By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4.5 PRICE, RELEASE DATE! - The Know (RUMOUR?)

Don't ask me, but they seem certain.

View on YouTube

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

400??? not bad!! im in!!

Huh, April 1st came early this year.

instead of the slim... theyre calling it a 4.5? and its slightly stronger and outputs 4k upscaled...

for 400$

That actually sounds good.

They also say the normal PS4 will soon get a price drop again.... so 299$ PS4 soon!

(which probably means 250$ Xbox One this year (if they want to stay 50$ below the PS4)

Hmm So a ps4.5 a rumored zb slim, psvr. Good luck NX

Around the Network

Thats not good for Sony actually, and for us.If this new version actually has better performance and if what they said, that there is a new game being developed with ps4.5 specs in mind, we may see a hyrule warriors Legends case, in which the inferior version has sever performance issues.I dont know.I dont like it.One reason that I buy consoles is because it keeps a standard, and it dosent need upgrade every 2 or 3 years.(and not as expensive).This could fracture the userbase and have long term problems for the PS4.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

much of what they say in the video sounds reasonable to be honest, but one thing seemed weird to me

they said the PS4K offers another CPU core for devs to use, but Sony recently unlocked the 7th Jaguar PS4 core to devs, meaning that PS4K would open 8 cores
Sony should still have a core locked for the OS tasks, but having 9 or 10 (if they go back to locking 2) CPU cores on a chip is pretty weird

additionally the Zen architecture uses bigger/stronger cores, so personally I would've expected 4 cores with hyperthreading to replace the 8 low power Jaguar cores in the new APU (I suppose 5 core HT could work if instead of "cores" they actually meant "threads") - shrinking the Jaguar architecture for 14/16nm doesn't make sense when AMD has Zen ready for use in that process

Lafiel said:

much of what they say in the video sounds reasonable to be honest, but one thing seemed weird to me

they said the PS4K offers another CPU core for devs to use, but Sony recently unlocked the 7th Jaguar PS4 core to devs, meaning that PS4K would open 8 cores
Sony should still have a core locked for the OS tasks, but having 9 or 10 (if they go back to locking 2) CPU cores on a chip is pretty weird

additionally the Zen architecture uses bigger/stronger cores, so personally I would've expected 4 cores with hyperthreading to replace the 8 low power Jaguar cores in the new APU (I suppose 5 core HT could work if instead of "cores" they actually meant "threads") - shrinking the Jaguar architecture for 14/16nm doesn't make sense when AMD has Zen ready for use in that process

That stuck out to me too. That's one of the reasons I added 'rumour?' to the thread title. Was enabling developers to use the 7th core immediate or was it something they would offer in the future? I can't remember. Perhaps it's now available?

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
Lafiel said:

That stuck out to me too. That's one of the reasons I added 'rumour?' to the thread title. Was enabling developers to use the 7th core immediate or was it something they would offer in the future? I can't remember. Perhaps it's now available?

afaik they unlocked the 7th core to devs in nov 2015, so while pretty certainly none of the released games were build around utilizing it, some might have used it to improve performance through patches

Lafiel said:

afaik they unlocked the 7th core to devs in nov 2015, so while there pretty certainly none of the released games were build around utilizing it, some might have used it to improve performance through patches

Yeah, that's likely if it's been out there since Nov last year.

The PS5 Exists.