By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Wyrdness said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

The CPU, as suggested, would add nothing to the cost, and would be similar to what Sony eventually reached.

Explain how exactly you worked that out because all components add costs? You keep mentioning Sony who dropped adding the hardware to reduce costs, that contradicts you.

No, Sony dropped the GPU but kept the CPU. That is the exact scenario I'm suggesting for NX.

Around the Network

The whole AMD/DMP thing doesn't make sense.

These are two different companies with completely different architectures, the DMP chip is nothing like the Polaris chip (even setting architecture aside), any more than the 3DS chip is similar to the Wii U chip.

This is just SMD64's wishful thinking, it certainly wouldn't be a cohesive ecosystem of any type, not any more than Vita and PS4 are (for example). iPad and iPhone are a central ecosystem because they basically use the same family of processors (A9 and A9X for example made by the same company, basically the same chip just scaled up or down a bit).

The home console is solid, and that is the important thing. DS, 3DS, hell even GBA and GB were all weak hardware, and made with low costs in mind. Tegra for a handheld would be awesome. But I didn't like it when it was supposedly the only thing happening. Nintendo needs to be a part of the home console business.

TheLastStarFighter said:

-PS3 included both GPU and CPU of PS2 initially; they later removed the GPU to reduce costs. We're only talking about including the Wii U CPU here.

I think you have it backwards.  The Emotion Engine (PS2 CPU) and Graphics Synthesizer (PS2 GPU) were both included on one chip in the first run of PS3 models (CECHA/CECHB).  Two later models (CECHC/CECHE) got rid of the Emotion Engine (CPU), but kept the Graphics Synthesizer (GPU) and ran PS2 games through software emulation.  The Graphics Synthesizer (GPU) chip was the one required to run PS2 games.  Models thereafter got rid of both.

Wyrdness said:
JEMC said:

I use AMD because of the wording of that tweet. AMD is the CPU manufacturer that makes processors consisting of 1 module with several (2) cores, every other CPU manufacturer simply calls them dual core, quad core, six core, etc. Because all this discussion revolves around that tweet and how it's written.

And trust me, I'm the last one that wants an hybrid console. But that doesn't mean that Nintendo can't share the hardware between their home and handheld consoles to a degree, in order to share the library among both devices.

Think of, and I'm going to use the tweet again, a handheld featuring one module with three cores and the home console having the two modules that would make it twice as powerful (or even more as it could have the cores clocked higher) to deal with the extra demands of running at higher resolutions. And for the GPU, both devices could share the same architecture but with a different set of shaders.

That would grant Nintendo and any other dev/publisher the ability to develop one game for one machine and "easily" port the game to the other one, increasing their target install base. Nintendo already did that with Smash Bros, with success, and the ports they announced from Wii/Wii U to 3DS shows that Nintendo isn't affraid to follow that path.

No dude you're mixing in other rumours with this one and that's the problem, this isn't a hybrid it's two devices working a concept, this is present when the claim says NX isn't replacing 3DS and that the portable component is bare bones, the tweet flat out says this CPU and GPU is the home console component (that's what the HC stands for) so the whole spread out across both devices angle you're pushing is shot down straight away this is why I'm saying read the information again and read all of the tweets while keeping other rumours separate.

The fact that it's claimed the portable side is bare bones suggests it would not be playing full console or even 3DS level games on the go unless the is a streaming element, it suggests the actual handheld platform that shares the library is still to come possibly in 2018. The tweet is written in how the person owning the account has written it unless you're saying they're part of AMD, what other manufacturers call it doesn't really matter because this isn't a manufacturer writing this information.

I'm only using the info we've heard so far, and that means going back to use all the rumors about NX that we've gone through. After all, all this Ruby info is nothing more than a new, unproven, rumor and as the title of this thread clearly says, this thread is about all the NX rumors.

If you, because you like what he/she's saying, want to give Ruby more credibility than the other rumors, it's perfectly ok, but that doesn't mean that the rest of us have to do it too and can't compare what he/she is saying with the previous rumors.

bunchanumbers said:
Darc Requiem said:

Putting in hardware for BC wouldn't make sense without a disc drive. It would be a better to engineer a software emulation solution. 

Indeed. The gap between NX and Wii U is bigger than 360/X1, and MS found a way to pull it off. Nintendo should be able to reach it too.

How do you know how big is the gap between NX and Wii U if we don't know any REAL info about NX?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

So Ruby's been shut down and all traces of her existence removed. I think that means she was legit.

TheLastStarFighter said:
So Ruby's been shut down and all traces of her existence removed. I think that means she was legit.

Or that he/she has already spread enough fud and so his/her work is done .

Meanwhile another rumor says that NX could be called Nintendo Duo:

http://wccftech.com/nintendo-nx-final-name-nintendo-duo-rumor/

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

TheLastStarFighter said:

Yup! I look forward to the 3.6TF NX home console.

...Nintendo Duo...
That is not bad at all. I could go with that :).

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Nintendo Duo... I dunno, it really reminds me of the DS; Dual Screen. It's kinda treading the same old trail there

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.