By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: It's OK If PC Gamers Don't Want An Xbox One

"I'm not trying to trick you into buying an Xbox One for what I'm doing."

He continued: "I was actually asked by somebody, 'Did you do Forza 6: Apex as a way of teasing the PC gamers with how good Forza is so they'll go buy an Xbox One?' No. That's not the plan.

"So they might not [buy an Xbox One]," Spencer said. "And I want that to be OK."

"I think there's something very unique about playing console games on my television," he said, "10 feet away, with a controller in my hand, you and I sitting next to each other, either playing against each other or playing with each other — that is different from playing on my PC gaming rig sitting from 2 feet away playing with a keyboard and mouse or even a controller," he said.

According to Spencer, Microsoft's unique position in both the PC and console markets affords the company opportunities to blur the line between the two platforms.

"This way," he said, "when you go and you buy [PC and Xbox One games], you're not gonna feel like you're dealing with disconnected islands that don't understand what games you own, or where you are in those games, or what your achievements are in those games and what you play with, but that instead [we] put you as the gamer at the center of our platform and build our platforms around you."

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/11/11208418/phil-spencer-says-pc-gamers-might-not-buy-an-xbox-one-but-that-s-okay

Around the Network

Wait, are these games cross buy? Are they cross save? Because I think that's pretty stupid if they aren't. They are most definitely disconnected islands without anything to connect them. The PS4 isn't "connected" to the XBO just because they both run Destiny. Shared software has nothing to do with a shared platform.

I'm hoping someone will come and tell me I'm wrong.

spemanig said:
Wait, are these games cross buy? Are they cross save? Because I think that's pretty stupid if they aren't. They are most definitely disconnected islands without anything to connect them. The PS4 isn't "connected" to the XBO just because they both run Destiny. Shared software has nothing to do with a shared platform.

I'm hoping someone will come and tell me I'm wrong.

I think they need to do cross-play first tbh. In that sense, they are very much disconnected islands. I think he's just talking about cross buy with shared achievements/profiles. 

"10 feet away, with a controller in my hand, you and I sitting next to each other, either playing against each other or playing with each other".

Is fun how he says thats a "console only" experience but i do it all the time on a PC. Anyway this is just PR

I said it before and I'll say it again. Xbox games are coming to Windows 10 to get more people on Windows 10.

People think games are coming to PC to boost profits on software or because they are moving away from Xbox. But its really about getting more people to upgrade.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

It's NOT OK cause their losing ...

I bet Phil Spencer couldn't even get his own business to float if he tried cause with that crappy attitude it's no wonder Microsoft's investors aren't content with Xbox ...

He's like a frog that's trapped in a pot while the temperature is raising, never change Phil, never change and please keep the "everything is fine" mantra going on LOL

Errr, okay, Phil. As long as YOU'RE alright with that.

Mr Puggsly said:
I said it before and I'll say it again. Xbox games are coming to Windows 10 to get more people on Windows 10.

People think games are coming to PC to boost profits on software or because they are moving away from Xbox. But its really about getting more people to upgrade.

It's one of the few things I can agree with ya on.

fatslob-:O said:
It's NOT OK cause their losing ...

I bet Phil Spencer couldn't even get his own business to float if he tried cause with that crappy attitude it's no wonder Microsoft's investors aren't content with Xbox ...

He's like a frog that's trapped in a pot while the temperature is raising, never change Phil, never change and please keep the "everything is fine" mantra going on LOL

Hmm...

I think whats going on is PC gamers are frustrated with the way MS has handled PC games and rightfully so.

There is a large segment of PC gamers that dont buy or play much on consoles. There are PC gamers that want MS content and continued support. They dont want the Windows Store to be another GFW.

Phil is trying to appease the hardcore PC audience. Its a weird situation Sony and Nintendo arent in.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

fatslob-:O said:

He's like a frog that's trapped in a pot while the temperature is raising

What?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.