By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4.5 PRICE, RELEASE DATE! - The Know (RUMOUR?)

Still have my doubts, but am interested in this..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
MortienGerrux said:
As others have said, this may only be the first upgrade PS4 gets throughout its life. We could possibly see another upgrade around 2019 or 2020. Like I said above, the tech is just not advancing fast enough to make actual generational leaps in the tradition console cycle, so these performance tiers are a nessesity. I don't expect to see a true PS5 on a radically new architecture until at least 2024, because, CPU, GPU, RAM, and SSD tech will not be advanced enough for a full leap to 4K until then. At that point 4K VR will be the norm and 8K TV's will be starting to ramp up.

2024? By that time, a smartwatch will be more powerful then the current PS4.

That may be a little bit of a stretch, but it is also why these incremental upgrades have to made between then and now. Sony can have the PS4K hit the shelves this year for $399 while current PS4 PS4 drops to $299 with sales brining it to $249 during the holiday rush. Next year 2017 we can see the release of the PS4 slim which will be the OG PS4 repackaged in a small form factor, and retailing for $249. In 2018 Sony can drop the price of the PS4K down to $349, and offer $199 and $299 holiday deals. Then in 2019, the PS4 Spec 3 is released at $399, the PS4 Spec 2 drop to $299 permenent, and the PS4 Spec 1 goes to $199. 

With this Sony continues to offer the Core community and new comers fresh hardware options, with up to date tech, while also letting people choose to save money and go for a low end box for a second room, or to replace a worn out unit.

My guess is that the next generation of consoles will be in late 2018 or early 2019 when Nvidia Volta/Next-Gen AMD arhictecture releases.

The problem with that is those new chips are not a significant enough upgrade to justify a whole new generation of consoles. They don't even equate to half the jump we saw between PS3 and PS4. The same can be said about the CPU and the RAM as well, a true next gen console needs to have at least 128GB of RAM to see the same leap we have seen in every PS generation so far. Additionally SSD tech is still not cheap enough to put in a console, and that is going to be a good part of the baseline for and new generation console, because it is going to require that type of read write speeds as a standard to achive truly next level games on both VR an traditional gaming. 

Of course if console gaming still exist in the future, with mobile gaming and PC gaming taking over...

Consoles arn't going anywhere, but the traditional console business model is dead. Devices like the Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV Box, and Roku are all gaming platforms as well. PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo are all targeting the same market as these devices. They are also targeting the Cable and Satellite box industry as well. All of these devices are fighting for that position under the TV, and that is a place that PC towers are never going to hold a large market.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

FIT_Gamer said:
Swordmasterman said:

Maybe Sony, is taking losses to sell it for 400US$

Yeah a loss of 100%. I't won't be a 4K gaming console. I still don't understand how anyone thinks it will be. More likely a Slim model with 4K video streaming, and possibly slightly more optimized. 4K just doesn't make sense right now, majority don't even own 4K tvs and the currently model of PSVR couldn't even take advantage of 4K. 

Probably because plenty around here will pretend to know something about hardware capabilities relative to price. A 800 USD box at cost to Sony and selling for 400 is a stretch on playing 4k. Very, very few games would run competently. I imagine only less intensive games would be able to pull it off. They won't be seeing Bloodbourne or any AAA title for that matter run at 4k.

PS4.5, if it is true, is a completely new console not an upgrade. Meaning the costs would be like making a budget build 4k gaming rig from scratch. Obviously Sony can get it together for a little cheaper but it wont be by such large sums that 4k gaming will be competently viable for a low price of 400 USD taking a loss or not... It's also very unlikely Sony will take a loss at all, given the strategy with the PS4 in the first place was to sell the hardware at a profit. Which they did. Taking 400 USD+ loss per unit is just eyeroll worthy, not even the PS3 lost that much and far as the hardware ambitions they had was a failure because they had no choice but to take even bigger losses to stay competitive. Edit - I agree with you pretty much. lol

I do suspect that going forward the intentions and also what Publishers will do... Is that Sony is going to try and place it in a range that makes VR more viable for publishers to design into their games as an added feature. In other words it would be something like... Just an example.

PSVR 60-90 FPS min req's...

PS4.5 capable of running that 30-60, 1080p (likely better textures, shadows ect...)

PS4, 30-60 900-1080p...

I'm being very generous considering most games haven't really been hitting a solid 30, 900-1080p hardly at all. Anyway, it wouldn't cannibalize other versions of games and it would prevent Pub's from having to fund completely seperate projects. I have a very hard time seeing Publishers fund VR specific games and not have them co-developed with the regular consoles in mind if it's to be worth their time at all. So making the specs accordingly would be a good idea to me then to start pushing skews where games have trouble being optimized due to hardware constrants of VR or the weaker PS4 model.

That said... I have no faith in Publishers / Developers that it won't harm some versions of games.

Has anyone else realized, the new ps4 gen MAY be able to brute force PS3 emulation?

sabvre42 said:
Has anyone else realized, the new ps4 gen MAY be able to brute force PS3 emulation?

That is possible. At some point Sony has to move everything over to X86, they can not run the Cell based server farms forever, and if they want to continue to push streaming games, they are going to have to get PS1/2/3/4/P/V games working in one enviornment.

I have said from the beginning, that Sony should offer compatability for local games for those that go out and actually by a PC from them. That should be a bonus of actually owning the PC as opposed to streaming on non Sony devices. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
sabvre42 said:

That is possible. At some point Sony has to move everything over to X86, they can not run the Cell based server farms forever, and if they want to continue to push streaming games, they are going to have to get PS1/2/3/4/P/V games working in one enviornment.

I have said from the beginning, that Sony should offer compatability for local games for those that go out and actually by a PC from them. That should be a bonus of actually owning the PC as opposed to streaming on non Sony devices. 

Sony no longer owns the vaio brand fyi. Also, releasing a pc emulator is a horrible idea. Someone would reverse engineer it and pirates would be all over it. Look what happened to the android to windows remote play hack.

sabvre42 said:
KBG29 said:

Sony no longer owns the vaio brand fyi. Also, releasing a pc emulator is a horrible idea. Someone would reverse engineer it and pirates would be all over it. Look what happened to the android to windows remote play hack.

Sony no longer owns Vaio, because they have the PS4 which is their own in house PC. That is what I was referring to when I said PC, because PlayStation is not a console anymore.

I agree that Windows and Mac emulation is not a good option. However, PlayStation Now streaming, should definitly be made available on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. In fact I think PS Now should replace Remote Play, and they should keep remote play exclusive to Sony devices on Sony OS's, just for the reasons you stated.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
sabvre42 said:

Why not? PSNow uses ps3 server blades with 8 ps3's a piece atm. Shrink it down to 16 then 32 per blade, servers become cheaper and cheaper to maintain. Emulating ps3 games requires a lot of overhead and likely causes compatibility problems. Sony is a hardware company first.

A ps4 elite with the neccesary shrunk components for hardware BC ps1, ps2 and ps3 would be interesting.

Come to think of it, one of those ps3 server blades should be enough for 4K gaming! Well almost, 4k is 9 x 720p.

Hmm, first console worth buying this gen?

So this is what we're doing now? It's gotten so bad that big console makers actually think they can get away with that kind of "minor upgrade", "mid-generation" re-release shit for HOME consoles now?

Sorry......but that is serious BS. The entire point of home console gaming, along with the convenience of playing on your couch, on your TV, is that you buy ONE piece of hardware, and you are able to buy games for just that hardware, for the next 5-6 years, before the next gen console comes out.

If this is going to become the new norm, where they release somewhat upgraded "1.5" models of home systems just a few short years after initial launch......I dunno man. It doesn't speak well for the direction the industry in general has been headed anyway for years....