superman...he still has not even come to grips with his own humanity in the script after thirty years of living on earth. The way they wrote the script he looks at people from the outside in rather than from the inside himself. Superman in the comics knows hes diffrent, but he knows the earth is his home not just some place he protects (his humanity is his primary conflict).

As I said, I will debate wtih you, but im not trying to convince you that your opinion is wrong. I appreciate it in all honesty. Im not as sensitive as others when it comes to debate.

as for the thirty minutes of extra tape we see where it leads. Truly it's an hour and a half extra but we will take what we can get. Whatever helps the cause of DC. I will still support them regardless because I am a comic book fan, period.

as per the budget it people have been talking about those costs for a while now. 

♐️

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nem said:

Face it, superman is an old and overpowered character. It is difficult to fit him in any story without ruining it.

And you know why? Spoiler, but he isn't really dead. The guy can't really be killed.

Everyone is tired of the old "mary sue" "goody two shoes" superman. He isn't relatable. The new portrayal shows him as a flawed human beeing. That is more realistic.

Neither is Captain America, but eventually Civil War makes him relatable. A goody two shoes who stands up for American values who then turns into American badass once the government tries to take threaten civil liberties.

Err... have you watched the movie yet? Cause we don't know the storyline.

All i saw from the trailer is that heroes were causing alot of destruction and need to be controled better and cap refused to that. I'm not sure he is in the right. We will have to see the final storyline.

Also... you know that in the comics he doesnt win right? Because he was in the wrong.

Nem said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Err... have you watched the movie yet? Cause we don't know the storyline.

All i saw from the trailer is that heroes were causing alot of destruction and need to be controled better and cap refused to that. I'm not sure he is in the right. We will have to see the final storyline.

Also... you know that in the comics he doesnt win right? Because he was in the wrong.

We know the primary gist as to where Captain America an iron man stand if you've read the comics. It doesnt matter who wins or loses except for the fact that Marvel is salvaging whats left of the storylines they have licenses to with more grace than studios that have all of the rights to their characters and stories. Personally, I think its cooler to let bucky go crazy and cause mayhem as a catalyst rather than nobodies causing the issues to start like the comics. Since Marvel has no rights to the Xmen franchise they need story that can test the philosophical depths between superheroes the civilization they live in and the conflict within and outside of themselves. This is what will be going on in civil war. I dont know what destruction you're talking about. The Marvel Universe has had far less destruction than DC. Lets not go there...shall we? Theres something called a perimeter and I doubt anyone in the DC comic universes know what that is. 

In the end...all they showed was the action. We all know Civil War is one of the more through provoking story archs in marvel lore when it comes to rights and human society. Much like Batman vs Superman, Civil War will take on the burden of having their superheroes question the extent of their power on earth and as it pertains to the people. The difference is it actually dealt with the depths of every superheroes idea of what is right or wrong when it comes to the needs of the public safety and individual human rights. They contemplate the difference between the philosophy of being a citizen or a protector.The right to your own identity rather than selling out who you are just to make the people safe. The decision is tough. Again....a much deeper plot than BVS...so ...yeah.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nem said: 

1.)We know the primary gist as to where Captain America an iron man stand if you've read the comics.  It doesnt matter who wins or loses except for the fact that Marvel is salvaging whats left of the storylines they have licenses to with more grace than studios that have all of the rights to their characters and stories. Personally, I think its cooler to let bucky go crazy and cause mayhem as a catalyst rather than nobodies causing the issues to start like the comics. Since Marvel has no rights to the Xmen franchise they need story that can test the philosophical depths between superheroes the civilization they live in and the conflict within and outside of themselves. This is what will be going on in civil war. 2.) I dont know what destruction you're talking about. The Marvel Universe has had far less destruction than DC. Lets not go there...shall we? Theres something called a perimeter and I doubt anyone in the DC comic universes know what that is. 

In the end...all they showed was the action. We all know Civil War is one of the more through provoking story archs in marvel lore when it comes to rights and human society. Much like Batman vs Superman, Civil War will take on the burden of having their superheroes question the extent of their power on earth and as it pertains to the people. The difference is it actually dealt with the depths of every superheroes idea of what is right or wrong when it comes to the needs of the public safety and individual human rights. They contemplate the difference between the philosophy of being a citizen or a protector.The right to your own identity rather than selling out who you are just to make the people safe. The decision is tough. Again....a much deeper plot than BVS...so ...yeah.

1.) I don't believe you've read the comics.  Not for a second.  If you did, you either

A.) don't remember what they were about or B.) didn't understand what they were about.

You think it's better for Bucky to go crazy and cause mayhem?  In the comics, it was a bunch of young heroes (The New Warriors aren't a "bunch of nobodies", either.  They've been around for decades!) who were undertrained.  They tried to stop some villains and blew up a school.  That was the final straw.  Before that, there were several storylines in which the public was losing its patience with all of the colllateral damage and heroes pretty much doing whatever they wanted in the Marvel Universe.  The point of Civil War in the comics was to either register with the government or become a felon.  Captain America wanted heroes to be able to keep their secret identity.  Iron Man wanted them to register.  It blew up from there.  Not sure what you thought it was about.  And, watching the trailer, I don't think the plot is "Bucky goes crazy and causes mayhem".  I have my guesses but I'm like 90% sure it's not what you think.

2.)  "You don't know what destruction Nem is talking about"?  Seriously, dude!?!  The destruction that Marvel THEMSELVES show in the Civil War TRAILER.  There is a whole part in the beginning of the trailer where they're showing the Avengers the damage from the first two Avengers movies and Winter Soldier.  Nobody is "going there" or comparing it to the DC Universe.  You seem to have selective memory and a need to attack DC comics!  Nobody said that Marvel caused more, less, or equal damage to the damage in Man of Steel or BvS.  Where did that reply even come from?Then, you go on to say that "all we've seen is action" but, at the same time tell us how deep the movie will be. 

I'm just going to go ahead and say it.  You don't like DC comics.  You like Marvel.  Nothing wrong with that.  The problem is, you can't accurately explain why you like Marvel over DC.  You don't read the comics from either, based on what I've seen here.  You forgive things that Marvel has done (ie: tossing everthing and the kitchen sink in Age of Ultron including a random scene tying into Thor 3, the creation of Vision , a relationship between Black Widow and Hulk that came out of nowhere, and a story that continued from Agents of Shield TV show) but criticize DC for doing the same thing.  You don't read the comics but you constantly try to use them as a crutch in your arguments.  You've done this throughout your thread and I'm going to start calling you out on it.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if you're just posting things to get a reaction out of DC comics fans.  I've said before, I like DC comics more but I've read thousands of Marvel Comics. I like them both.   If I post something, better believe I know what I'm talking about.