By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
JEMC said:

If it were a six core CPU, then it would be described as a six core CPU, not "Dual 3 Core Modules".

The way it's written, it looks like a pair of tri-core CPUs working together, like the Jaguar cores of PS4/X1 that consist of two 4-core processors working together.

I think you need to look up CPUs again mate because as pointed out AMD have done CPUs with modules it's not unlike them in fact it's quite common, the wording is not hard to work out either it highlights one CPU with dual modules housing 3 cores each.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:

Your logic with BOTW is bizzare.

But with the CPU thing, what I'm talking about is, for example, like what PS3 did with PS2:  the whole chip was included in early models.  This "dual CPU" thing could the Wii U CPU, as well as a new, significantly more powerful 3-core CPU.  The older Wii U chip could handle some tasks for new games, but also provide full emulation.

There is motivation for Nintendo to do this beyond Wii U games.  They've already got a lot of Wii games and other back-catelogue titles working on that system.  If Nintendo wants to fully tap into their library, they should have as many games working as soon as possible and with as little staff effort as possible.

As far as the GPU having 3+ Flops, that's kinda irrelevant to what the CPU does.

Look how expensive the PS3 was at launch, that exactly proves my point as only launch model PS3s have PS2 hardware in them as Sony dropped the approach to help cut costs, in the UK PS3 was £425, the Wii U CPU can't just be thrown in to help with new games either because it is old hardware conceived in 2010 it would become a hinderance in 2017 and beyond because it's not tailored to deal with more modern tasks. The programming for it would be problematic as well as it was designed for a different ecosystem, software emulation would be a better option and cut hardware costs.

BC is not a selling point of a platform it's just a complimentary feature and always has been as people don't intend to buy new consoles to play games of a previous console this is why PS4 isn't that phased not having it, only games that would be a priority to port would be the ones I mentioned as they have active communities that will be more of a benefit to help migrate. Other than that NX differentiating itself from the Wii brand won't be helped if the first wave of games are all Wii and Wii U ports considering NX is a departue from the brand, Wii and Wii U games aren't going to sell NX only ground up NX games will do that.

Finally yes the GPU being 3+ Flops is relelvant as it not only indicates high end costs so they can't afford to randomly throw in an extra CPU want if true but the type of GPU has an impact on what the CPU maybe handling during a game depending on its features, at that performance level the hardware could emulate Wii U with out the need of extra hardware thrown in. PS4 went for more high end costs but cut out the addition of BC components and sold at a slight loss to obtain its competitive price point and they're a bigger company mind you.

Darc Requiem said:
JEMC said:

If it were a six core CPU, then it would be described as a six core CPU, not "Dual 3 Core Modules".

The way it's written, it looks like a pair of tri-core CPUs working together, like the Jaguar cores of PS4/X1 that consist of two 4-core processors working together.

Not necessarily. An AMD FX8300 is an octocore processor with four modules. Each module contains 2 cores. 

But those are not full cores. It's the problem of the Bulldozer architecture, that each module has some parts that make it act like two cores, like the Integer Cores, but it also shares some resources like the Decoder that greatly limit the performance of each core.

In any case, the tweet says "Dual 3 Core Modules", which implies two groups of three cores, and AMD hasn't produced 3 core designs modules. Therefore, or the wording of the tweet is wrong, should be "Three 2 Core Modules" and we're arguing about nothing, or the wording is right and it's not based on any known AMD x86 processor.

Wyrdness said:
JEMC said:

I think you need to look up CPUs again mate because as pointed out AMD have done CPUs with modules it's not unlike them, the wording is not hard to work out either it highlights one CPU with dual modules housing 3 cores each.

Modules with two cores, but not with three cores. That's a very big redesign or customisation to make just for a console.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Darc Requiem said:

Not necessarily. An AMD FX8300 is an octocore processor with four modules. Each module contains 2 cores. 

But those are not full cores. It's the problem of the Bulldozer architecture, that each module has some parts that make it act like two cores, like the Integer Cores, but it also shares some resources like the Decoder that greatly limit the performance of each core.

In any case, the tweet says "Dual 3 Core Modules", which implies two groups of three cores, and AMD hasn't produced 3 core designs modules. Therefore, or the wording of the tweet is wrong, should be "Three 2 Core Modules" and we're arguing about nothing, or the wording is right and it's not based on any known AMD x86 processor.

Wyrdness said:

I think you need to look up CPUs again mate because as pointed out AMD have done CPUs with modules it's not unlike them, the wording is not hard to work out either it highlights one CPU with dual modules housing 3 cores each.

Modules with two cores, but not with three cores. That's a very big redesign or customisation to make just for a console.

The CPU in Wii U was custom made in a 3 way collaboration so why would a custom one being in NX seem odd? NX is looking to not be a standard console in its concept, as it goes the wording shows a CPU with 2 modules and 6 cores likely another collaboration like before.

Wyrdness said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
In the Wii U, I think it had 3 cores but one core does most of the work. The dual-3-core set up, if true, could be something designed to enable ease of backward compatibility. An older 3-core system working with something more modern or mainstream than the Power PC they've been using.

Thing is I don't think NX will be BC mainly due to how it required its own version of BOTW, if it does have BC it may be through emulation of some sort as having the hardware in the platform bumps costs up and Iwata noted that NX's ecosystem used Wii U as a base. Under what Ruby is claiming in order to bring out the platform they're bringing they've had to make compromises like having a smaller storage (although it'll very likely support external storage like the Wii U and it obviously won't have mandatory installs), all of this is to minimize costs and price.

I don't think hardware BC should be a priority either and I agree that the more economical approach would be to slowly port each Wii U exclusive over and integrate them into Nintendo's virtual library.  It shouldn't be as intimidating as it sounds considering that they only have around 20 games on the Wii U that are worth putting on there and most of them aren't exactly large-scale games.

Around the Network
wombat123 said:
Wyrdness said:

Thing is I don't think NX will be BC mainly due to how it required its own version of BOTW, if it does have BC it may be through emulation of some sort as having the hardware in the platform bumps costs up and Iwata noted that NX's ecosystem used Wii U as a base. Under what Ruby is claiming in order to bring out the platform they're bringing they've had to make compromises like having a smaller storage (although it'll very likely support external storage like the Wii U and it obviously won't have mandatory installs), all of this is to minimize costs and price.

I don't think hardware BC should be a priority either and I agree that the more economical approach would be to slowly port each Wii U exclusive over and integrate them into Nintendo's virtual library.  It shouldn't be as intimidating as it sounds considering that they only have around 20 games on the Wii U that are worth putting on there and most of them aren't exactly large-scale games.

That's kind of how I see it as well provided the claim is true, it's a nice feature to have but I can see it being dropped if it requires extra hardware.

Wyrdness said:
JEMC said:

The CPU in Wii U was custom made in a 3 way collaboration so why would a custom one being in NX seem odd? NX is looking to not be a standard console in its concept, as it goes the wording shows a CPU with 2 modules and 6 cores likely another collaboration like before.

Wii U's CPU was basically the Wii CPU multiplied by three, and that's ok because they were IBM processors and they were all 1 module, 1 core.

AMD doesn't make that kind of processors... unless you think that Nintendo will go with a Zen processor. So (and this is always assuming that those specs are true, something that we don't know), NX CPU is either based on IBM, ARM or Zen.

And of those three options, ARM is the best one if NX has some kind of hybrid functionality. And with the right combination of processors, for example 4 big ones with another 2 LITTLE ones, it could still be more powerful than the Jaguar ones of PS4/X1 in home console mode, and with the CPU configured with two modules of a pair of big ones plus a small one, one of those modules can be turned off in handheld mode to improve battery life.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Wii U's CPU was basically the Wii CPU multiplied by three, and that's ok because they were IBM processors and they were all 1 module, 1 core.

AMD doesn't make that kind of processors... unless you think that Nintendo will go with a Zen processor. So (and this is always assuming that those specs are true, something that we don't know), NX CPU is either based on IBM, ARM or Zen.

And of those three options, ARM is the best one if NX has some kind of hybrid functionality. And with the right combination of processors, for example 4 big ones with another 2 LITTLE ones, it could still be more powerful than the Jaguar ones of PS4/X1 in home console mode, and with the CPU configured with two modules of a pair of big ones plus a small one, one of those modules can be turned off in handheld mode to improve battery life.

You're the one who keeps arguing about AMD and brought them up to begin with so AMD not making it still doesn't change anything any of us were saying, NX isn't even a hybrid going the very same rumour we're currently discussing I don't think you've gone over all the information people here are looking at.

Wyrdness said:
JEMC said:

You're the one who keeps arguing about AMD and brought them up to begin with so AMD not making it still doesn't change anything any of us were saying, NX isn't even a hybrid going the very same rumour we're currently discussing I don't think you've gone over all the information people here are looking at.

I use AMD because of the wording of that tweet. AMD is the CPU manufacturer that makes processors consisting of 1 module with several (2) cores, every other CPU manufacturer simply calls them dual core, quad core, six core, etc. Because all this discussion revolves around that tweet and how it's written.

And trust me, I'm the last one that wants an hybrid console. But that doesn't mean that Nintendo can't share the hardware between their home and handheld consoles to a degree, in order to share the library among both devices.

Think of, and I'm going to use the tweet again, a handheld featuring one module with three cores and the home console having the two modules that would make it twice as powerful (or even more as it could have the cores clocked higher) to deal with the extra demands of running at higher resolutions. And for the GPU, both devices could share the same architecture but with a different set of shaders.

That would grant Nintendo and any other dev/publisher the ability to develop one game for one machine and "easily" port the game to the other one, increasing their target install base. Nintendo already did that with Smash Bros, with success, and the ports they announced from Wii/Wii U to 3DS shows that Nintendo isn't affraid to follow that path.

JEMC said:

I use AMD because of the wording of that tweet. AMD is the CPU manufacturer that makes processors consisting of 1 module with several (2) cores, every other CPU manufacturer simply calls them dual core, quad core, six core, etc. Because all this discussion revolves around that tweet and how it's written.

And trust me, I'm the last one that wants an hybrid console. But that doesn't mean that Nintendo can't share the hardware between their home and handheld consoles to a degree, in order to share the library among both devices.

Think of, and I'm going to use the tweet again, a handheld featuring one module with three cores and the home console having the two modules that would make it twice as powerful (or even more as it could have the cores clocked higher) to deal with the extra demands of running at higher resolutions. And for the GPU, both devices could share the same architecture but with a different set of shaders.

That would grant Nintendo and any other dev/publisher the ability to develop one game for one machine and "easily" port the game to the other one, increasing their target install base. Nintendo already did that with Smash Bros, with success, and the ports they announced from Wii/Wii U to 3DS shows that Nintendo isn't affraid to follow that path.

No dude you're mixing in other rumours with this one and that's the problem, this isn't a hybrid it's two devices working a concept, this is present when the claim says NX isn't replacing 3DS and that the portable component is bare bones, the tweet flat out says this CPU and GPU is the home console component (that's what the HC stands for) so the whole spread out across both devices angle you're pushing is shot down straight away this is why I'm saying read the information again and read all of the tweets while keeping other rumours separate.

The fact that it's claimed the portable side is bare bones suggests it would not be playing full console or even 3DS level games on the go unless the is a streaming element, it suggests the actual handheld platform that shares the library is still to come possibly in 2018. The tweet is written in how the person owning the account has written it unless you're saying they're part of AMD, what other manufacturers call it doesn't really matter because this isn't a manufacturer writing this information.