By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dark Souls III Review Thread - Meta: 90

Great reviews so far!

Around the Network

I hope that the game will be 90+ at the end!!!

Haven't played any dark souls games. Should get I get 1 and 2 before this or just get 3? I kinda wanna try them out (I liked lords of the fallen and apparently that's kinda like dark souls but I still need to beat that first)

trasharmdsister12 said:
Natsu said:
Haven't played any dark souls games. Should get I get 1 and 2 before this or just get 3? I kinda wanna try them out (I liked lords of the fallen and apparently that's kinda like dark souls but I still need to beat that first)

I just asked the same question. Maybe this warrants its own thread.  

I urge you to make it so we can leave this thread clean and others like us can more easily find an answer. 

Oh sorry I didn't see that post, I had this open like 10 minutes ago and I didn't refresh. 

Nautilus said:
My only gripe with the franchise, and a big one for me, is the storytelling in general. Why it needs to be so vague and unconclusive when everything is done so perfectly?

I agree with this to some extent. While I love figuring out the setting and story via the scraps you pick up and from the environment itself, it drives me nuts that your character doesn't seem to ask any questions of the NPCs, and they don't seem eager to give out much information. It's like you've got a great 6th gen game with nice 8th gen graphics and characters & storytelling from 3rd gen.

Around the Network

I bet the answer most will give is Dark Souls 1 as the best starting point. It's not the hardest, but also not the easiest. Once you learn the ropes - which will be a process, make no mistake - you'll be able to adapt to the other games pretty well, even the faster-paced latter titles.

Nautilus said:
Great news!Never played a Souls game, but having plaed Bloodborne, Im definely going to play DS 2 and 3.My only gripe with the franchise, and a big one for me, is the storytelling in general.Why it needs to be so vague and unconclusive when everything is done so perfectly?And its not that Fromsoftware cant tell a story.Eternal Ring is a PS2 game from them and it has a really good story.

There is a reason why the story isn't spoonfed to the player. You are supposed to be 'lost' in the world and there is no narrator or voice of god to guide you along. The story is there and can be infered by dialogue, reading item descriptions, seeing the locations and how they are built. Other than that you have plenty of lore videos online to help tie up loose ends, but still many things are left to interpretation.

If you enjoyed bloodborne chances are you'll enjoy both demons and dark souls, though I've been spoiled in a good way to bloodborne's combat system. I'm ready for DS3 and replayed DS2 recently, but it left me wanting a Bloodborne 2 so badly...

setsunatenshi said:
Nautilus said:
Great news!Never played a Souls game, but having plaed Bloodborne, Im definely going to play DS 2 and 3.My only gripe with the franchise, and a big one for me, is the storytelling in general.Why it needs to be so vague and unconclusive when everything is done so perfectly?And its not that Fromsoftware cant tell a story.Eternal Ring is a PS2 game from them and it has a really good story.

There is a reason why the story isn't spoonfed to the player. You are supposed to be 'lost' in the world and there is no narrator or voice of god to guide you along. The story is there and can be infered by dialogue, reading item descriptions, seeing the locations and how they are built. Other than that you have plenty of lore videos online to help tie up loose ends, but still many things are left to interpretation.

If you enjoyed bloodborne chances are you'll enjoy both demons and dark souls, though I've been spoiled in a good way to bloodborne's combat system. I'm ready for DS3 and replayed DS2 recently, but it left me wanting a Bloodborne 2 so badly...

I dont have problems with having to piece the story together.Actually, when thats done properly, makes the game story and presentation in general much better.The problem that I have with the storytelling with it(only played bloodborne, but from what I heard, its a problem with the franchise in general) is that it dosent tell everything.Even if you hunt for every scrap of information, there will still be story pieces, important ones, left missing untold.And I dont mean to offend you, but that "its left to interpretation" is just lazyness and/or bad writing.I mean, if its done to a very specific part of the game that you fell that enriches the plot(for example: at the end of the game, after you defeat the final boss, the game leaves up in the air if the main protagonist survived the battle or not.That is acceptable in my opinion).Other than that, its simply wrong, because you end up telling no story at all, or even worse, a story full of holes that just infuriates you.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
setsunatenshi said:

I dont have problems with having to piece the story together.Actually, when thats done properly, makes the game story and presentation in general much better.The problem that I have with the storytelling with it(only played bloodborne, but from what I heard, its a problem with the franchise in general) is that it dosent tell everything.Even if you hunt for every scrap of information, there will still be story pieces, important ones, left missing untold.And I dont mean to offend you, but that "its left to interpretation" is just lazyness and/or bad writing.I mean, if its done to a very specific part of the game that you fell that enriches the plot(for example: at the end of the game, after you defeat the final boss, the game leaves up in the air if the main protagonist survived the battle or not.That is acceptable in my opinion).Other than that, its simply wrong, because you end up telling no story at all, or even worse, a story full of holes that just infuriates you.

did you play the old hunters DLC? i think it would help you tie some loose ends you may have left wondering. the story really is told in a very subtle way, like for example the doll and how she connects to a certain character from the dlc. there's plenty of stuff you probably missed if you went through the game only once for example (not saying you did, just speculating).

perhaps you'd really enjoy the lore videos online because some connections are made through a lot of work from the community, and I can tell you the feeling of discovering new things every now and then really can make you feel really good. I can tell you that in Dark Souls, having 2 (now 3) games to carry the world does make for an amazing sense of continuity. The lore is a lot more fleshed out now, and I imagine with the 3rd game everything should become quite clear at the end. If one of your main sources of frustration was a lack of classic game narrative don't feel bad about searching the story online, pretty much the wikia on any of those games will give you as much detail on every single item, character or event as you'll ever want to know.

so yeah, I think you've got quite a few amazing games to enjoy if you'll really want to :)

TruckOSaurus said:
Nautilus said:

did you play the old hunters DLC? i think it would help you tie some loose ends you may have left wondering. the story really is told in a very subtle way, like for example the doll and how she connects to a certain character from the dlc. there's plenty of stuff you probably missed if you went through the game only once for example (not saying you did, just speculating).

perhaps you'd really enjoy the lore videos online because some connections are made through a lot of work from the community, and I can tell you the feeling of discovering new things every now and then really can make you feel really good. I can tell you that in Dark Souls, having 2 (now 3) games to carry the world does make for an amazing sense of continuity. The lore is a lot more fleshed out now, and I imagine with the 3rd game everything should become quite clear at the end. If one of your main sources of frustration was a lack of classic game narrative don't feel bad about searching the story online, pretty much the wikia on any of those games will give you as much detail on every single item, character or event as you'll ever want to know.

so yeah, I think you've got quite a few amazing games to enjoy if you'll really want to :)

Not sure who wrote this message originally but if you make yourself known I'll reattribute it to you. I screwed up trying to make a quick fix. Everything should be alright now.

Signature goes here!