By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes - Is the death of consoles inevitable?

Mike321 said:
Consoles won't die in the near future, they will probably have less lifespan if they keep making them underpowered

Underpowered with respect to what?

The PS4 and XB1 are definately more powerful than my tablet and 5 year old laptop, however put a decent graphics card into my Desktop PC and the PS4 and XB1 are definately underpowered except that my Desktop PC is something like five times more expensive. In fact my i7 processor actually cost more that my PS4 and that is just the processor and heatsink.

It is very easy to fall into the trap of saying that this computer/console is underpowered when comparing it to a high end computer, however you have to take all factors into consideration and that also includes price.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

The last sales reports had Nintendo earning more than Sony's GAME DIVISION... not entire company. 

Wrong. Sony's gaming division made $330M vs Nintendo's $241M.

Not from the info they released. We are talking "profits" right? Nintendo made 336 to Sony's 333M from what I understand.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Lawlight said:

Wrong. Sony's gaming division made $330M vs Nintendo's $241M.

Not from the info they released. We are talking "profits" right? Nintendo made 336 to Sony's 333M from what I understand.

You're wrong. Check your data again.

Shadow1980 said:
bunchanumbers said:

160m units is what Xbox and PlayStation sold last gen. Like I said I don't see them selling that many units. There will be contracting this generation.

Chart time:

As I said in my previous replay, the PS4 & XBO are doing very well. They're well ahead of the PS3 & 360, and are only just barely behind the PS2 & Xbox. In the case of the latter, we have to remember that the PS2 got its first price cut much earlier than the PS4 did, and it was a bigger price cut, but even then the PS2 was already about to pass its peak at this point in its life (it dropped back to pre-price cut sales in Q2 2003 and would never go back to its previous highs). If there's going to be a contraction, it will be due to secondary factors not really related to the overall health of the market. Potential factors that could keep the current generation sans Nintendo from falling short of prior generations would be: 1) A reduction in the number of multi-console households, 2) this generation not being as protracted as last generation, 3) the PS4 & XBO not having legs as strong as the PS2's.

Zhuge? .....Zhuge??? Is that you? LOL

Shadow1980 said:
Bryank75 said:
Oh guys, another stupid article to add......

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/03/08/microsoft-was-right-video-game-discs-are-stupid/#3a922adf1521

Now discs are stupid! Where do they get these people?

I don't think I have enough facepalm gifs for this.

Haha!

I saw they have seen it on Gaf aswell, they're getting some good mileage out of it! LOL

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
zorg1000 said:

What exactly makes you think all or most AAA publishers will shrink/fallout?

console sales numbers. They are not what they were last gen. It means that AAA publishers are doing different things to try to get more money. $50 season passes. Deluxe Digital bundles. Early Access style launches etc. There's already backlash to these things. Look at SF5. Eventually these techniques won't keep them in the green and the AAA publishers will end up contracting because of it.

Plus the vast majority of the gaming revenue is dependent on yearly franchises like Madden, Fifa, and CoD. Eventually franchise fatigue will end up drying up this well and the balloon will burst.

I dont think the data supports what you are saying, Shadow1980 has already gone over that in detail.

Why would FIFA/Madden all of a sudden drop in sales from being annual? They have been annual franchises for 20+ years, franchise fatigue would have already set in by now. If they start to have declines it would be due to other factors.

Ya games like Call of Duty or Assassins Creed could eventually decline (AC did quite a bit last year) but at the same time, we are seeing new massive franchises like Destiny & Watch Dogs offset those declines. Titanfall 2 could also offset the decline of Battlefield.

Bethesda Softworks seems to be bigger than ever with the success of Fallout 4 & the next mainline Elder Scrolls is surely going to sell huge, other games like Dishonored 2 & Doom have alot of potential for Bethesda.

Warner Bros has become a big player in just the last few years, last year for example saw Dying Light, Mortal Kombat X & Arkham Knight all surpass 5 million shipments.

Grand Theft Auto V is still selling crazy amounts for Take-Two and GTA6 will be huge. NBA also doing very well for them.

The point is EA/Activision/Ubisoft/Warner/Bethesda/Take-Two are not having any problems selling software.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Intrinsic said:

You, like Nintendo, seem to have no idea how much shit Nintendo is in. But you will see. 

I hope for Nintendo's sake they aren't thinking like you and actually make a proper console this time around and do all they can do to secure 3rd party support. I hope. Cause get this, nintendo will NOT survive another failure. They no longer have a handheld market to fall back on. And the long since lost their footing in the console space since after the SNES. if you are a half way decent follower of Nintendo and have at least one eye open on global trends then you would know what I mean. 

Sounds like shit I heard from GBA and GC days all over again lol. Might I also add why you are ignoring Ninty with their worst selling hardware of all time is still making as much money as Sony with their fastest selling? Ill rather Ninty not follow a completely unprofitable business plan. If Sony wasnt selling so much they would be right back to losing alot, see PS3. What makes you think the market could sustain two plats selling like PS4? If the market could sustain it, then Xbox would be doing just that. Since Xb1 isnt pulling those numbers, its probably better Ninty makes their money somewhere else then try to share such little profits PS4 makes. Dont you think thats better for Sony as well? You really think Ninty and Sony want to kill each other yet they are both Japanese companies and probably realize that wouldnt be good for the country? Honestly dude they would rather merge than kill each other. So I think Ninty is purposely staying out of Sonys way, it only leads to their own extinction.

Lawlight said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

You're wrong. Check your data again.

Coming from the guy with no links.

BraLoD said:
How many years have I been hearing/reading that already, lol.

1990: THE NINTENDO WILL BE THE END OF CONSOLES!

2000: THE N64 SHALL BE THE END OF CONSOLES!

2004: THE PLAYSTATION AND GAMECUBE WILL BE THE END OF CONSOLES!

2008: THE XBOX, PLAYSTATION, AND WII WILL BE THE END OF CONSOLES!

Now: THE XBONE, PS4, AND WII U WILL BE THE END OF CONSOLES!

Seriously, same argument. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Shadow1980 said:
bunchanumbers said:

160m units is what Xbox and PlayStation sold last gen. Like I said I don't see them selling that many units. There will be contracting this generation.

Chart time:

As I said in my previous replay, the PS4 & XBO are doing very well. They're well ahead of the PS3 & 360, and are only just barely behind the PS2 & Xbox. In the case of the latter, we have to remember that the PS2 got its first price cut much earlier than the PS4 did, and it was a bigger price cut, but even then the PS2 was already about to pass its peak at this point in its life (it dropped back to pre-price cut sales in Q2 2003 and would never go back to its previous highs). If there's going to be a contraction, it will be due to secondary factors not really related to the overall health of the market. Potential factors that could keep the current generation sans Nintendo from falling short of prior generations would be: 1) A reduction in the number of multi-console households, 2) this generation not being as protracted as last generation, 3) the PS4 & XBO not having legs as strong as the PS2's.

Tbh PS3 and 360 weren't too shabby. 80 million units sold is still an impressive feat.

I'm expecting Xbox 1 to reach around 30-50, with the PS4 going 80-110 million

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.