By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why 20 year old gamers are better than 50 year old gamers.

OneKartVita said:

I was having an argument with my friend over which age group of gamer was the best.  He was saying the older the better because they've experienced so many more gens than younger gamers.  

But I countered that with,  if you're 50,  you might only have 5 more gens of gaming left where as I'm in my twenties and I've a hell of a lot more.  I don't think you can argue with that.  

You may be 50 but I've more years of gaming left,  unless you plan on being the first 130 year old human! 

Edit: apologies to any old fogies this makes sad :'(

But who says there will be more gens, and if they'll be any good? It's generally agreed gen 3 to gen 6 were the awesomes, and then quality suddenly took a nosedive with gen 7. Gen 8 is barely any better and doesn't feel like it's even started yet. Mobile and f2p could be the future 10-20 years down the road, who knows. Then you'll miss the good ole days.

Also: the older people were born in a better generation than you. Millenials will have a harder time in real life, sorry for leaving such a big mess to you

Around the Network
Conina said:
OneKartVita said:

You're right about gens getting longer but what I really mean is a period of time.  I was just using gens because people think like that.  What I really mean is the younger generation in their 20's have experience a number of the best gens and still have a ton of years to play.  

The over 50 crowd don't.  I know which I'd rather be. 

If the "world ends" in 20 or 30 years with one of the many doomsday scenarios, the 50 crowd had 30 years more fun gaming and 5 - 6 more generations than the 20 crowd. So the older guys win. ;)

Oh shit you just upped the stakes!! 

SvennoJ said:
My journey with games has been epic. Started with my dad's homemade PC running Basic, then first PC green and black with beeps 0.8mhz 10mb hdd to 4 color cga, ega 16, vga 256 colors. MSX 3 tone midi music, C64 funky music, first home made sound card, Amiga 500 awesomeness, first online multiplayer fs4 over dial up, downloading cheats and games from various bbs in 2400, 4800 then 9600 baud, first cd-rom player cd's still loading in trays, Soundblaster 16 every sound format mixed through the pc in crystal clear 16 bit in 1992, first gpu, first dvd player Tex Murphy Overseer in early 98, tv card to watch tv on pc in a window or play pc on tv via svhs, first stereo graphic 3D game Descent 2 on a projector, first surround sound, the birth of the internet, first mmorpg, and then we're finally at the ps2.

I pity those that are skeptic of VR because the tech is supposedly not powerful enough yet. It's not going to look like the Order 1886 or mythical Crysis with 1000 mods, oh noes. How did I survive playing at 0.0008 ghz!

I agree, it has been a great ride so far. I wouldn't miss any of the gaming experiences of the past. Not only the games, but also the impressive technical progress of the first decades on arcade machines, home computers, home consoles and handheld devices. Also the genesis and evolution of game genres and new game mechanics and new input devices, the first mixing of game genres resulting in new game experiences and so on.

Gamers in their twenties who started gaming in the around the millennium haven't seen much progress/innovations in games or game genres in the last 15 years. The graphics got a lot prettier and the multiplayer component got more important, but besides that most games of 2016 play very similar to the games available when they started gaming. And when finally a new (and much more immersive) way to play video games is on the horizon with the potential of new experiences, they are very sceptical to try something new.

That depends.

If its a game that requires fast reaction times, younger gamers are generally better (not without exceptions).

If its strategy games, older ones are probably better.

But this is all generalisation. Truth is it varies from case to case.

At least in competitive play it's only natural that younger players are better that old ones

I think if you dedicate yourself the best times of your competitive play would be up to your mid 20s

"casual gaming" might be different, I'm 25 now and I can easily beat games that were a challenge to me when I was 13-16, so in a level where your reflexes are not pushed to the extreme you might get better because of experience

Around the Network

20 year old gamers are better, c'mon, 20 is the age where you likely game the most. 

If you're 50 and spending large chunks of your life gaming, you likely need to rethink your priorities in life.

greenmedic88 said:
While it would make for an interesting sociological study to see the retention rates for gaming into middle ages with the average quoted gamer age being 31 years, my guess is that a not insignificant chunk of current 20 year old gamers won't be playing video games by the time they're 50.

Those who are currently pushing into their later middle age and still gaming probably represent a rapidly diminishing demographic for their age group.

So, you're basing the current average age of gamers, being 31, to future logic? The average age of gamers will steadily increase as years go by and stabilise in maybe 15-20 years.

Middle aged gamers are those who've grown up with video games, from the Pong era / early arcade machines... Above that, people maybe 50+ were never brought up on them, it was never their culture. In 20 years, you could potentially see a significant number of 70 year old gamers, something that seems totally ridiculous now. 20 years ago, 50 year old gamers would have looked quirky, not now though.

Every decade, the age of gamers has increased as gamers have got older. When I was a kid with a ZX Spectrum and an NES, it was very rare for anybody over 25 to be playing games, as they just weren't brought up on them, it wasn't their thing. Yes, older people played them if their younger brother or son had the relevant machine, or maybe they had an adventure game on their business computer, but it wasn't something that was part of their life.

When I did work experience years back before Uni, nobody apart from me and a couple of upstarts played games, now, I see 35-45 year olds happily discussing what games they're into, their PS4's, etc. That was so unheard of in the late nineties.

This is an interesting thread, not from a gaming point but from a technology point, I'm very grateful to have been born when I was, got to experience the Atari 2600 as a very young child, MegaDrive/SNES console wars while I was in Primary school, the PSone/N64 during the birth of the internet, experience what a gaming magazine (with a fucking demo with it Z O M G) Was at a time when it was the best thing ever, so many things are just lost now because of the internet and technology along with them being lost is the appreciation for the things which have gone past.

I remember my first Tape player, pocket with a couple of albums with it, spare AA batteries in my pocket which could be used in either the player or my Gameboy Colour, while it's possible to emulate older generation games... you can never truly emulate the past, even going back on games, when you see a game which was marveled for it's graphics when it launched... you can never experience that now in 2016 when people are getting out their magnifying glass and counting the pixels on screen and using a stop watch to count how long their on screen for....

TL:DR - I'd die happy sooner rather than be born now, I think you can't appreciate how far tech has come if you've never lived during a time when no one... and I mean no one had a mobile phone.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

As a 27 year old gamer I can say you're wrong. Games back then didn't hold your hand. You may have more years of gaming left, but it's all on easy mode.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Soundwave said:

20 year old gamers are better, c'mon, 20 is the age where you likely game the most. 

If you're 50 and spending large chunks of your life gaming, you likely need to rethink your priorities in life.

What should your priorities be in your fifties?

I would assume that when you're 20 you have better things to do than gaming, like studying, finding a good job, paying off study loans, good place to live, perhaps find a partner for life. Compared to 50, steady job, kids about to leave the house or already gone, plenty time for gaming.

20 is the age where you should game the least :p