By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dark Souls III Review Thread - Meta: 90

TruckOSaurus said:
Nautilus said:

I dont have problems with having to piece the story together.Actually, when thats done properly, makes the game story and presentation in general much better.The problem that I have with the storytelling with it(only played bloodborne, but from what I heard, its a problem with the franchise in general) is that it dosent tell everything.Even if you hunt for every scrap of information, there will still be story pieces, important ones, left missing untold.And I dont mean to offend you, but that "its left to interpretation" is just lazyness and/or bad writing.I mean, if its done to a very specific part of the game that you fell that enriches the plot(for example: at the end of the game, after you defeat the final boss, the game leaves up in the air if the main protagonist survived the battle or not.That is acceptable in my opinion).Other than that, its simply wrong, because you end up telling no story at all, or even worse, a story full of holes that just infuriates you.

did you play the old hunters DLC? i think it would help you tie some loose ends you may have left wondering. the story really is told in a very subtle way, like for example the doll and how she connects to a certain character from the dlc. there's plenty of stuff you probably missed if you went through the game only once for example (not saying you did, just speculating).

perhaps you'd really enjoy the lore videos online because some connections are made through a lot of work from the community, and I can tell you the feeling of discovering new things every now and then really can make you feel really good. I can tell you that in Dark Souls, having 2 (now 3) games to carry the world does make for an amazing sense of continuity. The lore is a lot more fleshed out now, and I imagine with the 3rd game everything should become quite clear at the end. If one of your main sources of frustration was a lack of classic game narrative don't feel bad about searching the story online, pretty much the wikia on any of those games will give you as much detail on every single item, character or event as you'll ever want to know.

so yeah, I think you've got quite a few amazing games to enjoy if you'll really want to :)

Im assuming it was satsunatenshi that wrote this.Anyways...

Yeah, I didnt play The Old Hunters DLC, and its good to know that it answers some questions.But I personally dont like to go hunting for answers online.Unless I either didnt understand something that was said in the game, or I just completely missed it.I dont know, maybe its because im more old-fashioned with story telling, but I like having the story being told entirely on the game(be it spooned or not), and not having to hunt for it online.It breaks the immersion for me.I dont mind if the story elements are just cleared in the latter games, at least it needs to be at some point.

Well either way, they are excellent games and I will be certainly enjoying them in the future!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

The biggest problems these games have, in my opinion, are the endings. They're unsatisfactory, anticlimatic and pose more questions than answers. It doesn't have a nice pay-off to the player; you're just left wondering.

I wish I had the time and energy to play this, still have to start Bloodborne.
With these games it always feels like it's not satisfactory to play for short amounts of time. A great feature for games like this would be an automatically generated recap of what you were doing last time!

Hmm, 90 is definitely a bit lower than I expected.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

I think it's funny how pissed people get when their new favorite game gets a "low" score of 7.

Around the Network
Versus_Evil said:

....... Why am i not fucking surprised that its a click baiting trash blog like Polygon giving it a low score.

" its world design, its pacing, the technology powering it — Dark Souls 3 falls short of the mark. Do you play for the joy and stress of exploring dangerous, intricately crafted places full of hidden elements and endless side paths? Then I suspect you'll join me in being a little let down with the direction this sequel has gone in"

ive put 93 hrs into the game and i cant disagree more with this idiot.

My own raiting is 9.5. 

for a second i thought you meant 9.5/100.

I was going to say, who puts 93 hours into a game you'd give a rating under 10?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Skratchy said:
I think it's funny how pissed people get when their new favorite game gets a "low" score of 7.

"I feel very insecure about my personal interests, so I need others to appreciate 100% of everything I like in order to feel happy"

The user was moderated for this post - VXIII.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Nautilus said:
TruckOSaurus said:

did you play the old hunters DLC? i think it would help you tie some loose ends you may have left wondering. the story really is told in a very subtle way, like for example the doll and how she connects to a certain character from the dlc. there's plenty of stuff you probably missed if you went through the game only once for example (not saying you did, just speculating).

perhaps you'd really enjoy the lore videos online because some connections are made through a lot of work from the community, and I can tell you the feeling of discovering new things every now and then really can make you feel really good. I can tell you that in Dark Souls, having 2 (now 3) games to carry the world does make for an amazing sense of continuity. The lore is a lot more fleshed out now, and I imagine with the 3rd game everything should become quite clear at the end. If one of your main sources of frustration was a lack of classic game narrative don't feel bad about searching the story online, pretty much the wikia on any of those games will give you as much detail on every single item, character or event as you'll ever want to know.

so yeah, I think you've got quite a few amazing games to enjoy if you'll really want to :)

Im assuming it was satsunatenshi that wrote this.Anyways...

Yeah, I didnt play The Old Hunters DLC, and its good to know that it answers some questions.But I personally dont like to go hunting for answers online.Unless I either didnt understand something that was said in the game, or I just completely missed it.I dont know, maybe its because im more old-fashioned with story telling, but I like having the story being told entirely on the game(be it spooned or not), and not having to hunt for it online.It breaks the immersion for me.I dont mind if the story elements are just cleared in the latter games, at least it needs to be at some point.

Well either way, they are excellent games and I will be certainly enjoying them in the future!

I'm the same way. I find that when a game doesn't have a story or it's not very good that I get bored of it regardless of how good the game is as far as gameplay. It's Happened to me with Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne. Both games were really fun as far as gameplay goes but like always I got bored and just stopped playing. That's why I always wait till these games are super cheap like $20 or less that way I do get my money's worth out of them.

hm.. pretty good chances it drops below 90 as early reviews usually are higher than later ones

I just finished Bloodborne (for the 3rd time to get the platinum), just in time for DS3 :)

90 sounds about right. Reading some of the reviews it sounds like a lot of fun (though Polygon are a bit harsh, perhaps...) Can't wait to get started!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.