By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes - Is the death of consoles inevitable?

Lawlight said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Two things. From what I see, Sony's game division had an operating income of 40.2 in billions of yen where as Nintendo had 42.4. Secondly, that Sony income? It also includes music and video services.

No, you're comparing Apr-Dec 2015 from Nintendo to Oct-Dec 2015 from Sony's gaming division. Scroll further down:

For Q3 2015:

Nintendo: 33.508B JPY

Sony's gaming division: 40.2B JPY

This is income from games and whatever content PSN sells.

No, it says FY/3 2016 operating income is 42,485 for Ninteno. I'm looking at it right now. I could screen cap it and upload it if you want. And for sony, It says right under their game division report 

"The G&NS segment includes the Hardware, Network, and Other categories. Hardware includes home and portable game consoles; Network includes network services relating to game, video and music content provided by Sony Network Entertainment International LLC; Other includes packaged software and peripheral devices."

Around the Network

Those numbers are BS for Sony because they're adding their video and music sales into it. All network sales are included, which is non-game related income.

Consoles are more alive than ever, but will not be restricted to a specific hardware anymore. The traditional console is dead, but I am more exited for the future than ever before.

I think so yes. We are closer to the end than we are to the beginning for sure.

Our kids will laugh at us when we say we needed a shoe box sized "machine" to sit under the television to play video games on which come on plate-sized shiny discs that you had to buy one at a time from the store. They likely will have no concept of that idea at all.

I've always kinda said this but I think there will be a Playstation 5 ... sure. But Playstation 6 ... nope. Not in a traditional sense.

I kinda feel bad if you love consoles, but are just getting into it now or recently. The 80s/90s/2000s were the zenith of consoles, we are now heading towards the extinction phase. 

Lawlight said:
Mike321 said:
Consoles won't die in the near future, they will probably have less lifespan if they keep making them underpowered

No, they won't. Especially with graphics having plateau'd.

Deminishing returns on improved image quality vs performance needed.

Consoles will always be behinde powerhouse PCs, but.... the differnce is, as time goes on the visual differnces are growing smaller and smaller.

Consoles will always be cheaper than a pc solution, and simpler (put disc in and play), controller in hand and gameing in a relaxed mood is what most want.

That isnt just changeing over night.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Lawlight said:

No, you're comparing Apr-Dec 2015 from Nintendo to Oct-Dec 2015 from Sony's gaming division. Scroll further down:

For Q3 2015:

Nintendo: 33.508B JPY

Sony's gaming division: 40.2B JPY

This is income from games and whatever content PSN sells.

No, it says FY/3 2016 operating income is 42,485 for Ninteno. I'm looking at it right now. I could screen cap it and upload it if you want. And for sony, It says right under their game division report 

"The G&NS segment includes the Hardware, Network, and Other categories. Hardware includes home and portable game consoles; Network includes network services relating to game, video and music content provided by Sony Network Entertainment International LLC; Other includes packaged software and peripheral devices."

Look at it again - Nintendo made less money than Sony's gaming division. If you want to nitpick about digital sales driven by the PS consoles, then we should remove the sales of any merchandise from Nintendo's operating income. Those aren't video games either.

AlfredoTurkey said:

Those numbers are BS for Sony because they're adding their video and music sales into it. All network sales are included, which is non-game related income.

In that case, Nintendo's sales are BS as well. Should Nintendo count merchandise in the revenue as well? By your logic, no.

Soundwave said:

I think so yes. We are closer to the end than we are to the beginning for sure.

Our kids will laugh at us when we say we needed a shoe box sized "machine" to sit under the television to play video games on which come on plate-sized shiny discs that you had to buy one at a time from the store. They likely will have no concept of that idea at all.

I've always kinda said this but I think there will be a Playstation 5 ... sure. But Playstation 6 ... nope. Not in a traditional sense.

I kinda feel bad if you love consoles, but are just getting into it now or recently. The 80s/90s/2000s were the zenith of consoles, we are now heading towards the extinction phase. 

So, we'll use magic to stream games straight to our brains?

rumors surrounding the death of consoles has been greatly exaggerated.

Why bring the PS4 into this? Scared of asking the more specific question?

The PS5 Exists.