By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4.5 PRICE, RELEASE DATE! - The Know (RUMOUR?)

I have been thinking of getting a PS4 (planned for autumn) as it is beginning to have some interesting games & VR. If Sony does not kill these kind of rumors before or at E3 my interest will disappear!

Around the Network
MortienGerrux said:

2024? By that time, a smartwatch will be more powerful then the current PS4.

Of course if console gaming still exist in the future, with mobile gaming and PC gaming taking over...

1) no smart phone by 2024 will be close to what a PS4 can do today.

2) sadly you might be right, if we keep buying more and more expensive smart phones, they might become the new home consoles of the future.

Maybe by 2024 we ll have mobile phones we can put in docking stations, that ll be as powerfull as todays PS4.

DevilRising said:
So this is what we're doing now? It's gotten so bad that big console makers actually think they can get away with that kind of "minor upgrade", "mid-generation" re-release shit for HOME consoles now?

Sorry......but that is serious BS. The entire point of home console gaming, along with the convenience of playing on your couch, on your TV, is that you buy ONE piece of hardware, and you are able to buy games for just that hardware, for the next 5-6 years, before the next gen console comes out.

If this is going to become the new norm, where they release somewhat upgraded "1.5" models of home systems just a few short years after initial launch......I dunno man. It doesn't speak well for the direction the industry in general has been headed anyway for years....

The thing is, this does not affect your original purchase. All PS4 games will be compatible with PS4 and PS4 Spec 2. You will not have to go out and buy a new console, in fact the time between buying consoles should become even greater.

The only reasons to buy a PS4 Spec 2 are;

1. You have yet to buy a PS4.

2. Your OG PS4 breaks, gets stolen, lost in a storm, etc. 

3. You want the best possible experience and buying a slightly more powerful system is worth the slight upgrade.

It is as simple as that. The games on PS4 Spec 2 are not going to be any different than on the day one PS4. The only difference will be frame rate, resolution, lighting textures, etc. You won't see 64 Players on PS4 Spec 2, and 32 on OG PS4. This is not PS3 to PS4, it is PS4 to PS4+.

This is a great thing for the console industry. It is going to lengthen the life span of the consoles, and it is going to keep them fresh for people joining in years later, and give the core audience a chance to upgrade to better experinces, and not have to wait 5 to 7 years for even minor tech advancements.

As I, and others said above, hopefully this is only the first of at least two major PS4 revisions. I would like to see a PS4 Spec 3 around 2019 or 2020, as tech will still not be ready for a PS5 at that point, but we need something that keeps up with the rest of the tech world. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

MortienGerrux said:
As others have said, this may only be the first upgrade PS4 gets throughout its life. We could possibly see another upgrade around 2019 or 2020. Like I said above, the tech is just not advancing fast enough to make actual generational leaps in the tradition console cycle, so these performance tiers are a nessesity. I don't expect to see a true PS5 on a radically new architecture until at least 2024, because, CPU, GPU, RAM, and SSD tech will not be advanced enough for a full leap to 4K until then. At that point 4K VR will be the norm and 8K TV's will be starting to ramp up.

2024? By that time, a smartwatch will be more powerful then the current PS4.

My guess is that the next generation of consoles will be in late 2018 or early 2019 when Nvidia Volta/Next-Gen AMD arhictecture releases.

Of course if console gaming still exist in the future, with mobile gaming and PC gaming taking over...

Early 2019 will not be, because now is Tradition to release a console on November.

KBG29 said:
DevilRising said:
So this is what we're doing now? It's gotten so bad that big console makers actually think they can get away with that kind of "minor upgrade", "mid-generation" re-release shit for HOME consoles now?

Sorry......but that is serious BS. The entire point of home console gaming, along with the convenience of playing on your couch, on your TV, is that you buy ONE piece of hardware, and you are able to buy games for just that hardware, for the next 5-6 years, before the next gen console comes out.

If this is going to become the new norm, where they release somewhat upgraded "1.5" models of home systems just a few short years after initial launch......I dunno man. It doesn't speak well for the direction the industry in general has been headed anyway for years....

The thing is, this does not affect your original purchase. All PS4 games will be compatible with PS4 and PS4 Spec 2. You will not have to go out and buy a new console, in fact the time between buying consoles should become even greater.

3. You want the best possible experience and buying a slightly more powerful system is worth the slight upgrade.

It is as simple as that. The games on PS4 Spec 2 are not going to be any different than on the day one PS4. The only difference will be frame rate, resolution, lighting textures, etc. You won't see 64 Players on PS4 Spec 2, and 32 on OG PS4. This is not PS3 to PS4, it is PS4 to PS4+.

This is a great thing for the console industry. It is going to lengthen the life span of the consoles, and it is going to keep them fresh for people joining in years later, and give the core audience a chance to upgrade to better experinces, and not have to wait 5 to 7 years for even minor tech advancements.

As I, and others said above, hopefully this is only the first of at least two major PS4 revisions. I would like to see a PS4 Spec 3 around 2019 or 2020, as tech will still not be ready for a PS5 at that point, but we need something that keeps up with the rest of the tech world. 

4. You will need to purchase the 2 Models because one will have a Lot of Bugs, other will have more games than the previos, and in some games will not take advantage from the Extra Power, and will look the Same thing.

PS5, don't need to be 4K, if Released in 2019, that is a Normal console Cicle 5-6 Years, after 5-6 Years will Release PS6, with 4K Gaming.

Around the Network
umegames said:
Not liking the Idea of this 4.5 at all. Only had my ps4 less than a year now. I hope the NX is on par and gets alot of the same games now.

ok, so if you managed not to be interested in buying a ps4 until about 2 years after it was released, why are you worried about a possible upgrade now?

just do the same, stay on older tech for 2 more years after the new one comes out and then buy something you like.

DevilRising said:

Lool the way you speak here is like a console'S HW live time is 5-6 years( it can be 25 year if you take care of it lol) just joking. since it is  the company's support of that piece of HW,  in this case a PS4.5 will noway hurt the ps4 LT Support which means there is LITTERALLY NOTHING wrong with a release of a better ps4,  they will use the same damn discs. If someone has money to spend for a new Ps4 (like a new iphone6S) then buy  it if not stay with the old one, there are poeple out there who wait a console to be sub 200$ to buy it, if we wait for that kind of poeple we will have to  wait 10 years for a next gen HW lol

BUt seriously I don't understand the hate of a new ps4, it is like ask AMD and Nvidia to wait 5 years to release a better Graphic card. Since all PC use the same game, it simply doesn't make sense imho

Gundam Extrem VS FORCE!!!                                            The KING Of Fighting Games is BACK #SFV   

Gaming consoles owned so far:-NES,- GB Advenced, -PS3,-XBOX360,- PS VITA, PS4!   PC: @i5 4570,GTX960 Factory Overclock

Make your own youtube channel to keep memories of your live gaming expirience

Official PSVita Thread!                                   Freedom Wars Threads!!                                COMG! Japan Pre-order chart

Clearly the biggest problem Sony are going to face when launching the PS4K will be one of messaging. Stop people thinking it's splitting the userbase and they're onto a winner. The messaging for VR is going to be tough too. Sony have a LOT of marketing to do this year.

The PS5 Exists. 

Swordmasterman said:
KBG29 said:

4. You will need to purchase the 2 Models because one will have a Lot of Bugs, other will have more games than the previos, and in some games will not take advantage from the Extra Power, and will look the Same thing.

PS5, don't need to be 4K, if Released in 2019, that is a Normal console Cicle 5-6 Years, after 5-6 Years will Release PS6, with 4K Gaming.

4. This is not going to be an issue. PS4 games will continue to run in 900-1080p and 30 - 60fps. PS4K games will most likly be 1080p/60fps or 1440p/30fps and upscaled to 4k for those that have 4K TV's. This is important, because it takes 4K TV's a lot of time to do the upscaling, and means their are response time issues, with the upscaling happening on the console, that issue is negated, and that enhances the experience.

As for PS5, well it has to be a signifigant improvement over PS4. That is not going to be possible for some time, unless people are willing to pay much more for consoles. By 2019, the CPU, GPU, RAM, and SSD tech will not be their for a $400 box that has a generational leap over the PS4. That is why these incremental upgrades need to take place until, the time which tech has reached a point where shifting to a whole new platform brings a completly new experience.

GribbleGrunger said:

Clearly the biggest problem Sony are going to face when launching the PS4K will be one of messaging. Stop people thinking it's splitting the userbase and they're onto a winner. The messaging for VR is going to be tough too. Sony have a LOT of marketing to do this year.

This is definitly going to be a major batle for Sony. Lucky, it looks like they are not alone. With MS and Nintendo following the same path, the whole market will be pushing the idea of tiered skus, and your content follows you. That is good for everyone. 

Then on the VR side, they have the benifit of Smasung, Google, Facebook, and HTC all helping demo the power of VR. Hopefully, this will lead to most people being able to experince VR in some way at various events throughout the year leading up to the holiday season.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Slightly more powerful is not enough for a decent vr experience. It has to be A LOT more powerful.