By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why 20 year old gamers are better than 50 year old gamers.

it is more on about the time spent on gaming regardless of age. but getting old age means reaction time wouldn't be similar to when we are younger.

for me, wanted to play a lot of games but i don't have the luxury of time. but i enjoy it at my own pace on when i would play.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

I'm 36 and I'm better and faster than I was at 21, so I don't think you're problem is age. It probably has more to do with time spent gaming or something else.

As far as the OP goes, most 30 somethings are better than 20 year olds because when we were young, we only had NES to play. This meant, most of the time, 3 lives, no continues... fuck you... game over. We HAD to develop lazer quick reflexes to get through games back then. Those skills, for the most part, are dead. Games are easier... WAY easier. Bloodbourne is nothing compared to beating some of those NES games without cheats.

But the numero uno thing that puts 30 something gamers over the top is not our reflexes, it's our resiliency. Again, because our games were so hard, we had to start over... and over... and over and over and over again to get better. You would get to level 7, die, and then your entire fucking game was lost. You had no options... you either toughen up, or walk away a failure... and failure was not an option. This is in stark contrast to most guys in their early 20's. Everything they've played has been a cake walk. They have grown up in an entitled world. If they can't beat something on a few tries, they quit and find something that doesn't present a challenge to the point of frustration. THAT'S why 30 something gamers>early 20 something gamers imo.

Obviously, I'm speaking in general terms. I don't think 35 year old gamers have better genes. If you took a kid now, age 8, and only gave him NES games to play, he'd grow up just as good or better than I am. But most don't play NES games like that. Most grow up with Minecraft so in 10 years, it's going to be even worse skills wise.

NES era wasn't about reflexes, it was about learning patterns.  Die, learn the pattern, repeat.  Punch Out, the game in your sig, was almost all about learning static patterns.  Platformers were usually static patterns.  Duck, wait, jump.  Memorize that and you could beat most "hard" NES games in a few minutes.  I used to beat Punch Out several times a day when I was bored.  However, difficulty from finger and wrist pain caused by uncomfortable controllers, that was real.

Perhaps you mean the previous generation, which mostly blew the NES era into fragments in terms of reflex speed.  That's because many arcade shooters didn't end, they just kept getting harder and harder until you ran out of lives.  

NES era gamers, if you jumped them forward into 2016, would also be hosed when thrown into competitive multi-player.  The twitch needed for playing against other humans can only be developed playing against other humans.  It requires a more dynamic toolkit with so much more to read and react to.

I've been gaming since my dad brought home an Atari 2600 and I don't buy the idea that NES/SNES games were harder overall.  You just died more because the games were designed so that you often had to die to see the solution.  That doesn't make it harder, it just makes it more frustrating.

I think it's more case by case..

There will be younger gamers that are better than older gamers and vice versa :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I'm 31 and I've noticed a fundamental shift in gaming. When I was younger, we were always looking forward to the next big thing. For examples, when the Sega Saturn, PlayStation, and Nintendo 64 were brand new, you never heard about anyone going out to hunt down an old Atari 2600. We didn't care about that. We looked forward to the future. Nowadays, even though PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are doing well, the people who own those machines seem to have contempt for them. They're like what Windows PC's were in the early 2000's. People hated them but felt they had to use them. At the same time, young kids, particularly teenagers and people in their early 20's are getting excited over the old stuff. Retro gaming is a huge business. Even the not-so retro consoles like GameCube and PS2 have been a good business for those who sell games. It never used to be like this.

So, to simply put it, I would say older gamers had it better because of what they got in the end whereas newer gamers have it worse because if you look at the trends and where the industry is heading, it isn't a very positive future we're looking at here.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

I'd agree that younger people would likely be better than me partially due to not having as much time to invest in video games to get good at them, but I also feel at a point where I wonder why does it matter if I'm good at them or not? I just wanna have fun with them, haha.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
HylianYoshi said:

Gamers in their 30s are still the luckiest. They've been around since before or at the beginning of the NES. They've effectively gotten to experience every worthwhile generation to its fullest, without sacrificing much of the time left that people in their 20s have.

Good balance.

I'm not 30, but I got to enjoy the gens from NES onward, and it was def awesome living through the growth of video games

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

celador said:
Well one way younger players are better is in terms of reaction times.                                   

Well, I'm a 38 year old gamer and the reaction time issue is partly true, partly a fallacy. A lot of gamers who grew up during the 80's and 90's played games that required d-pad movement and extremely fast trigger responses in SHMUPS and Sports games. A lot of gamers in their 15-20's today basically suck when n it comes to using a d-pad and being fast on the buttons, but I think might be better at FPS gaming since that has been the main focus of twitch gaming in the last 15 years (for console gaming atleast). It's all just anecdotic evidence of course.

in terms of the issue regarding how many generations one age groups might experiences compared to the other: Well it's really great for younger gamers today to have this wealth of great games, both new and old. I just hope a lot of gamers take their time with the older games since they come from a time when games were made with lifes and continues which is a different approach than today. It's also important that we as a gaming community spreads gaming of all generations, to alla generations of gamers and potential gamers.

OneKartVita said:

I was having an argument with my friend over which age group of gamer was the best.  He was saying the older the better because they've experienced so many more gens than younger gamers.  

But I countered that with,  if you're 50,  you might only have 5 more gens of gaming left where as I'm in my twenties and I've a hell of a lot more.  I don't think you can argue with that.  

Edit: apologies to any old fogies this makes sad :'(

Of course one can argue with this specious empty logic.  You can't say "X is better than Y" because of future accomplishments that X may or may not achieve.  If gens are getting more spaced apart in time, then old gamers still win because they will experience more gens by the time they die (the pace was faster in their youth).  By your argument, a fetus is the greatest gamer in the world.  Sorry, but that is a really, really, really weak counter.

Shadow1980 said:
I'm 36, so I split the difference. The NES was released when I was 5, and I got one of my own when I was 8. The 16-bit era occupied my pre-teen and and early teen years. I got a PS1 and N64 after I got my first job when I was 18. Three generations and another 18 years later, and here I am (rock me like a hurricane).

So, I'm young enough to where I probably have another 40-60 years of gaming in me, but old enough to have been able to experience most of the history of gaming since the 2nd gen & the Golden Age of arcade games.

Your gaming history is just as epic as your graphs!  

ebw said:
OneKartVita said:

I was having an argument with my friend over which age group of gamer was the best.  He was saying the older the better because they've experienced so many more gens than younger gamers.  

But I countered that with,  if you're 50,  you might only have 5 more gens of gaming left where as I'm in my twenties and I've a hell of a lot more.  I don't think you can argue with that.  

Edit: apologies to any old fogies this makes sad :'(

Of course one can argue with this specious empty logic.  You can't say "X is better than Y" because of future accomplishments that X may or may not achieve.  If gens are getting more spaced apart in time, then old gamers still win because they will experience more gens by the time they die.  By your argument, a fetus is the greatest gamer in the world.  Sorry, but that is a really weak counter.

Fetus master race FTW!  

You're right about gens getting longer but what I really mean is a period of time.  I was just using gens because people think like that.  What I really mean is the younger generation in their 20's have experience a number of the best gens and still have a ton of years to play.  

The over 50 crowd don't.  I know which I'd rather be. 

Younger gamers are getting their hands held so tightly that anything with actual difficulty is gonna make them give up in submission when it comes down to it except for the rare ones.