By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
TheLastStarFighter said:
In the Wii U, I think it had 3 cores but one core does most of the work. The dual-3-core set up, if true, could be something designed to enable ease of backward compatibility. An older 3-core system working with something more modern or mainstream than the Power PC they've been using.

Thing is I don't think NX will be BC mainly due to how it required its own version of BOTW, if it does have BC it may be through emulation of some sort as having the hardware in the platform bumps costs up and Iwata noted that NX's ecosystem used Wii U as a base. Under what Ruby is claiming in order to bring out the platform they're bringing they've had to make compromises like having a smaller storage (although it'll very likely support external storage like the Wii U and it obviously won't have mandatory installs), all of this is to minimize costs and price.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
bunchanumbers said:

So would this be more efficient vs the 8 jaguar cores the Xbox One and PS4 use? You know how the talk goes. Moar cores and all that jazz.

Number of cores doesn't really mean something is better much like clock speed doen't mean one CPU is better than another, being more modern it's very likely that the rumoured CPU is already more efficient and better, the CPUs in X1 and PS4 weren't really that good to begin with regardless as the Jaguar family were more used for tablets, mini PCs and mobile.

Given that AMD doesn't make 3-core CPUs anymore, that would suggest either an IBM processor or an ARM one. That last option seems the more likely, with the only doubt of the configuration, 2 big plus 1 little cores? Or is it the other way around?

And that configuration, if true, could work for an hybrid device: in handheld mode only one tri-core module works, and in home console mode it's both of them that power on.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Wyrdness said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
In the Wii U, I think it had 3 cores but one core does most of the work. The dual-3-core set up, if true, could be something designed to enable ease of backward compatibility. An older 3-core system working with something more modern or mainstream than the Power PC they've been using.

Thing is I don't think NX will be BC mainly due to how it required its own version of BOTW, if it does have BC it may be through emulation of some sort as having the hardware in the platform bumps costs up and Iwata noted that NX's ecosystem used Wii U as a base. Under what Ruby is claiming in order to bring out the platform they're bringing they've had to make compromises like having a smaller storage (although it'll very likely support external storage like the Wii U and it obviously won't have mandatory installs), all of this is to minimize costs and price.

Iwata said that NX would have to absorb the Wii U architecture.  That might be through emulation, but it could also be through an actual included chip as other systems have done in the past.   Since Wii U sold horribly, there is probably a good business case for Nintendo to port most if not all of the software to NX as quickly as possible.  There could be an argument for including the physical hardwre in some form.

With BOTW, they never said it "required its own version".  They said it will get its own version, which will be the same game experience with better visuals.  Pretty standard, but gives no indication of different architecture, only better performance.

JEMC said:
Wyrdness said:

Number of cores doesn't really mean something is better much like clock speed doen't mean one CPU is better than another, being more modern it's very likely that the rumoured CPU is already more efficient and better, the CPUs in X1 and PS4 weren't really that good to begin with regardless as the Jaguar family were more used for tablets, mini PCs and mobile.

Given that AMD doesn't make 3-core CPUs anymore, that would suggest either an IBM processor or an ARM one. That last option seems the more likely, with the only doubt of the configuration, 2 big plus 1 little cores? Or is it the other way around?

And that configuration, if true, could work for an hybrid device: in handheld mode only one tri-core module works, and in home console mode it's both of them that power on.

I think you didn't read the information correctly it's not a 3 core CPU it's a 6 core one.

Iwata said :

“It will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture,”
“It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. "

I think he would to speak about streaming gaming and ARM integrate in cpu...

"When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.”

Iwata is speaking about 2 consoles...

So that could be a home console with a ARM integrate in cpu for read handheld devices games.... And handheld devices could receive streaming from home console, so we can play home console games on handheld devices

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
Wyrdness said:

Iwata said that NX would have to absorb the Wii U architecture.  That might be through emulation, but it could also be through an actual included chip as other systems have done in the past.   Since Wii U sold horribly, there is probably a good business case for Nintendo to port most if not all of the software to NX as quickly as possible.  There could be an argument for including the physical hardwre in some form.

With BOTW, they never said it "required its own version".  They said it will get its own version, which will be the same game experience with better visuals.  Pretty standard, but gives no indication of different architecture, only better performance.

Other systems in the past aren't like what Ruby is claiming, this is a 3.6 terraflop machine she is claiming, that means the tech is on par with PS4 Pro so including extra chips for BC would serve to bump up costs that need to be reduced for the sake of price and possible loss per sale. The only ports Nintendo would want desperately from Wii U would be Smash and Mario Maker tbh everything else they can bring the next installment in.

BOTW getting it's own version is an indicator that it required its own version, TP on Wii had this due to interface and that was ported over with no visual improvement at all, because the experience of BOTW is the same on NX this tells me BC could be in question as clearly the interface is not a problem.

Wyrdness said:
JEMC said:

I think you didn't read the information correctly it's not a 3 core CPU it's a 6 core one.

If it were a six core CPU, then it would be described as a six core CPU, not "Dual 3 Core Modules".

The way it's written, it looks like a pair of tri-core CPUs working together, like the Jaguar cores of PS4/X1 that consist of two 4-core processors working together.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Wyrdness said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Other systems in the past aren't like what Ruby is claiming, this is a 3.6 terraflop machine she is claiming, that means the tech is on par with PS4 Pro so including extra chips for BC would serve to bump up costs that need to be reduced for the sake of price and possible loss per sale. The only ports Nintendo would want desperately from Wii U would be Smash and Mario Maker tbh everything else they can bring the next installment in.

BOTW getting it's own version is an indicator that it required its own version, TP on Wii had this due to interface and that was ported over with no visual improvement at all, because the experience of BOTW is the same on NX this tells me BC could be in question as clearly the interface is not a problem.

Your logic with BOTW is bizzare.

But with the CPU thing, what I'm talking about is, for example, like what PS3 did with PS2:  the whole chip was included in early models.  This "dual CPU" thing could the Wii U CPU, as well as a new, significantly more powerful 3-core CPU.  The older Wii U chip could handle some tasks for new games, but also provide full emulation.

There is motivation for Nintendo to do this beyond Wii U games.  They've already got a lot of Wii games and other back-catelogue titles working on that system.  If Nintendo wants to fully tap into their library, they should have as many games working as soon as possible and with as little staff effort as possible.

As far as the GPU having 3+ Flops, that's kinda irrelevant to what the CPU does.

I hope the NX isn't horribly compromised by trying to have backwards compatibility. Nintendo need to focus on producing something with decent performance and if necessary they will need to emulate for compatibility with older systems which might have to exclude the wii u.

Nintendo need to make faultless decisions. The wii u was a big flop, the wii left a bad taste for many and developers and publishers have failed to get decent returns on their products for Nintendo in the past. The NX could be a make or break product and needs to get pretty much everything right to get everyone on board and consumers buying it.

JEMC said:
Wyrdness said:

If it were a six core CPU, then it would be described as a six core CPU, not "Dual 3 Core Modules".

The way it's written, it looks like a pair of tri-core CPUs working together, like the Jaguar cores of PS4/X1 that consist of two 4-core processors working together.

Not necessarily. An AMD FX8300 is an octocore processor with four modules. Each module contains 2 cores.