By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes - Is the death of consoles inevitable?

Ka-pi96 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Calm down lol. In this particular scenario, major third parties have all but vanished. We all know the bulk of sales for Playstation is via third party. Take a look at the attatch ratio for their first party games. How many of them have really high attach rates? Not many. Nintendo's IP have some really ridiculous attach rates which is why he said they're self sustaining. They don't NEED third party support to turn a buck. Nintendo was more profitable than either Sony or Microsofts game divisions last quarter and it is all pretty much thanks to their own games. Sony and MS would collapse in those same situations... 

Last quarter would be FY2015 Q3 right?

Sony http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/15q3_sony.pdf
Revenue: ¥587.1B
Operating Income: ¥40.2B

Nintendo http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-reports-q3-fy15-financial-results/
Revenue: ¥271.521B
Operating Income: ¥31.4B

How were they more profitable?

The last sales reports had Nintendo earning more than Sony's GAME DIVISION... not entire company. 

Around the Network
smellslikejavier1 said:

that's a little over exaggerated to say, why do all have to become digital only? just to fullfil some kind of "futuristic" movie-scenario were technology and digital stuff is 100% indispensable in our lives? if people really wanted to only buy digital-only stuff then why did the ps4 sold even faster and better at launch than what the ps2 sold at its launch more than 16 years ago? and why the retail stuff keeps being successful? consoles might evolve in some form maybe in the future but currently they are not even close of dying at all.

No, because it's superior. There is no digital only console platform that takes advantage of being digital fully while having desirable software. When that happens, the tide will change. It happened which every other form of media. It happened with PC gaming. It's going to happen with consoles, starting with the NX.

BraLoD said:
bunchanumbers said:

160m units is what Xbox and PlayStation sold last gen. Like I said I don't see them selling that many units. There will be contracting this generation.

The funny thing is that it doesn't really matter how many consoles Nintendo sells. They still are profitable. It doesn't matter what Wii U reaches, they're still making money. As for NX failing, they specifically restructured themselves in case they do have to stand alone. They consolidated their handheld and console teams. They made NX so that games can work on the handheld and console with little effort. They are maximizing their software output to avoid droughts.

Nintendo could quite easily be the only one making games on NX and be fine. Sony and MS would have both folded under the circumstances Nintendo deals with on a daily basis.

And that comes from...?

PlayStation is as strong as ever, where does you take it would die if was in Nintendo circumstances? That's just your opinion, and I don't know what it's based into, PS has a very strong first party team, several high profile studios, known IPs and means to create others, which without outside support would undoubtly need to deliver more and more and get more and more attention to themselves by having less competition into their system, I don't see how are they showing any sign of not lasting to you, it's just wishing as far as I can see.

And so you think PS + XB won't achieve 160M this generation? I don't know about the XB part there, but PS4 is shoting far ahead of the PS3, that's for sure, and it's already happening.

You are aware that at one point Sony was considering killing all first party development? That isn't a sign of having faith in their very strong first party teams, high profile studios, known IPs and means to create others.

They may be stronger than last gen, but their business model relies on selling massive quanities of units and games and getting razor thin profits. Like I said, if the scenario I predict happens, then Sony would quite easily be hurting. I'm getting a Sony fan vibe from you, so I'll leave it be, but I really don't think that Sony's footing is as solid as believed. One wrong move and the whole thing could quite easily go down, and I don't think that PlayStation would get through it unscathed.

The PC era is coming.

Mike321 said:
Consoles won't die in the near future, they will probably have less lifespan if they keep making them underpowered

That word again.... personally I think it's a very ignorant thing to say. Or just something someone says simply cause he/she hears someone else saying it. Which kinda brings us back to ignorant tho but yh.....

I'll ask this tho, underpowered when it compared to what? 

Why is it so hard for some to accept that the general public, or the mass majority of the kinda people that buy consoles do not care about having the most powerful piece of cutting edge technologies in their box and sure as hell aren't willing to pay the price premium that comes with that. Consoles, are designed and intended to be $400 powerhouses at launch. Anything more than that and sales tank (just look at ps3 sales before it got down to $399 or the 3DO or even the XB1 when it cost more than the PS4). When I hear that word when used against consoles, all I see is some ignorant person that doesn't seem to know the difference between PC gaming and console gaming. Who knows tho, maybe I'm the ignorant one that thinks there is a difference between the two. 

I'm not saying you are ignorant mind you. Just that that is a very ignorant thing to say. Or at least I think it is. 

On topic, what's it with Forbes and these silly baseless sensationalist articles of theirs?

Around the Network
Mike321 said:
Consoles won't die in the near future, they will probably have less lifespan if they keep making them underpowered

No, they won't. Especially with graphics having plateau'd.

Uabit said:
The PC era is coming.

Yes polictical correctness games like nice neighbours, all colours fishing and Cuddle of duty Blanket Careware.

bunchanumbers said:
BraLoD said:

They are not, Nintendo is constantly dropping in all kinds of good aspects as sales numbers, profit, and brand power.
Nintendo depends as much of third party support as any of the others console makers. They lose support, they lose power.

Nintendo is not self sustainable, just wait to see if the NX fails again how self sustainable they are, as if the Wii U is not already more than enough proof they are not and they need support in this bussiness just like everyone else does.

And what does that "doubt 160M XBOX and PS" is supposed to support here? When did a Nintendo home console did that much? Wii U won't be reching 20M or maybe not even 15M sales with lack of third party support, Nintendo desperatedly need support.

160m units is what Xbox and PlayStation sold last gen. Like I said I don't see them selling that many units. There will be contracting this generation.

The funny thing is that it doesn't really matter how many consoles Nintendo sells. They still are profitable. It doesn't matter what Wii U reaches, they're still making money. As for NX failing, they specifically restructured themselves in case they do have to stand alone. They consolidated their handheld and console teams. They made NX so that games can work on the handheld and console with little effort. They are maximizing their software output to avoid droughts.

Nintendo could quite easily be the only one making games on NX and be fine. Sony and MS would have both folded under the circumstances Nintendo deals with on a daily basis.

You, like Nintendo, seem to have no idea how much shit Nintendo is in. But you will see. 

I hope for Nintendo's sake they aren't thinking like you and actually make a proper console this time around and do all they can do to secure 3rd party support. I hope. Cause get this, nintendo will NOT survive another failure. They no longer have a handheld market to fall back on. And the long since lost their footing in the console space since after the SNES. if you are a half way decent follower of Nintendo and have at least one eye open on global trends then you would know what I mean. 

AlfredoTurkey said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Last quarter would be FY2015 Q3 right?

Sony http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/15q3_sony.pdf
Revenue: ¥587.1B
Operating Income: ¥40.2B

Nintendo http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-reports-q3-fy15-financial-results/
Revenue: ¥271.521B
Operating Income: ¥31.4B

How were they more profitable?

The last sales reports had Nintendo earning more than Sony's GAME DIVISION... not entire company. 

Wrong. Sony's gaming division made $330M vs Nintendo's $241M.

Oh guys, another stupid article to add......

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/03/08/microsoft-was-right-video-game-discs-are-stupid/#3a922adf1521

Now discs are stupid! Where do they get these people?