By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer Apologizes For GDC Party Having Scantily Clad Dancers

Last night after Game Developers Conference sessions wrapped up, Microsoft held an afterparty--which many companies do. But one party in particular is garnering some amount of controversy because the Xbox-maker hired scantily clad "sexy schoolgirl" dancers, according to pictures from people who attended the event.

Head of Xbox Phil Spencer said in a statement that the manner in which this party was hosted was "unequivocally wrong." He said diversity and inclusion need to be "central to our everyday business" and pledged that Microsoft will "do better" in the future.

"At Xbox-hosted events at GDC this past week, we represented Xbox and Microsoft in a way that was not consistent or aligned to our values," he said in a statement to GameSpot. "It was unequivocally wrong and will not be tolerated. I know we disappointed many people and I'm personally committed to holding ourselves to higher standards. We must ensure that diversity and inclusion are central to our everyday business and core values. We will do better in the future."

Earlier in the day, Microsoft held a Xbox Women in Gaming event.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-exec-apologizes-for-unequivocally-wrong-gdc-p/1100-6435802/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

Around the Network

Lol that's not really bad.

MS is so reactionary.lmao

Sounds like a major overreaction from MS.

Also how are they going to have a party that's inclusive and diversity... that's a really strange suggestion.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

The other companies should be taking notes instead!
I think thats overreaction by Microsoft.I mean, they are not naked, its a party, and we are all adults.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

What the hell.............. ._.

Around the Network

The impact of Britney knows no bounds even after almost 20 years, what she wore could still cause controversy among the conservatives.

They arent badly dressed for dancers. Couldve been much worse... Way to overreact, MS

Why Apologizes?
Just own it instead.
Nothing wrong with hireing dancers if thats what you want at your event, which I guess it was.

How blind could they be to think this would be a cool thing to do in 2016 for a big game dev party??? 0_0

StarOcean said:
They arent badly dressed for dancers. Couldve been much worse... Way to overreact, MS

The professionally offended hav ebeen out in full force on Twitter.  So, they're just responding to what's become rather funny online.  Personally, I don't care.